PDA

View Full Version : Can Capoeira guys fight?

Fred Sanford
01-20-2004, 02:52 AM
This copiera guy walked up to me in the park when I was practicing forms and challenged me to fight. I wasn't sure about him so I asked him to stop picking on me and please leave me alone.

He told me he is going to kick my ass the next time he sees me in the park. Should I be worried? what kind of techniques should I look for?

Repulsive Monkey
01-20-2004, 03:34 AM
Not sure but they dance really well!!!!!!

cerebus
01-20-2004, 04:46 AM
I fought a Capoeira expert from Brazil in an open "point" tounament years ago (when I was doing the "point" sparring stuff). Though he was an incredible athlete, he was using circular techniques almost exclusively (mostly kicks) and alot of spinning kicks. When he attacks, drive in straight at him with front kicks & straight punches. Even though my experience was in a tournament, I was able to hit the guy almost at will with that strategy. And why's he being such a d!ck anyway? Just kick his azz, then he'll probably want to be friends. :D :D :D

kungfudude14895
01-20-2004, 06:11 AM
yep

CaptinPickAxe
01-20-2004, 06:29 AM
Tell him to take his hippy drum circle elsewheres...then punch him in the chops and send him on his way.:D

If he's so bold as to say something like, "I'm gonna kick your ass next time I see you," then he deserves a romping. Make it so he'll never want to make a challenge match again...just make him your b!tch, and all the while tell him he is such.

Judge Pen
01-20-2004, 06:34 AM
I've only seen to Caporeia guys fight. One was pretty good and the other stunk. Cerebus' strategy seemed to work from what I saw, although someone who knew what they were doing with that stuff could make it hell on your legs.

BTW, good to have you back (even if you are an ass to my style sometimes!)

Joseph_alb
01-20-2004, 07:23 AM
Theres only one thing you can really do when you encounter a Bully......and thats giving him your lunch money. It works like a charm.

Bluesman
01-20-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Joseph_alb
Theres only one thing you can really do when you encounter a Bully......and thats giving him your lunch money. It works like a charm.

Not true. When I was in 1st grade I was being picked on by a 2nd grader on the school bus. I turned around and beat him with my lunch box. I did overhead strikes till he covered up and then side to side till he cried like a girl and the driver pulled over.
The lunch box was trashed. I could not open it anymore as I did not have the finger strength that was required. I had to trade with my sister's girly lunch box but no one made fun of me because of what happended to my Lost In Space lunch box. It would be worth some money now.
Anyway, when I was in the 10th grade the same guy was now in the 11th. He was a lineman on the football team and I was now buying my lunch. One day on the way home from school, he turned his senior ring around and cracked my skull with it, well it felt that way! I looked at him and he said " That's for the lunchbox."
Well I thought that he would have forgotten about that, you know so many years ago and at first I was going to play dumb. Then I thought if this was all that I was going to get out of it , well just keep your mouth shut and turn around.
Take a big metal lunch box with a thermos of chili with you to the park.
cerebus, simplex,thorn,silent knight are the security systems that I worked on a few years ago.

sticky fingers
01-20-2004, 08:08 AM
How do u know he is a Capoerista?
How do you know he hasn't trained in anything else?

MasterKiller
01-20-2004, 08:18 AM
When he tries to do that stupid, 1-handed upside-down kick, kick him in the stomach, then take his wallet, then plss on his head, then do his girlfriend in the dog.

Mr Punch
01-20-2004, 08:31 AM
I agree with MK except the following...
Originally posted by MasterKiller
...then do his girlfriend in the dog. ... cos I don't know what it means :confused: :(

Ren Blade
01-20-2004, 08:57 AM
He just feels all insecure when he saw you doing your forms. Always carry a knife. Tell him to leave you alone next time. If he's really serious bout kicking your ass, he will do it. Have your knife ready, go straight in and cut him when he attacks. He shouldn't be threatening you to begin with. He should expect such a reaction for wanting to hurt you.

mortal
01-20-2004, 09:00 AM
NO!

truewrestler
01-20-2004, 09:03 AM
Take a month of BJJ, tackle him and you should be fine

MasterKiller
01-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Also, after a month of BJJ, you will know what it means to be done in the dog.

Bow wow wow yippee yo yippee yay

truewrestler
01-20-2004, 09:10 AM
lol, you have me crackin up MK

looking_up
01-20-2004, 09:21 AM
he's all talk - show no fear nor aggression. He'd have to be psycho to just walk up and hit you. If he is, I like Ren Blade's knife idea. Just make sure you cut out his eyes and his tongue so he can't sue you. Ha ha.

Chang Style Novice
01-20-2004, 09:27 AM
The next time you see him in the park, you come after him.

shaolin kungfu
01-20-2004, 09:28 AM
f@rt on his head next time you see him

yenhoi
01-20-2004, 09:30 AM
Caporeia peeps are knife players. Odds are he does some kinda cardio caporeia, or he would have robbed you already.

:eek:

Judge Pen
01-20-2004, 09:36 AM

Thanks MK, I just spit my tea all over my desk! :D

mortal
01-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Or a month of grados wing chun!

SevenStar
01-20-2004, 12:51 PM
A friend of mine who trained MT recently sparred a capoeirista and said that the guy gave him a harder time than anyone has in a long time, mainly because he never knew where the guy's next attack would come from.

real capo will have infighting - elbows and takedowns - gotta watch for those, as the ones that I've seen look nothing like takedowns when they are launched. Confusing little b@stards...

Meat Shake
01-20-2004, 01:06 PM
"Take a big metal lunch box with a thermos of chili with you to the park."

Yes, and throw the chili in his eyes. It must be hot.
Then spit on him and talk **** while he tries to hit you in a blind rage, and right before he can see again, kick the **** out of him.
To add insult to injury, have an orgy with his wife, mother, and sister.
Take pictures and put them up at his office.
Thatll show the ****er who he is messin with.

old jong
01-20-2004, 02:11 PM
So,you knew he was a capoera guy or he had a capoera sign on him announcing his club?...
Ah!...The internet!...:rolleyes:

old jong
01-20-2004, 02:14 PM

And he will be running away with his tail between his legs...."Hoice Hoice Hoice!!!":rolleyes:

secondregime
01-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Put 5 inch spikes in the ground, then remember where they are and when he starts a fight, he will be swinging his legs like crazy and with all that momentum one of the spikes will go right through his foot. Then you can just claim you had no idea it was there, so there is no criminal evidence.

Shaolinlueb
01-20-2004, 08:14 PM
hmm dance in circles. the guy sounds like a *****. i would kick him in the nuts when he isnt looking. :D

SanSoo Student
01-20-2004, 08:43 PM
Pull out a gun and shot him in the legs. :D

Joseph_alb
01-20-2004, 09:50 PM
I said give him your lunch money, not your lunchbox. Nobody cracks a ring on your head if your giving them money. ;)

Internal Boxer
01-21-2004, 05:20 AM
Fred get some submission fighting skills, go in for the take down, get side control, then mount, punch him in the face a few times, he will extend his arms to try and gouge you in the face then take him for an arm bar, (this works like a dream on fighters with no grappling expereince, used it myself many times).

Be nasty Fred, make sure you break it, he will be in shock, then proceed to break all his other limbs then lets see him do his gay cartwheels the big puff. :D :D

old jong
01-21-2004, 06:55 AM
Just mount the guy backward and use the shaolin skunk style! :eek:

PHILBERT
01-21-2004, 07:02 AM
EmptyCup, you sure its just coffee now he'll bring back for you, right?

phantom
01-18-2005, 02:56 PM
But what if he knows BJJ as well? It seems to be fairly common for Capoeira people to cross train in BJJ.

SevenStar
01-18-2005, 03:07 PM
capoeira guys are definitely capable of fighting. I've sparred with a few exponents since a capoeira class was started in our club. Also, as phantom mentioned, it's not uncommon for them to cross train. One of the brazilian guys at the club has trained capoeira for years, and he is also a bjj purple belt under de la riva.

There was a vale tudo match where a capoeirista defeated a bjj guy - they created a song about it that sounds pretty good. It's in the rotation that the guys at our club train to.

jun_erh
01-18-2005, 05:36 PM
I know alot of guys, mostly black guys who are into capoeira. Theyt could kick my ass but probably not if they just used that stuff. It's more for fun and spirituality. like wushu or breakdancing or something.

SAAMAG
01-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Structurally speaking, use linear techniques to defeat circular ones...

Mentally speaking, tell him that you don't fight to kick ass, you fight to kill. Ask him if he's ready to die that day...if not, come back when he is. Make sure to look him dead in the eyes.

Reality speaking, you probably won't ever see the guy again anyway. Butif you do, hope for the best and prepare for the worst...the knife idea is excellent, better would be a gun...but if you're speaking central park, then forget it because you can't carry a gun in NY.

And philosophically speaking, simply practice somewhere else...go with the flow of the universe and don't look for trouble by going back to where you had the initial confrontation.

FuXnDajenariht
01-18-2005, 10:21 PM
are you trying to get the guy sent to rikers island or what?

Fred Sanford
01-19-2005, 01:09 AM
Actually I ran into that guy again and he kicked my a$$ All that forms training didn't seem to help much. I don't study martial arts anymore right now. I'm thinking about learning bjj I hear that it is supposed to teach effective fighting skills.

Mr Punch
01-19-2005, 04:37 AM
Trollazz! :D

Still, people answered it, and it was funny...

you haven't been around for ages... still training hard?

SevenStar
01-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by cjurakpt
one thing you can be sure of if he's really training capoeira - he's gonna be in pretty darn good shape, especially upper body, and he's gonna have a lot of wind; that aside, it's hard to say - he may think he's pretty hot stuff doing the roda w/his capo buddies - but they don't train to fight really - it's more like a back and forth of technique where the point is to balance out the other guy's techniques: you "win" by showing him up ather than beating him down -

that's not true. it's friendly in a friendly roda, but in a bacchizado (sp?) which are the tournaments they have, it's not always friendly. I've seen video of people getting kneed, kicked, etc. pretty darn hard. The two guys that teach at my school are from two different camps - they had to be around eachother for a while before they would roda with eachother... I think it's a pollitical thing.

also, they don't really have much in the way of hand techniques (I believe the point of all the kicking was bec. the slaves were in chains or somesuch), except for some elbow stuff - so they go from long range to short w/out much in the middle - so it's hard to say -

I think they slave think may be myth. either that or the techniques have changed. How can they do all of those techniques balancing on their hands if their hands are bound? I agree about the hand strikes though; from what I've seen, there aren't many. lots of elbows, knees and takedowns though.

finally, they train most of their kicks full power pull through, so don't expect him to use some sport karate snapping roundhouse crap...

true.

SevenStar
01-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Mat
Trollazz! :D

Still, people answered it, and it was funny...

you haven't been around for ages... still training hard?

yeah, it was an obvious troll. there was some stuff here worth responding to tho.

SimonM
01-19-2005, 09:58 AM
I think if someone told me that they didn't want me practicing in a public park anymore (something I do all the time in the summer) I would not act all meek the first time. ;) **** trolls. Whoever invents troll-repelling-spray will be an instant millionaire for sure! :D

Fred Sanford
01-19-2005, 07:27 PM
This totally wasn't a troll. I'm about to start training hard in bjj. getting beat up by a copeira guy made me realize that I was wasting my time doing all those forms.

MoreMisfortune
01-19-2005, 07:37 PM
:D

Eddie
01-20-2005, 01:27 AM
Don’t they need a band, or atleast a copy of the only the strong sound track to do their Sh#t? If he brings a portable cd player with, just dodge the guy, and smash his stereo. This way, he will have no music to dance to, and he wont be able to fight no more.

If he brings a band with, then you are in trouble dude. Unless his band is made up of hot chicks and you look like a mix between Brad Pitt and someone out of a boy band… but whats the chances of that?

I hear allot of Capoeira guys (at least all those from L’Afrique De Sud) like smoking wheat. If that’s the case, then why not just buy a few splifs and offer it as a peace pipe. Who knows, you may even make a new friend. Even better, maybe you get a new training partner. If you dont end up in jail together for smoking in a public place.

What you doing practicing kung fu in a park anyway?
Eddie

GuSpeed
01-20-2005, 05:51 AM
No offense or anything but how did you get beating in the fight?

SimonM
01-20-2005, 07:22 AM
He didn't. He just invented some bollox story to get people to read his BJJ ru13z w1th 133t 5ki11z thread.

SevenStar
01-20-2005, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by SimonM
He didn't. He just invented some bollox story to get people to read his BJJ ru13z w1th 133t 5ki11z thread.

If I'm not mistaken, he's a CMA guy...

Mutant
01-20-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Eddie
Don’t they need a band, or atleast a copy of the only the strong sound track to do their Sh#t? If he brings a portable cd player with, just dodge the guy, and smash his stereo. This way, he will have no music to dance to, and he wont be able to fight no more.
If he brings a band with, then you are in trouble dude...
:D :D :D
now thats some creative fight strategy.

SevenStar
01-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by cjurakpt
no argument - I should have been more specific: in MY EXPERIENCE doing capoeira, it's been more the former; however, as I mentioned in my previous post, things can get pretty ugly in terms of the street stuff from some of the videos I've seen - I wonder if we've seen the same ones? I studied (briefly) w/Ombrino in the late 80's down on the LES of NYC, and these were his tapes (I honestly don't remember the faction); anyway, it's a good distinction to make: however, to be honest, if the majority of "sparring" you do is in that style, where there's a friendly agreement of sorts to work with the guy, I don't think that you can just sdwitch over all of a sudden and start doing something more...concerted, shall we say: I mean, pure capoeira against something like Muy Thai or San Da...my money's on the latter...

a good point, and one that I always thought about - to be honest, you couldn't even do the jinga (basic step) the way it's done now if your hands were tied - unless they were really long chains...my best guesss is that a) they were allowed to take the chains off to practice their dance, but also trained had a mind to using it when the chains were on in case they had to; or b) originally the repetoire was more limited in both scope and degree of acrobatics but once slavery ended and they could practice unfettered things expanded; probably the best thing would be to find some history on it, as i am no expert...

so it was a yuk the whole thread? that's ok - as someone else posted, it did actually generate some interesting responses, and why shouldn't it be a good idea to discuss characteristics of different styles in case one happens to meet a practitioner from something you've never encountered before?

I did some clinch work with one of the instructors last night - he was amazingly comfortable there. He kept his footwork and knew how to handle over and underhooks, but once I was able to get him in plomb, he wasn't quite sure how to get out. I was able to pull an uchi mata out of one of the underhooks, but caught me with a single leg prior to that.

SimonM
01-20-2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Fred Sanford
I'm about to start training hard in bjj. getting beat up by a copeira guy made me realize that I was wasting my time doing all those forms.

See.

Translate: I did Kung Fu until I realized that the Brazilians and not the Chinese have the 133t n1nja ski11z so now I do BJJ.

It's a troll plain and simple. To be honest it would surprise me if he does any martial arts.

SevenStar
01-20-2005, 10:36 AM
the post IS a troll, but he's not a bjj troll, or any troll for that matter. We all have our days...

I believe he trains with some of the other people on this forum.

red5angel
01-20-2005, 11:07 AM
7*:

that's not true. it's friendly in a friendly roda, but in a bacchizado (sp?) which are the tournaments they have, it's not always friendly.

This is partly true. A Roda, can be open, in Brazil they do them on the street and technically anyone can join. They can get rough. It's sort of like showing up at another schol unannounced and sparring, you don't know if they are going to try to humiliate you, play with you nad have fun, or hurt you. Most Rodas end up freindly.

A Batizado "bachizadoo" - means baptism. As far as I know it's sort of a testing and celebration. In my group atleast you get your ropes at Batizado which can last a couple of days. They do seminars and such, then usually they test you on your techniques, and usually there are a couple of large rodas that can get competitive but atleast so far seem to be fairly freindly.

As for the slave myth, it's sort of true, sort of not. Essentially it started out as a headbutting contest, almost literally, but the slave owners were finding that their slaves were getting hurt. They developed an art defined by slaps and kicks that took over for a while. At the same time, music and dancing were about the only thing a slave had to look forward too and so it slowly integrated it into what was to become capoeira.
Eventually it began to get popular with gangs in Brazil, and started to get showy and came to resemble more of what we see today.
Capoeira Regional was developed by Mestre Bimba in the 30's I think. It's the really flashy stuff that has also integrated some judo techniques.

Can Capoeira fight? Better to ask can a Capoeirista fight. He probably crosstrains for one, and while some of capoeira isn't exactly practical, there is a bit of which is, and any good fighter only needs a few good techniques to win. On top of that, if he's good, and trains regularly, he's going to be in excellent shape, which counts for something.

SevenStar
01-20-2005, 01:00 PM
IYE, how much contact training do they do on a regular basis? any?