PDA

View Full Version : ying jow pai, Different styles

bodhitree
01-20-2004, 10:06 AM
How many different systems of Ying Jow Pai are there? Is there Ying Jow from the Shaolin temple? Please enlighten!;)

ngokfei
01-21-2004, 10:06 PM
Have been an YJP student for 20 years now.

In all that time I've only found one "true" eagle claw system.

Actual researchable individuals:

Lau Shu Chun
Lau Shing Yuo
Here its splits into 2 branches
Chan Tzi Ching and Lau Kai Man.

US representatives Shum Leung, Lilly and Gini Lau come from the Lau Kai Man to Lau Fat Man lineage.

In HK you have Wing Kit Lam from the Chan Tzi Ching Lineage

in China you have Sifu Gao in Beijing and Sifu Bao in Shanghai, both from the Chan Tzi Ching Lineage.

You have a sifu Leung Fu who has a combination of Lau Fat Man and a Malaysian version combined.

Other then that there are mentions of Eagle Claw sets that exist in other styles. I think an Omei teacher claims to teach a version of Eagle Claw but has never given out a lineage.

Some people claim that there is a southern eagle claw style. I've seen some southern sets with southern styles, but no southern eagle claw system.

The shaolin temple today only does the Contemporary Wushu Eagle Claw. They got some great qin na sets but not related to eagle claw. No I'm wrong, Lilly Lau found a Shaolin T-shirt that had the same 2 person set tha she teaches. Its available in the Kung Fu Magazine.

bodhitree
01-22-2004, 07:32 AM
I know a student of Shum Leung and have seen some of the forms they do. The shaolin school I used to be a part of has an eagle set, however, the name was lost somewhere along the way. It seems very different than the ying jow pai style of Shum Leung. It does not appear at all to be contemporary wushu either, there is no running, or butterfly kicks or anything like that. THe movements seem to be lower and it also seems to have more strikes than that of the ying jow pai style. Oh well, maybe I'll never know.
Thanks for the reply!