PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the 'masters' gone?

stimulant
01-17-2004, 07:22 AM
I was re-watching a video of an international TCMA competition (about 2 years old) that happened in USA. When it got to the masters demostration, it was diabolical. Only two of the masters actually looked good and like they knew what they were doing (I'm pleased to say my master was one of those 2!).

All the masters had a big intro with someone anouncing that they are this and there are that and generally biggng them up etc etc, and they go on to preform some of the worst examples of forms I have ever seen. One of the worst ones was even a former Inside Kung-Fu magazine instructor of the year!

Maybe they could fight, but there forms displayed no amount of skill except for remembering movements (and even that skill escaped one 'master' who forgot his tai qi form!).

They all got applause, but the difference in apprecation after their demostrations and that of the 2 good demos (A woman doing excellent eagle claw and my shifu doing mizong quan) was deafening.

While this has left me in more dismay than before at the state of TCMA, it has certainly made me apprecate the treasure I have in my shifu.

Just wanted to have a grumble sorry!

David Jamieson
01-17-2004, 07:30 AM
there never was a multitude of kungfu masters to begin with. :D

it's not like there are dozens and dozens of them around every corner waiting to turn you into the next jackie chan. lol

be happy with what you have. even if it's not much, it is something.

cheers

Mr Punch
01-17-2004, 08:24 AM
It's OK, I'm still here.

Chang Style Novice
01-17-2004, 03:35 PM
PGA tour in Atlanta.

SevenStar
01-17-2004, 03:47 PM
trust no one...

Chang Style Novice
01-17-2004, 03:56 PM
No, really, I will burn those CDs for you someday! It's just I can't possibly limit myself to one disc for the stuff you asked for. It's looking like a four disc set right now...