PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a school

Viper555
01-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know of any good muai thai or bjj schools in the hickory NC area?

SifuAbel
01-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Oh geez, try the yellow pages.

Viper555
01-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Already have but there doesn't seem to be any so I figured someone here may know of one that is in or near hickory.

Viper555
01-20-2004, 07:11 PM
BTW, the only things that were in the yellow pages were a bunch of "american" karate schools. You know, where they spar for points and your back hand can't hit their hear and if you hit below the waist they ***** at you. Yeah, don't want to go down that road again.

PHILBERT
01-20-2004, 10:55 PM
Check local gyms and sport fitness areas. Some gyms offer it, in fact, I've been to about 3 gyms in my area alone, driving distance (within a 10 mile distance) that offers BJJ. Just check around, you might find something. If not, find something close like Judo or JuJutsu.

Oso
01-21-2004, 09:32 AM
V555, your in the middle of a no-man's land of decent MA.

Try Statesville although I've not heard of anyone there.

W/ 321 being 4 lanes all the way to Charlotte now you might try there as well.

Scott Sheilds has a BJJ and arnis/kali school in Charlotte. Google his name to find his website. He brings Eric Paulson(sp?) in on a regular basis for seminars. I worked out there one night when I was in Charlotte on business.

Good Luck.

Viper555
01-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Sounds good but thats a 3 hour drive from where I live so that would be kinda hard to do. :( Why do I have to get stuck in the area with all the crappy schools?

PHILBERT
01-21-2004, 11:28 PM
Viper555, take away the school I currently train at, and I'd be driving an hour or so in both directions to get some good stuff. It's just the luck of the draw.

Anyone else here go to a new town, and the first thing you do is pick up a phone book and look up schools?

Oso
01-22-2004, 03:32 AM
I feel your pain. I was in Boone for 11 years and there was only one decent school there. Only 3 schools period.

You said you were 10 minutes from Hickory. Which direction?
Sheilds' school is on the east side of charlotte but it should only be 2 hours tops to get there.

You made reference to being not able to drive yet. so, I'm going to assume you are young. Given that...wait a bit. Odds are that someone will end up in Hickory before too long. It's not a small area. Someone could place a school on 321 between Hickory and Lenoir and draw from both populations and rack up on the lack of MA in both areas. In the mean time, if you are serious about a BJJ/MT route, get in the best physical shape you can and either find someone you might be willing to make the drive for a couple times a month and start picking up the basics. A good core of basics, even aquired slowly, will be better for you than nothing at all. Also, if you can talk a friend into going with you you would halve the costs of travel and have someone to train with at home. Just don't get to thinking a couple of hours a month is going to turn you into a badass. But, if approached properly, will be a start.

just my half a cent of advice.:)

of course, if you wanted to try some kung fu, you could drive this direction;)

PHILBERT: of course. every time I travel.

SevenStar
01-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by PHILBERT
Anyone else here go to a new town, and the first thing you do is pick up a phone book and look up schools?

I always do that.

PHILBERT
01-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Back when I was dating my ex, I went to go visit her mom in a town about 30 miles from me. As soon as I got there, about 3 minutes later, I grabbed the phone book and looked up all the schools that were in the area.