PDA

View Full Version : Chinese New Year!

LionDancer
01-20-2004, 09:36 PM
JUST WANTED TO WISH ALL THE LIONDANCERS OUT THERE A HAPPY & PROSPEROUS CHINESE NEW YEAR! MAY THIS YEAR BRING YOU GOOD FORTUNE AND SUCCESS IN YOUR ENDEAVORS!

Gold Horse Dragon
01-21-2004, 12:19 PM
GONG HAY FAT CHOY!!! :) Make sure to throw the greens high and far :D

GHD

Fu-Pow
01-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Gung Hei Faat Choy!!

Gold Horse Dragon
01-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Amazing how many ways Cantonese gets interpreted into English spelling :D

GHD

yu shan
01-21-2004, 11:05 PM
Thank you friend, Year of the Monkey should be good! Err, I`ll make it good.

anton
01-22-2004, 02:03 AM
Hey!! No monkey business!

Gong xi fa cai!! (just to be different)

Losttrak
01-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Guo nian hao!

ZhouJiaQuan
01-25-2004, 05:38 PM
Gung hay faat choy!!!!!!!!

Sung neen fye law!!!!

my lion skillz magically got better this year too, so im happy :)

PangQuan
01-04-2005, 05:05 PM
Just curious to see how many of you belong to schools who will be performing this February for the new year. The school I belong to will be doing Lion Dancing and some forms in China Town here. I am really looking forward to the fun and fireworks.

Fen
01-04-2005, 05:50 PM
If I may ask what school do you goto in Portland?

~Jason

norther practitioner
01-05-2005, 09:53 AM
I'm doint a demo in a restaurant.

sean_stonehart
01-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Our school has a couple around town & getting more as it gets closer

Starchaser107
01-05-2005, 10:07 AM
I think we have a few.

Shaolinlueb
01-05-2005, 10:07 AM
not too many chinese around here. and the vietnamese and cambodian organizations have their own people. not that the veitnamese guys lion dance was really that good. last time i saw it.

ngokfei
01-05-2005, 11:32 AM
anybody know where/when they do the lion dancing in georgia.

My training brother has a school in atlanta but

to say it politely

his guys really need work!!! ahhhhhh:p

and my students are too lazy. Have to open a real school

sean_stonehart
01-05-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm sure if you check the www.atlantamartialarts.com Chinese schools section, you may find at least one, maybe two...

Fen
01-05-2005, 01:09 PM
We will be doing a Lion Dance, TCMA demo and a pot luck dinner with some of the other schools in the area...

~Jason

Oso
01-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Since opening my school in Oct, I'd decided to wait to do a grand opening celebration on the 5th.

Yu Shan is going to bring his Lion Team over to help out and my students and I will be doing demos for several hours that afternoon.

"Gung Hey Fat Choy" or something close is cantonese, right? Anyone know the mandarin?

hope to attract a some business.

SaekSan
01-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Gong Shi Fa Tsai! (In Mandarin, not sure of the Pinyan though) :)

I'm arranging our Lion Dances in the next few weekends.

Got 9 lined-up and another 12 yet to confirm.

Always fun!

:)

Oso
01-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Thanks!

do you know the tones?

joedoe
01-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by SaekSan
Gong Shi Fa Tsai! (In Mandarin, not sure of the Pinyan though) :)

I'm arranging our Lion Dances in the next few weekends.

Got 9 lined-up and another 12 yet to confirm.

Always fun!

I think it is Gong Xi Fa Cai in pinyin. Not sure about the tones

SaekSan
01-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Right you are joedoe and the tones Oso would be:

Gong1 Xi3 Fa1 Cai2

Oso
01-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks a bunch, guys !

If I could impose one more time:

"Gung Ho Sun Hey" Congratulations on the New Year

Fen
01-10-2005, 11:52 AM
PangQuan:
What day are you all doing your lion dance and demo in PCT? And what school should a look for? I will be with the CBCC some time during Chinese New Year..

~Jason

PangQuan
01-10-2005, 12:36 PM
If I may ask what school do you goto in Portland?

The Chinese Kung Fu Assosiation, Sifu Tran Duy Mihn. He is opening/switching to the Chinese Shaolin Acadamy soon.

here is the link. http://www.ckfa-kungfu.com/

Fen
01-10-2005, 01:25 PM
PangQuan:
Thank you... :) I hope to see you all down town.. Last year it just was the CBCC, Fen Kwoon (my school) and NorthWest Lion Dance Association.

NWLDA did not get the Greens (Ching ) at the Portland Chinese Garden. They also was being very disrespectful to the older troups when passing them on the street. They Made themselves look really bad here in the Portland Chinese Community. I hope that they will be a little more respectful this year. My troup is the 2nd oldest troupe in the state now. The CBCC is the oldeist (1891). James Sifu of the CBCC said that they will not be so forgiving this year nor will my school ;) .

I hope to see you all down there thou, It will be cool to see some more troups.. Keep an eye out for my school flags... Like the one on my Avatar.. Please come up and say Hi!, maybe we go get some lunch or somthing. :)

~Jason

PangQuan
01-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Nice, I will keep an eye out for your flags. I am not on the lion dancing team but my teacher has been speaking about the new year. I am hoping it all works out for him. We will be moving soon so I hope that this does not disturb his wishes to perform. I think his dancers are ready but we will see for sure come the 8th. Regardless of the outcome I will definately be checking your dancers out. Do you dance with them?

Fen
01-10-2005, 02:02 PM
lol...no not anymore.. I'm to old... Tell him best wish~is! And good luck!

~Jason

PangQuan
01-10-2005, 03:33 PM
For sure !

yu shan
01-10-2005, 09:28 PM
We have shows here in Nashville. But the highlight is our trip to Asheville to help out Oso. All we ask... beer!

PangQuan
01-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Tao of Wushu

Ours school will not be performing this year in the new year celebrations, due to the completion of a one year sabbatical for personal reasons.

I will on the other hand be there and I will check out your schools dancing and reward myself in the dissruption of the evil spirits.

MantisSanDiego
01-25-2005, 12:20 PM
will be demonstrating traditional Mantis Boxing at the San Diego Chinese New Year Cultural Faire on Feb. 13th, 1PM. Following the demo will be an introcuctory lesson at the indoor stage.

http://www.sandiegochinese.net/sdcc/cnyf.htm

The Kuoshu Union (composed of Mo Ga, Dragon, Pa Kua, Mantis, Choi Lay Fut, Liu He Ba Fa, Taiji, and Shaolin schools) will also have a booth to provide answers to questions related to Traditional Chinese Martial Arts and Cultre.

www.KuoshuUnion.Bigstep.com
www.MantisSkills.com

MantisSanDiego
01-29-2005, 01:18 PM
The Traditional Kung Fu Academy will be playing Jiben Gong Taolu and Tang Lang San Da drills. Shifu Dasargo will also be playing various sets and Yongfa as well.

Following our demo will be various kuoshu demos (Mo Gar Lung Ying Shaolin Choi Lai Fut etc) presented by the Kuoshu Union.

San Diego Chinese New Year and Cultural Faire
http://www.sandiegochinese.net/sdcc/cnyf.htm

The Kuoshu Union
www.KuoshuUnion.Bigstep.com

Gong Xi Fa Cai!
L.

wtxs
01-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Tomorrow is chinese new year ... wishing you all an big happy.

k gledhill
01-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Kung Hay Faat Choy !!

nasmedicine
01-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Year of the dragon - happy new year!

GeneChing
11-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Next year (2018) is the Year of the Earth Dog (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70579-2018-Year-of-the-EARTH-DOG). CNY is observed on FEB 16 2018.

https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/newyearmeal.png?w=1100&strip=all&quality=75
A good meal. (AP/Wong Maye-E)

PERSPECTIVE
IF YOU THINK THANKSGIVING IS STRESSFUL, YOU SHOULD TRY CHINESE NEW YEAR (https://quartzy.qz.com/1136625/if-you-think-thanksgiving-is-stressful-you-should-try-chinese-new-year/)
By Youyou Zhou November 23, 2017
I spent the first 20 years of my life in China. Holidays in America always remind me of the ones I had there. Fourth of July is equivalent to October First as a day to celebrate the founding of the nation. Memorial Day is similar to Qing Ming, a day to remember the deceased. Qi Xi is the Chinese Valentine’s Day.

The closest Chinese holiday I can think of that’s like Thanksgiving, is the Lunar (Chinese) New Year. Families and relatives get together, cook a big meal, and express gratitude for the past year and best hopes for the future. And while both holidays are about family get-togethers, Chinese New Year is way more intense.

TRAVELING HOME

Americans complain about booking airline tickets around Thanksgiving and coping with traffic jams. But it’s really no comparison to the crowds flooding major train stations around Lunar New Year. For workers who are tight on money, this is the only time of year that many visit their family. Last year Chinese travelers made 3 billion trips in the 40 days before and after the holiday.

For Americans, the busiest travel time of the year doesn’t even fall on the day before Thanksgiving—Americans travel more for summer vacations.

FAMILY CONVERSATIONS

The American saying is, absence makes the heart grow fonder. It’s joyful to think about reconnecting with the ones we miss and those who love us, until reality kicks in. Americans may be arguing about politics and religion this year, but for Chinese, there will be stressful confrontations over personal matters.

When are you getting married? What’s the plan on having kids? How about purchasing properties? How much did you make last year? Chinese relatives and families are not afraid of asking difficult questions, because they all love you.

THE BIG MEAL

In the US, the most searched question on Google related to Thanksgiving is “How to cook a turkey.” Over 80% of American millennials this year worry that their turkey might be over-cooked.

Well, that’s just turkey. For the family dinners I helped prepare with my parents and grandparents, fish, chicken, pork… they all have to be there. It typically involves days of preparation with the fresh ingredients to make steamed whole fish, rice cakes, egg dumplings symbolizing luck and prosperity, and it takes us several days to eat them all.

COMMONALITIES

When I look at every aspect of Thanksgiving that creates stress, I think about the same thing for Chinese New Year and know how it can be worse. But all these years, I’ve never ceased to love and miss Chinese New Year, the chaotic travel to finally arrive at home. I’ve waited hours in the airport because of weather delays; woken up early in the morning to hunt for fresh, expensive produce in local markets; and years later I no longer remember the arguments we all had. Time has turned them into understanding of the differences among us.

The holiday is stressful but it creates shared memories—good and bad—which is something both cultures have in common as we head back home to celebrate with our families.

Thanksgiving (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?7130-Happy-Thanksgiving) versus CNY (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?27915-Chinese-New-Year!)