PDA

View Full Version : Think I broke my toe

Water Dragon
01-22-2004, 10:45 AM
Not really, but **** does it hurt! It's a little swollen and purple too. I was going after Crip with Inner Leg Hooking (Ouch Gari) and instead of going between his legs for the hook, I cracked him HARD in the shin with my big toe :(

In other news, got my first Inner Bowing (Ippon Seionage) in Freee Wrestling (Randori). Yay for me!

MS2, I will call you 2-nite. Mi Tio was on the phone all nite with his mujer.

SevenStar
01-22-2004, 11:44 AM
suck it up, you wuss...

congrats on the bowing.

when you do the o uchi, that can happen. you gotta make sure that you have enough space - pull them as they step forward or something similar. also, step straight into them, as if you are walking into them. after you have the penetration, THEN hook the leg and angle yourself to take them down.

Water Dragon
01-22-2004, 11:49 AM
The way we were playing it, Get your grip and phuck with the jacket. Do a couple cracks on the lapel to disorient them. As your doing this, sneak your lead foot up to him so that your toe to toe, then just step in with the back leand hook him.

I hear ya on the space though, it's just one of those things and I like to whine. :D

-edit-

Also, the cool thing was that Crip was able to throw me 3 times in a round of free wrestling. He figured out my 3 main throws (D. Cut and inner leg hook as leading throws and Waist Control Lift as my main counter) So now I need to work on some new toys. Right now it looks like Inner Bowing (Ippon Seionage) Inner Thigh Lifting (Ouchi Gari) and Forward March a la Iron Broom style <-- does this exist in judo? It's basically just a sweep from the inside OR outside, but you pull your toes back and try to catch him with your instep and power threw. It's like a cross between a sweep and a Muay Thai roundhouse.

SevenStar
01-22-2004, 12:05 PM
http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/deashibarai.htm

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/okuriashiharai.htm

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/sasaetsu.gif

similar... but not shin involved. Also, the MT cut kick would fit that description.

Water Dragon
01-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Okuri Ashi Harai

norther practitioner
01-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Think I broke my toe

Toe injuries, or anything with the feet is just a pain in general... Totally get it checked out if it doesn't feel better in a few days, it is easy to reinjure and can easily become a nagging injury for years to come.. but I'm sure you know all of that.

MasterKiller
01-22-2004, 01:08 PM
I broke the joint on my big toe 3 years ago. Dr. said there was nothing he could do for it, and sent me on my way. Not only does it still hurt sometimes, especially in the mornings, but it also caused me to develop a bad habit of putting all my weight on the outside of my foot when I walked, which caused my hips to go out of alignment, which caused back problems. A good chiropractor eventually fixed me, but my toe still bothers me.

norther practitioner
01-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Right at the knuckle is hard to deal with...
Ouch.

Forward March a la Iron Broom style
If that is what I think it is.. it was one of the nastiest throws I saw on this one video, dude got ktfo when he hit the ground.

CrippledAvenger
01-22-2004, 01:53 PM
If it keeps hurting, WD, see a doc. Leg injuries take longer to heal because less blood flows to them and they're constantly being used. He'll probably just tape them together, but if you have a broken bone, you probably want it set.

You don't want to be one of those judo guys with the nasty toes that look like a British strumpet's mouth. ;)

Honestly, though. Sorry about the toe. If it makes you feel any better, let it be known that the shoulder throw had a lot of mustard on it. I have a nice ol' bruise on my shoulder from taking the fall on the mats, which is impressive.

rubthebuddha
01-22-2004, 02:26 PM
three cheers for crip's shin!

er

wait. no. sorry about the toe, WD. could be worse -- you could have injured crip's leg also, and then you'd have to put up with his whining. ;) then again, he does have a name to live to ...

CrippledAvenger
01-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Nah, I'm all metal from the waist down. Besides, it's hard to whine when you get the wind knocked out of ya. WaterDragon gives as good as he gets.

SevenStar
01-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by CrippledAvenger

You don't want to be one of those judo guys with the nasty toes that look like a British strumpet's mouth. ;)

you're not a REAL judo guy until you have that! you're not a REAL bjj guy until you get cauliflower ear.

SevenStar
01-22-2004, 04:23 PM
having said that, I'm neither a REAL judo guy nor a REAL bjj guy...

rubthebuddha
01-22-2004, 05:56 PM
judo toes are second only to ballerina toes. and that's not a compliment. :)

Oso
01-22-2004, 07:21 PM
christ! tape it and keep going or tape it and take a break.
that's all a doc is going to do or say.

I thought getting a toe broken in judo/jujitsu/SC/whatever was a sign that you were actually training.

every guy in our class that has started within the last 10 months has busted one, my pinkie toe was sticking out at a 45 degree angle. But, no one has busted a second toe.

and, I heard someone recently say that if you were a real good grappler you shouldn't get cauliflower ear...

Oso
01-22-2004, 07:25 PM
I've dislocated just about every toe. the 4 small toes on my right are injured so often that they give a constant sharp pain, which I no longer mind.

Several of my toes are missing major peices of nail, as they have been caught and ripped away. Frequently after a randori my feet will be bleeding. cover them with tape. continue.

I have bruises on the insides of my ankles and shins that have been there longer than 6 months and show no sign of going away..

and my neck makes funny noises from getting cranked..

judo really is the gentle art..

yenhoi
01-22-2004, 09:57 PM
Tonight, one f my kicks was blocked with a elbow to my foot.

Ouch, ouch, ouch, ****.

:mad:

SevenStar
01-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Oso

and, I heard someone recently say that if you were a real good grappler you shouldn't get cauliflower ear...

That was a joke. However, cauliflower ear happens. our best grappler has it, and he's awesome. I don't think having it or not is a signifier of your skill level.

I've heard rumors that wallid ismail won't promote anyone to blue belt until they get it.

SevenStar
01-22-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by yenhoi
Tonight, one f my kicks was blocked with a elbow to my foot.

Ouch, ouch, ouch, ****.

:mad:

that shyt hurts...

Oso
01-23-2004, 04:36 AM
That was a joke. However, cauliflower ear happens. our best grappler has it, and he's awesome. I don't think having it or not is a signifier of your skill level.

I've heard rumors that wallid ismail won't promote anyone to blue belt until they get it.

actually I don't think it was intended as a joke.

The more skilled a grappler was, the less likely he would be to be in situations where he would get his ears damaged.

SevenStar
01-23-2004, 07:33 AM
you misunderstood. I was saying that

"you're not a REAL judo guy until you have that! you're not a REAL bjj guy until you get cauliflower ear."

was a joke...

I still think it's more happenstance than anything though. we've got guys that compete nationally and internationally - some of them have it, some of them don't.

Oso
01-23-2004, 07:51 AM
oh, I see...I wasn't referring to that post. I was referring to a conversation I had with someone last fall. He may have been joking as well but I didn't take it to be so. Since then, I've come to feel it's true. What cauliflower ear may be a sign of, mostly, is the amount of time you've spent having better guys abusing you.