PDA

View Full Version : attn vegetarians: your sex life may suffer

SevenStar
01-15-2004, 10:46 PM
I read something yesterday that said soy consumption can lead to erectile disfunction, among other things.

Cheese Dog
01-15-2004, 10:56 PM
I have been hearing for a couple of years now that too much soy can cause estrogenic effects. Don't know if it's true or not.

mickey
01-16-2004, 07:23 AM
Greetings,

Soy may also protect against prostate cancer.

mickey

Ford Prefect
01-16-2004, 07:37 AM
Correct. There have been numerous studies that show that consuming a lot of soy will supress testosterone and boost estrogen levels in men. Some even theorize that the reason why soy can reduce risk of heart attack and prostate cancer is for this very reason since both are male/testosterone-related problems. Soy in young boys can cause growth and development issues since it supresses testosterone, which is what turns boys into men (for simplicity's sake). Not something to be taken lightly.

mickey
01-16-2004, 08:20 AM
Ford Prefect,

Couldn't soy in small amounts act as an trigger for the body to produce more testosterone to maintain hormonal balance? I think this would be better than taking steroids.

mickey

Ford Prefect
01-16-2004, 08:37 AM
No.

Serpent
01-18-2004, 04:08 PM
So what's an overdose of soy then? For example, a lot of guys would replace milk with soy milk (lactose intolerant, etc.) How much effect would this have? Let's say you have soy milk on your breakfast cereal and one or two drinks of tea or coffee a day with soy milk in them - I guess that's a fairly normal usage. Would this be enough to cause problems?

joedoe
01-18-2004, 07:12 PM
I use soy milk on my cereal in the morning. So far I have not noticed any problems :D

Spark
01-19-2004, 09:22 AM
I've been drinking Soy for five years and all I know is that the ladies sure haven't complained about it IFYOUKNOWWHATI'MSAYINAWWYEAH

Ford Prefect
01-19-2004, 09:56 AM
There ya go. Irrefutable, scientific proof from the "sXe Warrior". Sounds legit to me. :rolleyes:

inic
01-19-2004, 10:04 AM
gee, people really need to do more research with soy. anyhoo, it stops your body from absorbing D and b12 (IIRC, its been awhile since i dwelled on the soy subject).
Japanese wives feed their hubbys lots of tofu when they didnt want to get pregnant. What does that tell ya?
SO ALL YOU MORONS EAT MORE TOFU!! Cause i don't want morons reproducing.
I'm leaving this open for retaliation!

inic
01-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Spark
I've been drinking Soy for five years and all I know is that the ladies sure haven't complained about it IFYOUKNOWWHATI'MSAYINAWWYEAH

well, I would expect compliments too if I was banging my cousins as well. I mean, family always gonna be positive!

HAHA!
j/k, i'm in a dis'ing mood

Spark
01-19-2004, 11:19 AM
that was harsh.

I'd take offense if I had any cousins or was from the states. lucky for me neither apply!

rubthebuddha
01-19-2004, 10:54 PM
don't mind him -- he's on the east coast, and east coasters have the idea of bangin their cousins in the forefront of their minds.

looking_up
01-20-2004, 09:36 AM
I don't think anyone here has to worry about soy milk or tofu turning them into girly men.

Mr Punch
01-26-2004, 04:16 AM
Can anyone point me to some 'evidence' of the evils of say that aren't from US soy or US labs?

Six years ago, when I last researched the literature in uni 80% of US soy was genetically modified (as in transgenics not as in breeding programmes before some smartass pipes up with 'We've been GMing as long as we've been breeding plants'), and specifically 60% was modified to increase soy estrogen because of pest resistance and growth benefits. And funnily enough, little American boys have been growing breasts!!!

For cenuries, the Japanese have been consuming more soy products and derivatives than any other country until the US govt subsidized mass-farming soy feed industry came along last century... and I'm not sure but I think you'll find that there was no significant infertility rate in Japan for those centuries, or even now.

Two other things to note:
1) If you live in America approx 80% of your processed food contains soy derivatives. Not to mention animal feed. You are eating soy, and a lot of it with genetic modifications for which there have not been sufficient tests before being released on Joe Public.
2) Plant estrogen is not the same thing as natural animal oestrogen. While consumption of way way too much estrogen will possibly mimic the effects of oestrogen, absorption through digestion is not necessarily correlated so significantly to developing female charcteristics.

rubthebuddha
01-26-2004, 09:39 AM
mat -- little boys growing man-boobs is probably more because of too many happy meals. ;)

back to the topic -- anyone have good links detailing the differences between plant and animal estrogen, as well as the GM done currently? we need more reading material. :)