PDA

View Full Version : petella tendonitis

Chief Fox
01-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Anyone out there ever have petella tendonitis (jumper's knee)? I have it. Petella tendon is the tendon below your kneecap that conects your knecap (petella) to your shin (tibia).

Right now I'm in a period of laying off everything. No running, no lifting, no kung fu. It's very difficult.

I've been trying to cope by building a wooden dummy and watching kung fu movies.

Can anyone out there relate?

rubthebuddha
01-21-2004, 05:45 PM
never had jumper's knee (probably cause i have no hops, but that's a different story), but what stuff CAN you do. what has a doctor said you can do, and what feels good/feels bad?

wall
01-22-2004, 03:44 AM
Easy to fix:

1 - rest until little pain

2 - strenghten muscles at the back of your leg using machines (you have an unbalance with stronger muscles at the front pulling patella out of alignment when contracting).

3 - do slow, bodyweight, one leg squats to 90 degrees, holding on to something for balance, making sure you are traking your leg straight down and up, no wobbling sideways. Lots of these every day.

4 - after every session of 2 and 3 above do tigh stretch for at least 1-2 min each leg, pulling foot behing tigh whilst standing, you know the one (I'm hopeless at descriptions).

5 - wear well padded shoes when jumping on hard surfaces.

Done, patella tedonitis solved in 3-6 weeks (depending on how bad it is and how weak your legs are).

:)

MasterKiller
01-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Had it for about 6 months. It was really bad for about 2 months. I started wearing a knee sleeve during practice and it gradually went away.

Chief Fox
01-22-2004, 08:59 AM
I did see a doctor about the tendonitis. He said that all I could do is rest. He also recommended strengthening the muscles in my leg. I've also been wearing a sleave on my knee as well as a knee strap. I suspect that the tendonitis is a result of another problem. Possibly a torn ligament. I'm going back to the doctor on Feb. 3rd to get a professional opinion. Thanks for the comments, you've been very helpful. I'll let you all know what happens.