PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Warrior Monk Shi Decheng Seminars

GeneChing
01-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Yep, it's on me - THE BIG FOUR OH (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=357) - and I'd like to invite you all to my party. Seriously, when does a forum moderator get a chance to do this? Of course, my birthday party will be a little different - such is the privaledge of beign an Associate Publisher.
My Shaolin monk master Shi Decheng, along with my Shixiong (another monk) Shi Xingwei, will be giving three special seminars at my other Shifu's school, Master Tony Chen's USA O-Mei Kung Fu Academy, right here in Fremont, CA on February 27 & 28 (the 28th is my birthday - I was just hours away from being a leap year kid). For more information, click here! (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/images/info/Shaolin_Poster.jpg) Shi Decheng is an excellent teacher - he has taught all over the world to all levels of students. Whether you are a rank beginner or a seasoned veteran of Shaolin Kung Fu, I'm sure you'll get something out of these seminars. I hope you all can make it.*

* I hope I can make it. I haven't had a lesson under Decheng since 2001 and now that I'll be 40, I'm sure I'm in for a butt-whuppin' :eek:

canglong
01-16-2004, 07:32 AM
Gene,
If I am not there in body I will be there in mind and spirit so I guess I owe you one when you turn eighty. Congratulations old timer lol j/k laughing at all those who said you would never make it to 17 now look at you movin' on in spite nice job but your work ain't done just yet...

bodhitree
01-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Hey dude
Happy B-day, If I invite you to my party, will you bring a monk (preferrably shaolin!;) )?:D

Shaolinlueb
01-16-2004, 12:04 PM
i wont be there gene but happy birthday man.

i see your enjoying yourself
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/images/ezine/0310_DengfengMassage.jpg :D

stimulant
01-16-2004, 12:52 PM
If the party were in England (or you send ticket...:)) then I would be there...maybe with my shifu to if I could think of how to say 'your invited to abirthday party' in mandarin!

johngreenhow
01-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Have a good one. By the way, for those of you who never met him, Gene still looks no more than 30. Must be doing something right...

Congratulations!

blooming lotus
01-19-2004, 03:17 AM
;) happy birthday gene...can't make it either, maybe next time ha. Oh yeah, do you realise that now when you go to China...you'll be 41 :p

GeneChing
01-19-2004, 11:19 AM
.... but hold off on the B-day wishes for another month. I must admit, putting together this monk seminar has been a great perk of the job, and I really hope to see some of you there. Instead of blowing out candles, you get to see me get spanked by some monks. :cool:

stimulant
01-19-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
[B get spanked by some monks. :cool: [/B]

does this mean the party will be an 18R, and have a XXX certifcate??

GeneChing
01-19-2004, 05:54 PM
...this is the monk that named my kid so it'll be a G presentation, kind of the way Bugs Bunny spanks Daffy Duck, not the way you'd probably like to spank Paris Hilton. But we digress.

For you SF Bay locals, or any visitors at the time, come on down for some traditional Songshan Shaolin Kung Fu. Instead of party favors, you'll leave with really sore legs. :cool:

Shaolinlueb
01-21-2004, 08:31 AM
hmm I might actually be able to work this into my schedule :D

GeneChing
01-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Really? That's quite a commute! Not as far as Shaolin Temple, though. Hope you can make it. That would be very cool to have a distant forum member come.

Shaolinlueb
01-21-2004, 12:27 PM
wel I've never been on a plane or to that part of the usa. If i dont get to go, im still planning a trip for dengfeng :cool: I am working on going though.

GeneChing
01-21-2004, 04:37 PM
BTW, here's another link that promotes the seminars - click here (http://www.tigerclaw.com/Tournament-Image/Seminar.htm) - Tiger Claw Foundation, our non-profit org, is the primary local promoter. All the profits will go back to the monks.

Scythefall
01-23-2004, 11:17 PM
I think I'll be coming up there, Gene:) It sounds like a blast! I'll see if any other Lohans want to come up with me.

I'll talk to you more as we get closer to the seminar time.

Ironwind
01-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Meet shaolin monks, at the same time.

I wish.

I'm too cheap.

Maybe you should bring them to my place.

I know an out doorsy place that i trained on here.

Big enough for a Family Reunion

Well maybe not, but happy b- day

4-0, you could be my father

then if you tried to give me a diserved spanking I'd call DengFeng:D

Shaolinlueb
01-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Looks like I cant go overall. My Sifu is taking over a school. and we are running thin with instructors right now so my services are needed here. :( next time Gene.

blooming lotus
01-26-2004, 06:11 PM
IF I WASN'T ON MY WAY OUT TO SHAOLIN...I WOULD BE SO JEALOUS!!!! HAVE FUN YOU GUYS....SEE YOU NXT ROUND ;)

GeneChing
01-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Scythefall - Sounds great! Email me for more details - gene@KungFuMagazine.com

Ironwind - I'll pass on that Dengfeng spanking, son.

Shaolinlueb - Too bad. Best of luck with the takeover. Hope it's not too hostile.

blooming lotus - We should be jealous of you going to Shaolin.

On an auspicious note, our first registered member is Giraldo Garcia who's coming all the way up from Mexico for this. For purely personal reasons, I'm calling him Jerry ;) . Looking forward to meeting you, JG!

David Jamieson
01-30-2004, 08:26 AM
don't forget to take him to ben and jerrys for two scoops of cherry garcia ice cream on your cake G. :D

And get him a dead shirt too!

40's not so bad, I will be following you into the big shift 1 month and 4 days after you turn!

Dragons unite!

I hope the seminar is a great success and lots of fun for all. I cannot make it myself as my sched does not have the room.

Have fun

Cheers

kai men
01-30-2004, 01:40 PM
Gene, I want to express my condolences jajajaja (no kidding I am 43 already and will be 44 on March 3th .. yes, another piscis)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY and HAPPY LIFE
horacio

GeneChing
02-02-2004, 06:36 PM
Yep, that's me. A pisces trying to leap over the dragon gate and become a dragon. Thanks for all the B-day wishes eveyone. Wish y'all could join me for the Shaolin party. I'd been wondering what to do on my 4-0, seems like Shaolin karma had it already worked out for me. Life is beautiful....sometimes.

MonkeySlap Too
02-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Just spotted this...I'll check with the wife if I can get my almost as old you self down there. Sounds like fun.

Happy Birthday!

GeneChing
02-03-2004, 04:37 PM
That would be great. So far we've only one person from the forum that has actually signed up. It's always good to see more forum members in the flesh.

BTW, I should mention that this is being coordinated by our non-profit branch, Tiger Claw Foundation (http://www.tigerclaw.com/Foundation/), so the money is going directly to the monks and their expenses for their visit. It's my birthday, so it's my charity. :cool:

canglong
02-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Well is the excitement building like lava rushing to the top of the summit;)

redtornado
02-10-2004, 10:26 AM
well, hafve a great time and feel good about this one!! Sorry can't make it there but still happy birthday!! Jeff

desertwingchun2
02-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Happy B-Day Gene !!!!

-David

oldmonkey
02-15-2004, 05:22 PM
You're still a young whipper-snapper next to me.
40--What a baby!

Oops, I forgot...sensitive fish-person.
I'll make like a fish and disappear.

Many blessings to you and your family.

GeneChing
02-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Hope some of you locals can actually make the party! We'll forego the cake and the pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey for mabu and monkey-steals-the-peach. ;)

GeneChing
02-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Shaolin monks Shi Decheng and Shi Xingwei are both here in our office today. It's a good day. :D

norther practitioner
02-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Try not to get your arse kicked too much these next couple of days!

Enjoy:)

norther practitioner
03-01-2004, 08:44 AM
hey, hope your weekend went well and everything... did you get the helicopter I sent over?

GeneChing
03-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Missed the helicopter - I was too busy eating carpet. Shi Decheng used me as his applications fall guy, so I spent a lot of time wondering who carpeted the wall. Oh, that's the floor. Ow.

It was a wonderful event - the seminars were very successful - thanks to everyone who came out and supported. And Mr. Garcia did make it from Mexico, just in time, after driving three days to get there. I'll fill you in more later.

norther practitioner
03-01-2004, 12:46 PM
Very cool, good to hear. So you're saying you got more than just birthday punches (some chin na and throws in there for good mesure).

Gene's First
03-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Gene - You eat carpet better than most! You should be proud of that skill. :-)

To all: You missed a great seminar - The monks were a joy to be sore for - It was an awesome workout.

GeneChing
12-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Shi Decheng is coming for another seminar, this time with his brother, Chen Qingsheng, China's national sanda champion in 1994. We're doing the seminars this weekend at the USA O-Mei Kung Fu Academy, but it'll be at the San Leandro branch, not the Fremont one. The seminars are next weekend - Jan 8-9, 2005 - for more info, go to our non-profit site, the Tiger Claw Foundation. (http://www.tigerclawfoundation.org)

OMG! Did Gene's first compliment me on my carpet eating last year and I missed it? I don't know what to say to that...

norther practitioner
12-29-2004, 04:07 PM
There is a post over at Doc's board too.

GeneChing
12-29-2004, 04:15 PM
We've been swapping emails this morning to finalize the details. Shaolin email - where would we be without it?

GeneChing
01-08-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm at the office for just a bit with Shi Decheng and his brother today. I'm sick as a dog, but I'm the host, Decheng is my shifu, and I'll still try my best at the seminar in an hour and a half. It's been raining here non-stop for days and a lot of my local Shaolin friends can't make it because they're sick. Me, I don't have that luxury. I gotta work for the next five days. Such is my lot. Shaolin is always a trial.

r.(shaolin)
01-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Hi Gene

Please ask Shi Decheng how many sets of Shaolin, Shi Suyun actually knew and taught out.

regards,
r.

GeneChing
01-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Right now, he's sightseeing. I doubt I can get an answer to the first part of your question; I certainly couldn't answer it myself for any of my masters. But I might be able to get at how what sets he learned from him. I'm curious myself.

GeneChing
01-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Ok, here's your answer. Shi Decheng said that on average, a present day wuseng knows about 80 forms. He doesn't know exactly how many forms Shi Suyun knew, but he figures it was significantly more. Suyun's speciality was Xiaohongquan. Decheng learned about 40 forms from Suyun, including Xiaohong, Wuxing, and Tamo Zhang.

That may not be as specific as you might like, since I stopped short of having him list them all.

David Jamieson
01-11-2005, 08:30 PM
bwhahahaha, carpet eater!

uh...is there something we should know G? :p

r.(shaolin)
01-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Gene, thank you for asking. It was very gracious of Shi Decheng to answer, please thank him for me.

kind regards,
r.

GeneChing
01-12-2005, 10:59 AM
r (s): That was a good question. I only met Suyun once, just a few months before he passed on. He was pretty ill then, and didn't wish to be interviewed because he was in pain. It was sad, but at least I did get to meet him. There were many disciples of Suyun, in fact, Decheng is not even the most prominent of them, so I'll continue chipping at his story when I can.

kl: The funny thing is that I doubt GF even knows the implication. If she does, I'll have to seriously reappraise our relationship...

oasis
01-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Hey Gene,

Found out last night in class that De Cheng called my shifu because he was interested in visiting the Big Easy, so he will be giving us a seminar next Friday :cool:

I'm really looking forward to it. It was explained that we will have a choice b/t an internal/external kf seminar and a staff seminar....hm, since i recently started a beginner's staff form, i'm not sure which one to pick! :confused:

GeneChing
01-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Deru was trying to hook up with Shi Decheng and host him for a few days in your area - he kept trying to contact him but missing will Decheng was here. I gave Decheng Deru's number and told him to call the day he was leaving, so I'm glad they worked it out. Decheng has never been to the Big Easy, so I'm sure he'll enjoy being a tourist there.

His internal seminar is probably going to be baduanjin. His staff will probably be yinshaogun. You'll probably get more out of the staff set at this point. Yinshaogun is a really solid form that beginners can learn and more intermediate appreciate.

Michaelwalter77
01-21-2005, 12:19 PM
I am a crazy man. Crazy about Shaolin that is. How crazy am I? I am going to fly to Cali, get there 2 hours before the Saturday seminars, train like never before and catch a plane that departs 1 1/2 hours after the seminars are over the same day. Where am I flying from? Central New York. If that isnt crazy enough, the reason that I have to be in and out like a bandit is because I am a self- employed snowplow driver. We got 181 inches of snow last year and this year has not been that much different. I gotta be home in case it snows. I have 24 hours from snowfall cessation to complete my route. 16 hours of fly time, 6 hours of training (with break). I think that I can make it by the skin of my teeth. This is how bad I want this. Kung Fu is all about dedication and perseverance. And besides, how many chances will we have to train with the men that we emulate. I would not miss this for the world or a blizzard. PS Happy B-Day, I'll bring a present!

oasis
01-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Michael,
It sounds like you're talking about the recent seminars in CA, which are over. Tonight De Cheng and his brother will be in New Orleans, and then they will be conducting seminars at the Liu Institute In Mobile, Al in case you would want to fly there!

Gene, supposedly we will be taught a new staff form since yin shou gun is the 2nd set taught in our curriculum. I'll let you know how it goes. and thanks for giving De Cheng the contact info :)

Michaelwalter77
01-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Holy Cow, I am CRAZY! I just went back and checked. That was Feb of 2004. Thanks for the input. I was going to get tickets today. I guess that I was blinded by excitement and overlooked the fine print. I hope I dont find out too late next time. Thank You so much for the info.

oasis
01-21-2005, 03:07 PM
really glad to be of assistance! i also neglected to mention that the seminars in mobile are tomorrow morning. if u still wanted to fly south, call The Liu Institute
251-343-6023
444 Azalea Rd.
Mobile, AL 36609

oasis
01-21-2005, 09:49 PM
we did the seminar after regular classes, and he taught us wu xing ba fa :cool: (if one is curious to see de cheng perform it check out russbo.com) when he mentioned the form, my friend and i smiled because a few months ago my teacher actually taught a couple of students nearly the same form but as a hu quan, so that basically all the hand movements are tiger strikes. have u ever heard of such a variation? nonetheless, it was great for the rest of us and shi de cheng did an excellent job breaking it into sections and correcting the numerous students in about an hour.

they said he would be teaching the mobile folks a staff form :(
:)

gene, i took the liberty to try to tell him that u said hi, and he smiled. i also tried to convey that i had the mag featuring him on xiao hong quan, and that i saw his chain whip and wu xing ba fa clips on russbo, and he smiled and said thank you, probably thinking i said i liked them, and i do :p

he's a very humble guy, and a good instructor. he started by explaining the 5 animals and the different stances in the form, and gave some of the movements' names (shifu translated), as well as demonstrated one of the snake applications.

DoGcHoW108
01-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Gene's First
Gene - You eat carpet better than most! You should be proud of that skill. :-)

I declare this to be the most disturbing post i have ever read.

any way, go on...

GeneChing
01-24-2005, 04:17 PM
O: I'm glad you enjoyed the seminar. Decheng has been teaching outside of China for well over a decade and has an amazing ability to meet the needs of his seminar students, no matter what level of skill they might be at. He is probably one of the most travelled of the martial monks out there today, with followers all around the world. I know that he's trying to set up an annual US tour. I know because we discussed it and that's his modus operendi. He is seeking to find enough students across the country to be able to support him making a trip out every year. Thank you for your support and I hope that with endorsements like yours, my master will be able to acheive his US tour route very soon. And please remember to thank Shawn Liu for sponsoring him. No tour can happen with out local sponsors.

DC: It's even more disturbing if you knew her. She's not like that at all. I'm sure she had no idea of the implications...

oasis
01-26-2005, 03:05 PM
wow, that is awesome news. i can tell you that all my peers were really excited about getting taught by de cheng, and they would love to see him again. so please encourage him to pursue his cross country tour, as he definitely has our support.

I've noticed that De Yang has travelled pretty well throughout the different shaolin schools at different times(ie vegas, new orleans/mobile, and new york). wouldnt that be cool if they coordinated something together, or that they rotated every six months in the states :cool:

As for catering to everyone's needs, it was interesting because there were several taiji students who never attended a kung fu class before but stayed back for the seminar. i think i may start a separate thread on the form itself since there does not seem to be a past discussion already...

GeneChing
01-27-2005, 06:17 PM
Both Shi Decheng and Shi Deyang move about the world on their own schedule, as does any monk not travelling with a tour. But it's always good to support the touring masters from China whenever you can. Not only will you get some good instruction, it always entices them to return. Wouldn't you?

GeneChing
11-27-2017, 12:37 PM
My Shixiong, Ye Xinglie (Andy) is hosting our master Shi Decheng (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?44742-Shi-Decheng) at his school, USA Shaolin Kungfu Zen Academy (http://www.shaolinkungfuzen.com/) in San Jose, CA. Below is some of the text from his flyer.

Shaolin Grandmaster Seminar
Grand Master Shi Decheng 2017 American Tour Teaching Silicon Valley SKZ

12/9/2017 SAT 5:00-7:00pm Shaolin traditional hand form - Qixing Mantis and application $100
12/10/2017 SUN 5:00-8:00pm Shaolin traditional hand form - Qixing Mantis and application and Xiao Huan Quan application $160

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPqeCDsVQAEGtDF.jpg:large

This is supported by the Tiger Claw Foundation (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?45830-Tiger-Claw-Foundation-Events). It is an SF Bay Area event (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?37378-SF-Bay-Area-workshops-from-the-Tiger-Claw-Foundation).

GeneChing
11-27-2017, 03:31 PM
Tiger Claw Foundation (http://tigerclawfoundation.org/)

Grand Master Shi Decheng 2017 American Tour Teaching Silicon Valley SKZ

The Tiger Claw Foundation is supporting the Grand Master Shi Decheng 2017 American Tour Teaching Silicon Valley SKZ on December 9-10 2017 at the USA Shaolin Kungfu Zen Academy (SKZ) in San Jose California. 12/9 SAT 5:00-7:00PM Shaolin Traditional Hand Form & Qixing Mantis and application ($100). 12/10 SUN 5:00-8:00PM Shaolin Traditional Hand Form & Qixing Mantis and application and Xiao Huan Quan application ($160). For reservations: usaskz@gmail.com or (408) 806-0155

In cooperation with ShaolinKungfuZen.com, sdcshaolin-kungfu.com, TigerClaw.com and KungFuMagazine.com

Decheng did some seminars in Florida with German Garcia last weekend. He's also in Las Vegas with Shi Xingwei (https://shaolin-kung-fu-chan.com/pages/shi-xing-wei).

Seminar by Shaolin Warrior Monk Shi Decheng (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?27822-Seminar-by-Shaolin-Warrior-Monk-Shi-Decheng)- SF Bay Area TCF supported event (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?37378-SF-Bay-Area-workshops-from-the-Tiger-Claw-Foundation)

GeneChing
12-14-2017, 11:17 AM
The digital edition of Kung Fu Tai Chi's JANUARY+FEBRUARY 2018 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70538-SHAOLIN-SPECIAL-January-February-2018) issue - our Shaolin Special - is available via Zinio (https://www.zinio.com/www/browse/product.jsp?productId=500626248#/).

I also had the honor of being present at Ye Xinglie's school, USA Shaolin Kungfu Zen Academy (http://www.shaolinkungfuzen.com/) in San Jose, CA, when a poster of the cover was presented before his students following the Grand Master Shi Decheng 2017 American Tour Teaching Silicon Valley SKZ (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?27822-Seminars-by-Shaolin-Warrior-Monk-Shi-Decheng&p=1306184#post1306184). I posted a few photos on facebook.

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/25300017_10156109083499363_3318549972493588709_o.j pg?oh=20aa3c1094e34df89fc3dedafd2df1e1&oe=5ABEB44A
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/25394651_10156109083509363_6696345118627233046_o.j pg?oh=6dd142b2461089e7be10be7c29156ec8&oe=5AC5EA52