PDA

View Full Version : OT: supplements for training

Strangelove
12-19-2000, 04:57 AM
I am doing wing chun 2 times a week plus I work out at the gym 3 times a week. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with supplements such as Ripped fuel [stuff with Mua ha "ephedrine"].

I am curious because I wish I could do more at the gym and this stuff is going to help me do more reps and sets and having a very low bodyfat% would really help me in wing chun.

Thanks

Taijimantis
12-19-2000, 07:22 AM
I would steer away from ma hua.

If you are looking to build an impressive physique, my reccomendation is dont. Train specific for what you do, then what you need will be there. I studied strength training for a while in college and my brother in law is a personal trainer and CEO of a wellness company. I have talked with him about these things often enough.

Everything has its side effects, many are not so good, and it all depends on the individual's body chemistry.

I am 100% natural and have succeeded in reaching my goals with little help from outside sources. Proper nutrition is much more important than supplimenting or trying to increase metabolic rate with stimulants.

I used ma hua for a while with no ill effects and then one day my heart felt like it was going to burst and I couldnt slow down. They went into the trash that night. There is even new reports of seizure and neuro disfunction with this compound. The fact is too many people just use these substances improperly.

My reccomendation is to get a lot of protein (I eat no meat so I use nuts, seeds, soy, whey etc.) for muscle growth, eat plenty of veggies, eliminate processed sugar and flours, drink a ton of water, and if you need a little stimulation, green tea or ginger tea works well. Then plenty of cardio work in addition to your Kung Fu training, running or cycling (my favorite jumping rope with weighted rope) and so on to burn the fat.

When you weight train you increase your metabolic rate both during work and rest... you increase your calorie burn even while you sleep. Try limiting your meals to between 9 am and 5 pm, at least dont eat four hours prior to going to bed. Eat several smaller meals instead of three large ones, and make your meals larger earlier in the day, and decrease the size as the day goes on.

We in te west like to see results fast, and that is a problem. Building a healthy body takes hard work just like building martial skill. It does not come overnight. Dont look to outside sources for hep until you listen to what your body tells you. Our bodies are remarkable machines and can tell us a great deal if we only shut up and listen
:) :)
Namaste

kull
12-19-2000, 08:24 AM
Ma Huang is one herb used in traditional chinese medicine, mainly for begining stages of a influenza. It is not meant to be a diet drug. The pure extract of Ma Huang has been used by the drug companies(I believe Merck was the first, but not 100% postive) and sold as pseudoephedrine. Your common drug for stuffy sinus, runny nose, etc.

Traditionally it causes the lung qi to move for coughing and asthma type conditions. Chinese medical text warns against use for long term as it may cause spasm and weakness from excessive sweating. It is should not be used by ppl. with heart arrythmias(it can casue hear attack), high blood pressure(as it may cause stroke). Long term use can also cause insomnia and restlesness.

Modern research has shown to cause bronchodilation, diaphoresis, vasoconstriction- meaning it raises blood pressure by narrowing the blood vessels. At same time it also causes the coronary artery(artery of the heart) to dilate and increse blood flow. That is prob.why tajimantis exp. heart palpitations.

Plz. don't look at herbs as natural=safe. Herbs are drugs that can heal or cause damage to body if improper used.

WuXia
12-19-2000, 09:14 AM
Before making a descision to use these drugs, first find out more about it. Im not saying dont do it, just look at the facts, and decide for yourself.

Ma Huang and ephedrine are both dangerous and can cause little more dammage than good. Ephedrine promotes the release of noradrenaline (a neurotransmitter). In the past (in my country) it was prescribed as bronchodilator. It is good to relax the muscles surrounding the airways, thereby easing breathing difficulty caused by asthma, emphysema and bronchitis. Ephedrine may stimulate the heart and central nervous system causing palpitations and anxiety.

Ephedrine (in my country) can be bought over the counter without a prescription. Most pharmasists would not sell it to anyone, but then again they cant always do proper control over the selling.
Ephedrine is a banned substance in professional sports. As I said, I do not reccomend using this drug, but the choice is yours. dont do anything, unless you have made an informed descision.