PDA

View Full Version : tradition & foundation

Shaolinlueb
01-19-2004, 09:37 AM
I just did a traditional class for stance training. It was an hour long and i must have spent a half hour of it in horse stance. then we switched poses and held. oh man. my legs felt like jelly afterwards.
It was all going on the strong foundation of basics. What do the Sifu's and Students think of foundation?

Losttrak
01-19-2004, 10:45 AM
Foundation is of course paramount. And in case you havent found out yet... if you stay down for a long time regularly... the act of getting up actually gives your legs an "orgasm"... seriously..... =D (I am soo wrong)

ninja
01-19-2004, 01:47 PM
I would get my foundation at a karate school

stimulant
01-20-2004, 02:38 AM
foundation is the key.

many years ago there was a dutch jodo-ka who beat the Japanese in the world championships (which was unheard of at the time). When the Japanese asked him how he was so good he replied that he trains the basics! Point being if everyones style is built around something.....if you forget to train everything else DONT forget to train the basics, the foundations of your style.

dimmakseminar
01-20-2004, 08:00 AM
Dear Mr. Shaolinlueb:

Foundation is the building stone of good Shao-lin Kungfu. In my travels, I have seen many a Kungfu school built on foundations. In fact, all of the good ones are built on foundation; the rest just seem to fall apart.

Good foundation should consist of two years of mabu/gongbu training even if you have studied at another Kwoon or Dojo, practising the same style! Your mabu/gongbu will likely even then not be good enough for your Sifu!

After building the foundation, you can then see through the walls and only then can you unlock the doors to the secrets of kungfu!!!

Respectfully,

dimmakseminar

Shaolinlueb
01-20-2004, 08:21 PM
Well with my old sifu it was nice, but we didnt do too much on foundation. i mean we would train the stances and stuff and it was good. then when he left and I started training with my current sifu it felt like i was relearning a lot of stuff. i felt like crud. but since the emphasis on basics (6 months of it since i started training with him.) i have improved greatly. its like i as an upside down pyramid. i was tipping over with stuff. but now u an nire revers and a regular pyramid with a lot of basics practicing. and thats what is currently happening at the school and the students themselves are improving.

I love foundation. i been practing the mabu gongbu training and other holding stances. and forms with a lot of basics. its great.

ninja
01-21-2004, 07:04 AM
SHAOLINLUEB, HENGXIN?

Shaolinlueb
01-21-2004, 07:57 AM
hengxin? im not familier with the word.

Ironwind
01-24-2004, 10:50 PM
ONly for foundationShould deep stance holding be done. everthing else should be a constant movement small or large.