PDA

View Full Version : Bagua / XingYi in Australia

johngreenhow
01-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Hi all,

I'm fresh into Australia and am looking for Bagua and XingYi classes/masters, having caught just little in China - enough to get me deeply interested.

Am currently floating between Sydney/Melbourne - anyone know anyone?

Thanks loads,

John

blooming lotus
01-19-2004, 03:10 AM
that's the funniest thing I ever heard. Good instruction is very hard to find here. There is one guy just outside of Sydney central ....he's very good...I'll find his email address or contact details ...leave it with me ;)

Syd
01-19-2004, 02:28 PM
G'day John,

You've got Willian Ho who does some kind of Bagua that's supposed to be quite good. He can be found at the Chinese Gardens in China Town. Or there is Keith Brown who trains at Glebe Primary School Tues and Thurs nights Glebe Pt rd in Sydney.

Both are well recommended.

Best, Syd

johngreenhow
01-19-2004, 04:22 PM
Thankyou both very much!

Watahhh
01-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Gary Martin in Western Sydney. Teaches Original Yang Tai Chi Chuan, Shansi Hsing-i and Dragon Pa Qua. Very big school with lots of senior students. If your serious about training this is the place to go.

My opinion might be biased since I'm a student there though. Hehe.

jon
01-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Im one of William Ho's students, if your interested drop me a private message and ill give you some contact details.

Sifu teaches Bagua(Jiang Rong Chao) and Taichi (Yang).

He also has students like me and Jack who teach San Da, MMA and Thai boxing.

Jon

joedoe
01-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
ok..the guy is Cudgee..his name is Shi Defon and he mainly does private lessons. He charges abut $60/hr but will almost definately do a discount once he realises prior experience or genuine interest. He may even be able to give you a contact of someone closer... his cell no. is 0407 918 604....

be warned, there are a lot of dodgey schools down there...

good luck and enjoy your leg ;)

I know you are trying to help him out, but you probably shouldn't put someone's phone number on the internet ;)

blooming lotus
01-21-2004, 01:01 AM
very good point...;)

johngreenhow
01-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Thanks - I'll be in touch just as soon as I've found work.

But seriously, who's going to start making crank phone calls to a kungfu sifu?

Azrael
01-26-2004, 03:33 AM
Hey John,

It is very short notice but my Bagua teacher has just brought Grandmaster Ma Chuan Xu out from Beijjing, who is the current head of the Liang Shi style of Bagua. His qualifications are rather extensive, and believe me, it does not get any more authentic than this. He also has a strong reputation for taking a very combat orientated approach to bagua.

He is visisting Australia for 5 weeks, but is only going to be giving instruction for this week only in Sydney. Currently there is an intensive course which I am undergoing, and a special 1 day seminar that will be held this coming Sunday.

All the training is being conducted at the Chin Wu Athletics Association in Chinatown, CBD Sydney. After he leaves, his student, who is my teacher, Dr Kinglsey Fong, will be continuing a core weekly classes at a location yet to be decided, which will continue on Master Ma's teachings. Attending the seminar will assist in this continuation as Master Ma will be developing specific training notes for each individual who attends. Master Ma will also be returning to Australia on an annual basis to continue these instructions.

For more bio information on either Grandmaster Ma, visit http://www.chinafrominside.com

If you or anybody else is interested in learning more, please feel free to send me an email, and I will forward you more information.

Joedoe: How's things my friend? When is the big day? I know you must be busy with all the arrangments, but hoepfully we can find a time to catch up one of these days. I still gotta give you a copy of the tape with you kicking my ass on it. :P

Jon: How about you brother, hows life treating you? You still teaching at the high school? Btw, does your shifu still teach at the chinese gardens? I'm actually moving out to Penrith, so maybe we can hook up sometime as we will be a bit closer. We can chuck on the gloves this time and play with some appliactions if your up for it.

blooming lotus
01-26-2004, 05:00 PM
John

Sounds good. I'm sure we'll all be interested to know how you got on