PDA

View Full Version : bone training

Friendless Tool
01-22-2004, 12:18 PM
so Ive been doin shaolin for abouit 4 months now and we do these blocking exercises that help wih blocking as well as strengthen your arm bone. what im wondering is, is there anyway i can train my bones at home? any herbs that ic ould use to toughen the skin or bones themselves, my sifu knows iron palm, buts hes extremely secretive of it. he also cahrges a whopping $3,000 to teach it.

i want to learn iron palm but i dont want to use some video, i think its an art that requires a live instructor.

norther practitioner
01-22-2004, 12:31 PM
3 grand, ****...

I know a bunch of the Sifu's in that area, who are you training with?

There are a few Jows that could help you, there are people here that know a lot more about that than I do though, so I'll let them comment on that. Other than that, for my shins I roll a wood dowel up and down them to help condition them.... I guess you could do the same for your arms. I also try not to do those drills with the boney part of the forearm, but rather use the meat. which does need to be conditioned as well.

mortal
01-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Freindless tool does your school have a web site? Secretive Iron Palm for $3000 sounds like bull**** to me. If I were you I would find another school. Not only that but Iron palm in general is bull****. Your bones are hard enough. Smacking your palm into something to toughen it won't make it any stronger than bone.

MasterKiller
01-22-2004, 01:14 PM
Your bones are hard enough. Bones break pretty easily. Unconditioned hands/fingers can break if you hit something hard, like someone's head.

Repeated trauma to bones causes them to become more dense. A broken bone is typically much stronger along the break after it heals because the new bone is denser.

mortal
01-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Practicing Iron palm prevents bones from breaking? I don't think so. If you have power in your punch with correct technique(not something learned from a video) you will break your oponnents bones not yours. I have punched people in the face with everything I had and nothing happened to my hand.

mortal
01-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Also it is a known fact bone is tuffer that cement.

MasterKiller
01-22-2004, 01:53 PM
If you have power in your punch with correct technique(not something learned from a video) you will break your oponnents bones not yours.Who says you can't learn correct technique from a video? It may be harder, but it's not impossible or even improbable.

And having a teacher in the flesh doesn't guarantee your info is correct. I've seen plenty of people get bad instruction from a live teacher. Consider the source for all your material. There are good videos and bad ones.

And if bones are so 'strong,' what makes you think you'll be able to break your opponents skull open? Your hand better be tougher than his head.

I have punched people in the face with everything I had and nothing happened to my hand. Try hitting the top or back of their head sometime. Not every punch you throw will land square on their cushy little nose.

Also it is a known fact bone is tuffer that cement.It's also a known fact that plenty of people suffer from broken bones every year caused by relatively minor falls.

Bones break. Conditioning them makes them stronger.

Friendless Tool
01-22-2004, 04:27 PM
My sifu is Paul Chu. He teaches Wing Chun, Northern Shaolin, Choy Lee Fut, and Wong Style Tai Chi.

I think i was missunderstood when i said "secretive".
What i meant was that he doesnt ever demonstrate his iron palm skills in class. Although ive only been there 4 months. Ive asked him about it before, hes not like I WONT TELL. hes just kind of....vauge.

heres the site

www.chuskungfu.org (http://www.chuskungfu.org)

hes got a couple vids of various styles that he teaches.

The reason its 3,000 dollars is beacuse he trains with you everyday for about a year maybe more. He is very serious about upholding his name. so he doesnt **** around if hes gonna teach you anything.
This doesnt mean hes an ******* or anything. He just doesnt want people thinking he sucks. I think its understandble. He worked very hard to get where he is now and he doesnt want anyone messing it up for him.

Shaolinlueb
01-22-2004, 09:01 PM
they have some videos for iron body on martialartsmart. ;)

Friendless Tool
01-22-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Friendless Tool
i want to learn iron palm but i dont want to use some video, i think its an art that requires a live instructor.

...... as i mentiond before, im skeptical when it comes to vids. i cant ask a vid a question, i think a real person is needed for this kind of training.

however

if you or someone has personally done a video and got excellent results please by all means share

mickey
01-22-2004, 09:53 PM
Hi Friendless Tool,

I recommend that you wait to learn your Sifu's Iron Palm method. You have only been there four months! Give it time. Work on your basics (your strength and endurance as well) and your relationship with him. Who knows, when its time to learn it, you may not have to pay that much or nothing at all.

In the meantime, do hanging sandbag work and fingerpushups: great for the bones. You can also train your blocks on the bag.Ask your Sifu for pointers in making the sandbag and its contents. You should also try to develop your hand strength. I recommend the books "The Mastery of Hand Strength" and "The Grip Master's Manual" by John Brookfield-- available at Ironmind. Those guys at Ironmind have some very good hand strengthening devices.

I hope this helps,

mickey

stimulant
01-23-2004, 03:59 AM
bones generally Dont heal stronger after a break. it is very common for people to break the same bone more than once, even with many years between breaks. While new bone may be more dense (after a long period), the point where new bone meets old bone is often a weak point where re-breaks happen.

Some cracks do heal stronger.

weight training increases bone density and therefore strength. trauma (with out breaking) also strengths the bones.

Friendless Tool
01-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by mortal
Practicing Iron palm prevents bones from breaking? I don't think so. If you have power in your punch with correct technique(not something learned from a video) you will break your oponnents bones not yours. I have punched people in the face with everything I had and nothing happened to my hand.

Wow mortal, I wish i was totally awsome like you and could punch people and not hurt my hand.

first off, its not that amazing to punch someone in the face and not hurt your hand. Its been done before by plenty of people.

second, it is my understanding that iron palm is trained as an internal method where as you strike with what appears to be a light slap but really is an explosive force of internal energy that creates a devestating attack. such as ruptured organs. While ruptured organs may be a VERY rare case. Iron Palm is effective and applicable, and yes, bones do toughen as when you continusously condition them against a hard surface or even someone else's bones. Within 3 months, the bones in my arms got considerably tougher and denser by doing simple blocking exercises.

no one trains iron palm for the sole purpose of "preventing bone breaks"

it would be wasting their time. (maybe money)

Thanks for the tips Mickey

Ill be sure to pick up those books.

Vash
01-23-2004, 08:38 PM
I wish breaks to cartilage made it more super strongerer.

l33t $k!llz

Ironwind
01-26-2004, 02:44 AM
Iron palm is not as safe as a lot of people think. in years to come the unexplained pain in your hands will be almost deadly.

Some practitioners do the IronPalm training until thier finger tips are slightly darker than the rest of thier hands.

If you train in it be aware you don't have to treat it as a external style.

Chi is the case the Iron blow you seek.

Not self mutilation

Vash
01-26-2004, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Ironwind
Iron palm is not as safe as a lot of people think. in years to come the unexplained pain in your hands will be almost deadly.

Elaborate.

mortal
01-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Iron palm is a waste of time. All your time should be spent on training and building endurance.