PDA

View Full Version : The effects of tea on the Shaolin Student.

Friendless Tool
01-20-2004, 06:27 PM
First off id like to say hello to everyone out there. I am knew to the forums, and look forward to discussing and further expanding my knowledge of Shaolin. I have been studying for about 4 months now and i love every bit of it. Im 16 and im a soph in high school.

Now on to the discussion!

Im an avid tea drinker. My favorite especially is Green tea. I found out that when i drink a cup or two 1-3 hours before i go to Shaolin, i have more energy and my stamina increases greatly. I dont get as tired during the warm up and kicking exercises and my focus as well as over all performance is much better. Does anyone know why this happens? Is it just the caffine in the tea?
Are there any other kinds of tea out there that could perhaps provide the same qualities?

also, im looking for a good tea that i can relax to after a rough class or stressful day. Jasmine is very enjoyable, but im open to different kinds.

Thanks for your time.

-Joe

Shaolinlueb
01-21-2004, 08:48 AM
i usually drink water. but tea is good. i cant drink too much of it. nothing wrong with 1 beer every now and then. but not after class

Qigong
01-21-2004, 10:04 AM
i drink a cup of green tea every morning before school...and every night after dinner. it calms me down, makes me feel situated. it gives me energy, but at the same time calms me down. and if i have class, i drink a smaller cup so it isnt in my stomach when im doing drills. but green tea cures bad breath, and reduces the chances of a lot of diseases...keep drinking tea!

GeneChing
01-21-2004, 11:07 AM
I drink tea almost every day. Many of the monks cultivate tea as a buddhist practice. Tea is good. BTW, did you see this - Shaolin Tea (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/70600.html) - it doesn't look like we are going to continue to carry Shaolin tea, so if you're not planning on going to Shaolin, this maybe your last chance.

As for beer, I don't drink it everyday. I did for a while when I was trying to gain some weight. Unfortunately it worked to well and the weight was gained in all the wrong places. But I still enjoy my beer, so I didn't know how to vote.:confused:

norther practitioner
01-21-2004, 12:03 PM
it doesn't look like we are going to continue to carry Shaolin tea

I really like that shaolin tea.. it's pretty good, not my absolute fav.. but darn good. I just got a large container.:D

dimmakseminar
01-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Dear Mr. Friendless Tool:

It is my inherent understanding that many a student enjoys tea, and some enjoy the variety of tea that is not dipped in water, but yet is still imbibed. This "special tea" is thought to have great medicinal properties, although many governments around the world refuse to recognize this as fact. In fact, I would go as far as to guess that some individuals may partake of this special tea after class and on their way to whatever transit whisks them home in the dead of a cold winter night!

I also believe that drinking tea before class can lead to problems with one's inner dirigible, thus causing uneccessary breaks from training to see a man about a horse.

Sincerely,

dimmakseminar

mortal
01-21-2004, 01:08 PM
LOLO Weirdo!

GeneChing
01-21-2004, 02:29 PM
...not so much for the taste but for the cool canisters. It's too much trouble to import food items and that tea comes under a special food tariff, so it's not worth it for us to import it.

dimmakseminar
01-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Dear Mr. GeneChing:

WAIT! Are you saying you like "special tea"? If so, that is a most mind alterating admission!

Sincerely,

dimmakseminar

norther practitioner
01-21-2004, 04:19 PM
I love the canister, but it is better than the last tea I had so maybe thats why I've been enjoying it. GLW recommended a good tea this weekend that I can't remember the name of.

Friendless Tool
01-21-2004, 06:11 PM
What about Ginseng Tea?

anyone have an idea on what effect that has?

Shaolinlueb
01-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Friendless Tool
What about Ginseng Tea?

anyone have an idea on what effect that has?

ginsing isnt good to drink everyday ive been told. especially if you take some type of medications.

if you want real nice chinese tea, go to your local asian market, dont but the "herbal" or "green" tea from the major supermarket chains. that is all processed junk.

Friendless Tool
01-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Thats interesting

a while ago my mom picked up some Lipton Green Tea.

best tasting ive had so far
prolly cause it was artifically flavored

however im sure there are healthier alternatives out there.

norther practitioner
01-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Go to your local asian market, and check out there selection....
:D

Friendless Tool
01-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Will do

GeneChing
01-22-2004, 10:16 AM
In our area, we actually have tea specialty stores - stores that just sell tea. After my last trip to Shaolin, I was so spoiled for tea. Many buddhist monks cultivate tea as a buddhist practice, so I was drinking some amazing teas. When I got back, I was so determined to get my tea drinking area set up - I've got this rock garden I've been working on - but it turned too cold, so I'm putting it off until the spring. So I've been lazy and not taking advantage of some of the great tea resources we have here locally.

Friendless Tool
01-22-2004, 12:14 PM
****it your so lucky

ninja
01-22-2004, 02:48 PM
I have a Mcflurry right before class and an iced coffee immediately after. sometimes i eat a chicken parm during the mid class break

ninja
01-22-2004, 02:48 PM
I have a Mcflurry right before class and an iced coffee immediately after. sometimes i eat a chicken parm during the mid class break

dimmakseminar
01-23-2004, 08:18 AM
Dear Mr. ninja:

Way to up the post count! :D

Duplicitously yours,

dimmakseminar

KWUsCRD
01-25-2004, 08:25 AM
Dear dimmakseminar:

I enjoy your choice of words in every post. I'm learning quite a few things.

Dictionarisouness.comisly yours,

KWUsCRD

johngreenhow
01-25-2004, 06:15 PM
I'm English. Tea is my cultural heritage.

For the record, Monks have also been spotted drinking baijio faster than I can drink Coke.

</troll>

Scythefall
01-25-2004, 07:56 PM
I never got a boost from drinking tea, but I do love it. Being from the south, iced tea was a big thing growing up, so when i got older I just started trying different teas, hot and cold. I got into chinese tea when I first went to a good chinese restaurant. they brought tea with the meal. I asked one of my friends and they said it was green tea so that's when I started buying that. I never did find a tea that tasted similar to that restaurants, and so I finally did the smart thing and asked the waitress. Turns out it's oolong tea.

So, that's how I started getting several brands of green/white tea and oolong. I also get herbal teas from Yogi teas, which are awesome tasting and have some pretty high powered herbs in them.

Some of the guys drink oolong tea or green tea before class and we make it for guests that come to the school, but I prefer red bull. YEAH!

Ironwind
01-26-2004, 03:13 AM
Need tea........ extremly tired of seeing poeple downing my addictor.

It relaxes you get the blood pupmping it's up to you to be energized.

bigdoing
01-26-2004, 10:18 PM
I enjoy tea every morning and most nights

In califonia, if you can, go to any peets coffee and tea. they have an excellent selection of various teas.

dragon well (lung ching) has a buttery slightly nutty flavor with a hint of a bitter aftertaste

gunpowder is a nice tea with a rich smokey flavor

jasmine pearls is very refreshing and is hand rolled, this really packs a nice flavor of the flower

hubei silver tip is a mild sipping tea, I have not drank to much of this one, good tea just not my cup.

ti kwan yin is a nice oolong tea - it has a flavor like a mild citrus fruit

and golden dragon oloong is by far my favorite of the oolongs, flowery and lite fruit, sweet, nice with honey..

peace see you at peets
manhatan beach or santa monica
some times pasadena

richard sloan
01-27-2004, 02:39 PM
in china they seemed to make tea out of everything.

the tea ceremony is a trip if you ever have the opportunity to have one take it. in beijing in our hotel we went to one. it was right next to a freakin' bowling alley, and all the karaoke rooms. we pulled a major no-no and got the serving chick involved- she had a blast but the maitre d' wasn't so psyched- at first she was very reluctant to do the tea shots with us, and we freaked when she poured the hot water over everything. then she was like, who cares we were just barbarians anyway. the other people on the trip thought we were boozing it up but it was just tea. it did make us happy though and we had a great view of the karaoke rooms.

I brought back wads of these little flowers that they would put in mason jars and and add hot water to. Crysanthemums or something. Maybe it isn't even tea.

Anyway I made some for my grandma who came to visit us and as she's sipping it she goes, "Oh."

I was like, "Oh?" What kind of reaction is that...she didn't take another sip. So after she left the table I looked in her cup, and there was a snail floating in the water. I felt bad for him, so I drank it.

We sell a tea at the temple that is pretty **** good- genmai cha. Brown puffed rice tea. Sometimes people who visit look at it to buy, but when they see the swastika for some reason they put it back.

There is a really awesome korean pottery site that sells these amazing tea cups with strainers.

http://www.korean-arts.com/tea_ware/celadon_tea_ware.htm

I highly reccomend their products. I have quite the collection of them as they always make new designs year to year.

richard sloan
01-27-2004, 02:40 PM
BEER.

Chimay, grande reserve.

GeneChing
01-27-2004, 03:44 PM
...but i"m a Guinness man. ;)

dimmakseminar
02-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Dear Mr. KWUsCRD:

Thank you for your benignant words! It is most gratifying to know that one has helped their fellow man in their search for truth and knowledge.

As for the tea, I enjoy a good kudzu (http://www.cptr.ua.edu/kudzu/) tea now and again. I didn't prefer it at first, but it has really grown on me.

Cultivatingly yours,

dimmakseminar

KubanLink
02-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by dimmakseminar

As for the tea, I enjoy a good kudzu (http://www.cptr.ua.edu/kudzu/) tea now and again. I didn't prefer it at first, but it has really grown on me.

Cultivatingly yours,

dimmakseminar

You didn't preferred it to what? I think you need a year-long subscription to Hooked on Phonics or a pair of Speak and Spell orthopedic tennis shoes?

dimmakseminar
02-15-2004, 07:37 AM
Dear Mr. KubanLink:

"Weeeeuuuuuweeeeeeuuuuuuweeeeuuuu, look Mickey, it's the Grammar Police."

"Uh-oh, Goofy, I guess I'm headed off to the Grammar jail.:( "

Sincerely,

dimmakseminar