PDA

View Full Version : Intellectual property rights in MA

WanderingMonk
01-18-2004, 08:05 PM
I like hear other people's thoughts on intellectual property rights in martial arts.

So, if you take kung-fu add some bjj to it, would it still be kung-fu?

Okaniwans took kung-fu add some of their te to it, but it is call okaniwan karate.

Japanese took okaniwan karate, took some materials out, and it became Japanese karate.

If you integrated groundwork materials into your striking, and grappling materials, why can't you claim it as your own and call it kung fu?

Why can Gracies take JJJ and modified it and then call it their own and hence Bjj or Gjj?

Who wrote the intellectual property right laws on martial arts and where can I get a copy?

discuss

wm

cerebus
01-18-2004, 08:16 PM
There are no intellectual property rights laws for martial arts (though there are some for specific "names" of martial arts like "Gracie Jiujitsu" and "Villari's Shaolin Kempo" etc). Otherwise do whatever you want.

joedoe
01-18-2004, 08:24 PM
It is martial arts hence whatever you produce you have a right to call your own, unless you copy it exactly - in which case it is debateable as to whether it can be called art :).

If I took a Monet and did some finger painting in the corner, is it still a Monet? :D

cerebus
01-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Of course it is. But now it's Monet ala Joedoe. And as hard as it is to conceive of, if you market it properly you'll get MORE for it than for the original!!!:eek:

Vash
01-18-2004, 09:28 PM
The laws were written either by Sin The', Gichen Funakoshi, or the Black Power Ranger, now head of XMA (which Suxors!).

My thoughts; they're all in it together.

True story.

joedoe
01-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by cerebus
Of course it is. But now it's Monet ala Joedoe. And as hard as it is to conceive of, if you market it properly you'll get MORE for it than for the original!!!:eek:

LOL. OK, what if I copied a Monet but replaced a corner with some finger painting? :)

cerebus
01-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Then it would have to be called a "Monet-Do" or perhaps "Monet Shu". :p :p

Serpent
01-19-2004, 04:10 PM
So what if I was teaching a hack together brand of kempo karate and then decided that there was more money in kung fu, especially if it had Shaolin in the name, so I kept all my Japanese uniforms and terms and stuff and just called it Shaolin.....

Oh.