PDA

View Full Version : hip joints

Shaolinlueb
01-21-2004, 09:29 AM
sometime when i train and i go into a deap stance. I get a bad pain on the outside of my hips, right on the side where it caves in almost. is that because jsut of weak joints and inflexibility? i asked aorund and thats what i was told. i have to continueing strengthening and stretching. whats your view?

Vash
01-21-2004, 09:57 AM
I used to have that problem. After I started having other back problems and got some x-rays, turns out my hips were twisted, one side higher than the other.

Few adjustments, problem went away. My hamstrings also loosened up a lot.

MasterKiller
01-21-2004, 12:56 PM
I have the same problem, but no matter how much I stretch or exerices, it doesn't seem to go away. I've been to the chiropractor, and while I love his adjustments, it hasn't helped loosen my hips any. I think I just have narrow hips that aren't built for deep stances.

Shaolinlueb
01-21-2004, 09:06 PM
hmmm interesting. its wierd cause its going away but still there.

Becca
01-23-2004, 02:51 PM
I also had the same problem. It is a strength issue. I ended up going to a physical theripist to get a strength-building rutine that actually improoved my hip funcion. And it takes forever before you starting seeing any major impoovement, but it can be done.

Ironwind
01-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Even as size and shape is a matter in the result, so is the position of the back. Some of these stance may look oddly-retarded, but believe it or not some are made for your protection in such away. Maybe it's not a question of your being strong or toned enough maybe it's your position.
Like hsing yi three thrusts:
a)Head thrusting up
b)neck thrusting up
c)legs thrusting out
Keep the back straight not forward or backward
Like the post of the main sail, or a redwood tree

Shaolinlueb
01-25-2004, 04:35 PM
yeah i have found the stances are affecting it too. on horse if i let my butt hang out it hurts so i keep it in and back straight straight. sometimes i would go forward. that has helped. thanks guys for the replies.

IronFist
01-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
on horse if i let my butt hang out it hurts so i keep it in and back straight straight.

Isn't that how you're supposed to do a horse stance?

redtornado
01-26-2004, 09:23 AM
HELLO, I AGREE WITH LOOKING AT YOUR STANCE!
DON'T ALWAYS LOOK BUT FEEL IT OUT....
THERE SHOULDN'T BE PAIN..I DON'T THIMK THERE SHOULD BE...SO KEEP ON RIDING AND RIDE SAFE.

Shaolinlueb
01-26-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by IronFist

Isn't that how you're supposed to do a horse stance?

sometimes you get lazy and the pain your in you dont realize your butt hangs out. yes keep on riding. :D

fa_jing
01-27-2004, 01:33 PM
You guys need to do butt-to-the-ground front or overhead squats. Breathe in as you descend, when you reach the bottom, pause and exhale, trying to sink a little deeper. You can repeat this. Then inhale and come up. Keep your feet 1.5 shoulder width apart or less at the heels, turn the toes out, and make sure your knees track towards your second toe and that your back is pretty vertical.

Steve Cotter was just showing us that with the front squat, your knees only bend ****her forward until you are a little above parallel. When you continue to sink from that point, it is the hips expanding, the knees hardly move at all. The man has ridiculous strength and flexibilty from the bottom position.

Another trick which I modified out of a TKD stretch, is to splay your feet, and drop down low...lean back slightly to put the weight on your heels...place your palms together in the prayer position with the elbows flared, use these elbows to wedge the knees ****her apart. I find this opens the hips.

Also, lotus and half lotus pose are helpful, as well as putting your ankle behind your head stretch, etc.

Becca
01-27-2004, 03:16 PM
fa_jing, those ar part of the routine my theripist has me on. Another good one is to sit on the corner of a chair that lets you put your foot flat on the ground, put one ankle on your oposit knee, then press lightly down on the knee that is raised while keeping your back strait. I really like this one, 'cause it works out the kinks well, can be done anywhere, and no matter how tight your hips are, it feels good.

Shaolinlueb
01-27-2004, 04:40 PM
wow thanks for those stretches and strength builders.

BlueTravesty
01-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Interesting stuff... I'll try those strengthening excercises, as I have hip problems as well. According to Sifu however (who's also a massage therapist trained in advanced neuromuscular therapy and applied kinesthetic) my problem lies with my **** cyatic nerve. I also feel pain on the outside of my hips in horse, bow, or low-stances... and an unpleasant tingle on certain kicks which grows into outright pain. So he's showed me some stretches to deal with it. He said it will take time, since there's more than likely some minor pinch on the nerve, but it will go away.

which I can't wait for. It's so much easier without the pain :p

Chief Fox
01-28-2004, 09:39 AM
I have the same hip pain sometimes but I just got the book stretching scientifically by Thomas Kurz. He addresses this problem in his book and it works. Well it works for me.

When standing in a low horse stance you should try to "pinch the ground" as if to try and stand up right only using your inner thighs. Feet facing forward, flexing your inner thighs trying to slide your feet in. This naturally tucks your pelvis under and puts you in the right position.