PDA

View Full Version : wushu vs traditional shaolin

ninja
01-19-2004, 02:06 PM
i recently read that there was a difference between wushu and traditional shaolin. has anyone heard this before? could someone enlighten me some of the different characteristics please. thanks

MasterKiller
01-19-2004, 02:13 PM
:rolleyes:

Jademoon
01-20-2004, 01:30 AM
Well I could be way off the mark hear but I thot Wushu is a sport that China maid to take the place of Kung Fu when thay outlawed Kung Fu and Shaolin is an old Kung Fu that China tried to get rid of for a bit with Wushu :p a gen I may be way off on that thow

stimulant
01-20-2004, 02:34 AM
whusu - modern, eye pleasing, acrobatic. Most martials moves removed from it, not practical for fighting.

Tradition shaolin - minimal acrobatics, eye pleasing, 1000's of techniques practical for fighting.

if you got time then go to http://www.zhenwei.org/History/HistoryMartialArts.htm and read, its a fantstic article about history of chinese martial arts.

Tit Sa
01-20-2004, 04:39 AM
Wushu- more concerned with eye pleasing components. How high you can jump, how fast you can do a somersault, how high is your kick...etc.

Trad. kungfu- How to protect yourself....Eye pleasing?...who the fuk cares

P.S.
stimulant-

Well if you ask a wushu practitioner they will say it is practical :D

mortal
01-20-2004, 10:04 AM
I think the I pleasing components to the I are they way to go.

When are you going to have a fight in the "street" anyway?

Shaolinlueb
01-21-2004, 08:50 AM
isn't there a thread about this already? search the forums ninja.

ninja
01-21-2004, 09:13 AM
SHI DE MORTAL

dimmakseminar
01-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Dear Mr. ninja:

My experience has been that Shao-Lin is linear in nature, whereas Wushu is circular. Which begs the question; how do you defend yourself using Shao-Lin, if someone attacks you from an angle?

Fervently awaiting a reply from Mr. GeneChing,

dimmakseminar

mortal
01-21-2004, 01:14 PM
What if someone tackles you from behind while your drawing your name in wet cement?

Would you Pak your way out?

What tech is best?

norther practitioner
01-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Shao-Lin is linear in nature

:rolleyes:

stimulant
01-23-2004, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by dimmakseminar
Dear Mr. ninja:

My experience has been that Shao-Lin is linear in nature, whereas Wushu is circular. Which begs the question; how do you defend yourself using Shao-Lin, if someone attacks you from an angle?

Fervently awaiting a reply from Mr. GeneChing,

dimmakseminar

shaolin is linear??? what have you been doing, shaolin-do?

may I recommend a you try traditional shaolin from a tradional school.

also please ear in mind.....most whusu is extreamly watered down shoalin.

Shaolinlueb
01-23-2004, 06:16 AM
wushuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

:D

kungfudude14895
01-23-2004, 06:30 AM
wushu isnt just for eye pleasing, its got many practical components of fighting.

stimulant
01-23-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by kungfudude14895
wushu isnt just for eye pleasing, its got many practical components of fighting.

its had most of its practical elements changed and removed, while there is still a degree of practicality, its watered down to much. a look at whusu history and why it came into exsitance will clear up any misconceptions you may have.

read http://www.zhenwei.org/History/HistoryMartialArts.htm

MasterKiller
01-23-2004, 07:30 AM
shaolin is linear??? what have you been doing, shaolin-do?

may I recommend a you try traditional shaolin from a tradional school. Northern Shaolin-based forms are generally linear, moving East to West.

Wushu forms generally move from corner to corner of the ring so that each corner judge gets a good look at the form, which means they go SE to SW, NE to NW, generally.

stimulant
01-23-2004, 07:46 AM
well I guess I'm judging shaolin styles too much on my chosen one which is Northern, but very un-linear....but what would you expect form Lost track boxing - mizong quan!

Our forms are all over the place, ......but now thinking about it we do have forms such as 'shaolin fist' and 'small shaolin fist'. 'small shaolin fist is a little linear, and 'shaolin fist' is a little linear to, but apart from that most of our forms are more roudned than a sphere!

norther practitioner
01-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Ours move in lines too, but I still wouldn't concider it linear (after you look at the footwork).

bonetone
01-27-2004, 02:47 AM
I thought Wu shu was a term meaning martial art, or combat art, where as kung fu is an American reference to Chinese boxing, but would be translated as skills developed over time. Shaolin is the name of a temple where they developed wu shu skills and did so their entire lives, thus having high levels of kung fu. It seems semantics can confuse things with non-chinese speakers. Wushu is now commonly a reference to the gymnastic like performances that were designed according to CHinese Govt approval, but based on traditional wushu techniques. There is still a lot of martial applications that could be gleaned from the them, but the practioners of "modern wushu" do it mostly as a sport, similar to gymnastics, or figure skating.

Brad
01-27-2004, 06:29 AM
Wushu forms generally move from corner to corner of the ring so that each corner judge gets a good look at the form, which means they go SE to SW, NE to NW, generally.
For the competition longfist forms this is mostly true(you have to reach each corner or something I think) but for the learning forms, they're mostly linear and more like traditional forms.

GeneChing
04-23-2019, 03:14 PM
SPRING 2019 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1472)

Teaching Modern Wushu at Shaolin
Master Liu Yu’s Culminating College Education Field Experience
By Emilio Alpanseque

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/upload/4338_KFM2019-Spring.jpg