PDA

View Full Version : Bone-marrow washing

sing fu
01-20-2004, 05:54 PM
I thought the bone-marrow washing set was one of Boddhidarma's excercise sets until I read a Taiwanese book on the set this morning which said it was developed by a Hsing-I master. Where does this set come from??? :)

MasterKiller
01-21-2004, 07:45 AM
Do a search in the Shaolin forum. The set was probably created by a Taoist priest and attributed to Bodhidharma.

sing fu
01-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks MasterKiller - should have tried a search first! :)

David Jamieson
01-21-2004, 07:14 PM
i'm gonna call shenanigans on the taoist origin reference.

the bone marrow washing classic and the muscle tendon change classic are a series of gongs derived from teh dhayana/chan/zen/zhan exercises as proliferated through the mahayana school of buddhism.

the taoists had a whole different thing going on and indeed were themselves effected by the buddhist imports into china.

I think that the claim made by the other member is totally stretching it and I would question his sources in regards to this.

yes, the taoists had and have physical exercises that are associated with keeping ones health and mind in condition. But in relation to Shaolin Kungfu, It's pretty much and mostly buddhist in origin.

buddy making that claim would be very very very hard pressed to substantiate. whereas in the buddhist corner, that bell is ringing victory! Victory. LOL.

cheers