PDA

View Full Version : I posted "Fight Scene" a while back...

Brendan Carson
10-01-2000, 09:57 AM
G'day,
I posted a message entitled "Fight Scene" a while back, but when next time I looked it had disappeared. Normally I get emails if someone replies, but I think something went wrong this time.

Anyway, here it is again. Any input would be gratefully received...

I'm writng a scene where someone hits someone over the head with a beer-bottle. I would guess most of the time it doesn't break, but sometimes it does. I would imagine that if someone really had a
bottle broken over his or her head, it'd be dangerous and disfiguring...
although I don't know. What does happen "in real life"? Does the person holding the bottle get a hand cut to ribbons? How could you avoid this if you were to use a beer-bottle as a weapon?

And can a normal person really punch through the side window of a car?
Aren't they made of that special stuff with a layer of plastic in between so
it fractures but won't shatter? Can you even kick through? I know some
people can kick bloody hard, but it's a question of penetrating the window,
not breaking it. I don't imagine it'd be like roofing tiles, which are very
brittle. I know windscreens are practically invulnerable, but I think car windows are different.

And I don't mean "the ultimate warrior", I mean someone about my weight (95 kgs, maybe 200 pounds?) with a few years of something like Tae Kwon Do and who is very angry.

I'd be really grateful for some 'no bull****" help here. Since it didn't work last time, I can be emailed at
guncar@camtech.net.au

If I get this published, I'll cite you all.

BDC

Shame on the soul that falters on the road of life while the body still endures

[This message was edited by Brendan Carson on 10-02-00 at 03:07 AM.]

JerryLove
10-01-2000, 05:35 PM
Some people did respond, but on another identically named thread since we could not post to yours.

> Does the person holding the bottle get a hand cut to ribbons?

If the bottle shatters (hollywood bottles are made of sugar, not glass) you will probibly lacerate your hand because the nech is the most likely point of failure.

> How could you avoid this if you were to use a beer-bottle as a weapon?

Hold it with a towel. Or don't shatter it.

> And can a normal person really punch through the side window of a car?

Yes, but if the window is closes I don't expect his hand to remain unbroken. The front and side windows of an automobile are very tough.

>Aren't they made of that special stuff with a layer of plastic in between so it fractures but won't shatter?

Safetyglass. It shatters into small, non-sharp bits and remains held together.

>Can you even kick through? I know some people can kick bloody hard, but it's a question of penetrating the window, not breaking it.

I would imagine it is possible but unlikely. As you mention, more likely to break the glass without penitration.

> I don't imagine it'd be like roofing tiles, which are very brittle. I know windscreens are practically invulnerable, but I think car windows are different.

Depends on weather they are fully closed or not. Their shape evens out force well. Sunroofs are easier to break (I've been told).

JerryLove
10-01-2000, 05:36 PM
Double Post

edziak
11-09-2000, 09:20 PM
I've seen a guy punch through a closed car side window. The guy on the other side was taunting him, and recived a broken jaw.

Side windows are diferent than windshilds because theyre designed to break away so a firefighter or paramedic can get in. Windshields have a layer of plastic to keep people from flying through them.

brucelee2
11-10-2000, 12:33 AM
when I was in college a guy in my fraternity used to do this fairly often outside this bar we would go to and fight outside. He'd get into it with some guy, then kick in his side window. It took a number of kicks to do and this guy I don't think was any martial artist, though he was big and strong. He'd just kind of stomp at the window till it broke.

rogue
11-10-2000, 06:59 AM
I've never been hit with a beer bottle but according to one of my past instructors the bottles don't really break clean if they have a paper label on them. The label holds alot of glass which does some wicked damage to a person.

I used to be daga