PDA

View Full Version : Strenght in KungFu

SwordMan
01-21-2004, 10:18 AM
you have to be skillful in every MartialArts
but is the Strenght the secret of professional KungFu masta!!!

ya'll opinion?:D

MasterKiller
01-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Strength can compensate for poor technique against someone smaller. When the opponents are the same size or close, technique becomes more important.

No_Know
01-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Understanding might be the secrect of a Kung-Fu master as you say.

Understanding psychology of themselve, of others. Understanding balance. Understanding force. Understanding pain. Understanding speed and the Human body. Understanding flexibility. Understanding sociology. Understanding economy. Understanding it can be a dog-eats-dog world. Understanding the deadends they had when they were younger and brasher~ or meeker...

Chang Style Novice
01-21-2004, 10:44 AM
As I have said many, many times here.

Everything counts.

Strength counts, size counts, skill counts, style counts, mental preparedness counts, endurance counts, speed counts, flexibility counts.

What counts most?

Where you and your opponent have the greatest differences.

apoweyn
01-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't think he really understands the question?

Are you talking physical strength? Or something more esoteric?

I'm confused. Hold me?

mortal
01-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Not at all

count
01-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice

Everything counts.

Strength counts, size counts, skill counts, style counts, mental preparedness counts, endurance counts, speed counts, flexibility counts.

What counts most?

count, count's :cool:

Water Dragon
01-21-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by count

count, count's :cool:

ONE! That's one dumb post

TWO! That's two dumb posts

THREE! Three dumb posts hahaha

FOUR! Yes! Four dumb posts.

Todays thread was brought to you by the number 4 and the letter A

SevenStar
01-21-2004, 12:26 PM
:D

No_Know
01-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Laughing Out Way Loud ((((((((((((apoweyn))))))))))) [I'm not laughing At you I'm laughing With you] You see...(((((((((((((((((apoweyn))))))))))))) It'll be alright. You're O.K... It's O. K....

FatherDog
01-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice

Everything counts.

What counts most?

CSN has shot the correct, the correct's wife, all of the correct's friends, and burned the correct's **** house down.

Tiger_Yin
01-22-2004, 02:44 PM
My train of thought tells me speed is whats the most important. Think about it... whats the use of being strong if you dont land a blow, what good is ur awesome skill if u cant touch the oponent, what good is ur past experience if you never fought someone toof ast for you, what can you do about knowing what ur opponent is gonan throw at you if all u can do is know and not react fast enough... yatti yatti yatta... Speed is the key.. then all the other mombo jumbo comes into play :)

MasterKiller
01-22-2004, 02:46 PM
FORCE = Mass X Velocity(squared)

Mass is important....Speed is important. There are 100's of factors that go into making both happen concurrently.

norther practitioner
01-22-2004, 03:36 PM
mass*acceleration...

acceleration isn't velocity or speed squared.

It is the change of speed with respect to time

(sorry, I'm an engineer, physics is up there with regards to what I do).

neit
01-22-2004, 06:38 PM
of course strength will help you in martial arts. it is also a benifit of doing martial arts.

MasterKiller
01-23-2004, 07:57 AM
It is the change of speed with respect to time Well, that makes my point all the more relevent. :D

SevenStar
01-23-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Tiger_Yin
My train of thought tells me speed is whats the most important. Think about it... whats the use of being strong if you dont land a blow, what good is ur awesome skill if u cant touch the oponent, what good is ur past experience if you never fought someone toof ast for you, what can you do about knowing what ur opponent is gonan throw at you if all u can do is know and not react fast enough... yatti yatti yatta... Speed is the key.. then all the other mombo jumbo comes into play :)

My train of thought tells me that you need both. regardless of how fast you are, if you can't hurt me, all you are doing is tiring yourself out. Once you gas out, my strength will knock you three days into the future :)

Indestructible
01-23-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
mass*acceleration...

acceleration isn't velocity or speed squared.

It is the change of speed with respect to time

(sorry, I'm an engineer, physics is up there with regards to what I do).

Seeing as you are an engineer, I would like to hear your opinion of the bodys ability to create and transfer kenetic energy. I read a great article on another forum that used the term kenetic engagement. The theory is that proper motion can create as much or more energy than raw strength. What do you think?

stimulant
01-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Strength is both good and bad...

Good...as you can overpower weaker opponents

Bad....as people tend to rely on it rather than skill and technique.

using strength is often a sign of bad technique.

SevenStar
01-24-2004, 05:37 PM
not necessarily. That's an assumption people make. I'm a strong guy - you think I won't use that advantage? sure I will. Given my opponent may be equal skill than me, my strength give me the extra "oomph" to get the job done. The key is to know when and how to use it.

stimulant
01-25-2004, 07:49 AM
it's not an assumption, its a fact.

in your case it is an advantage you use, not a disadvantge as you are not scrificeing technique for strength.

I know many guys far bigger (i'm only 5'6" and about 150 pounds) and stronger than me who can put all the efoort into a punch and still not gerarate the same power as i do...and many of them train. They rely too much on their strength at the cost of their technique.

SevenStar
01-25-2004, 09:06 AM
it's not fact, except for in the cases of your friends, at least. It can't be ALL, because I don't do it. so you can't say it's fact that people with strength tend to use it over technique...

That said, the tendency to use strength over techniqe can be fixed through proper training. If they are punching wrong, they are punching wrong. period. Their teacher needs to correct that.

Shooter
01-25-2004, 10:01 AM
If you have no balance, strength is useless.

Speed is useless without timing.

stimulant
01-25-2004, 12:47 PM
OK..

...perhaps I should have stated it is a fact in the begining stages of training (and of many, in all stages of training - especially when they cant make techniques work).

As for my friends...they all relied on strength (to varying degrees) at one point, and those who dont train always will.

IronFist
01-26-2004, 01:00 AM
My experience is this:

When I was in NHB club and we would do grappling drills, if I was grappling with someone who had more experience than me, but who was lighter and weaker, I could use my strength to somewhat of an advantage. I usually always got submitted eventually, but sometimes I could basically just prevent him from moving by overpowering him. Other times I could manipulate him with strength, like if he was going for a hold or something I could physically move his arm out of the way and prevent him from getting the hold. Of course, in the beginning I didn't know any submissions at all so I was going to lose anyway, but you see my point. Also, I'd eventually run out of strength and then lose from that, too. I'd always lose anyway, unless time ran out first.

When grappling with someone of the same skill level, strength was the deciding factor.

When grappling someone who is better AND stronger than me... well that was just scary.

I'd imagine that for standup fighting it's similiar.

But I've seen people who are fast as hell but don't really do much damage with their punches.

I dunno.

I really suck at fighting anyway now since I've been out of that club for nearly a year now. :(

phantom
01-29-2004, 07:58 AM
Doesn't having a lot of muscle mass hurt your speed somewhat?

stimulant
01-29-2004, 08:50 AM
you dont need to have mass to be strong.

but a little bit of muscle gain is unavoidable in any strength training.

speed is all about relaxation of muslces and joints (abd fast twitch muscle fibers obviously help to!)

Toby
01-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by phantom
Doesn't having a lot of muscle mass hurt your speed somewhat? Myth.

SiuHung
01-29-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by phantom
Doesn't having a lot of muscle mass hurt your speed somewhat?

Is that why olympic sprinters weight train regularly, including their upper bodies?

stimulant
01-30-2004, 01:38 AM
a lot of muscle only affects speed if joint mobility / range of motion is affected.

phantom
01-30-2004, 08:48 AM
Thanks, guys!

Royal Dragon
01-30-2004, 09:00 AM
What counts most?

Reply]
That is probably the most profound statement made this whole thread.