PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian's results on twenty rep squat program (week 3)

Samurai Jack
01-22-2004, 05:37 PM
Ironfist asked that I post my results after I completed the twenty rep squat program touted in the book "Super Squats". That said, while my results are impressive so far, this is really just an effort to stay motivated on what has proven to be the most difficult, intense, unpleasant, and downright exhausting method of weight training I've ever engaged in.

To give a little background on me: I've been weight training regularly for a little less than four years. I'm a lacto-vegetarian (for religious reasons). I train martial arts for about twelve hours a week. I haven't experienced significant size increases in about three years as my bodyweight has never gone above 215 lbs., the level I achieved in after about nine months of weight training.

Size and strength have always been my goals. I imagined that I'd enter amateur powerlifting contests when I first started training, but gave up on that idea when my gains bottomed out. I've tried all sorts of strength routines including Static contraction training, power factor training, volume training, powerlifting workouts (many of which I've posted), and of course several of the crappy routines published in the so called bodybuilding magazines.

I've tried Andro supplements, creatine supplements, high calorie diets, weight gainers, protein powders, if it was legal, I was on it.

So, without further ado, herer are my gains on three weeks of Super Squats training:

Bodyweight start: 212 lbs.
Bodyweight now: 221 lbs.

Bodyfat start: 17%
Bodyfat now: 17%

Max bench start: 220 lbs.
Max bench now: don't know yet, 230bs. for 10 reps last workout

Max row: 190 lbs.
Max row now: jury's out but, 230 lbs. for 6 reps last workout

max Squat: 275ish lbs.
max squat now: unknown, 245 lbs. for 20 reps last workout

I'm training once a week on these lifts and drinking a gallon of milk a day. My routine is as follows:

Squats 20 reps
Bench 2 sets of 10 or less (to failure)
Rows 2 sets of 10 or less (to failure)
Forearm curls (o failure)
Reverse Forearm curls(to failure)
1 set of pullovers for 20 reps

That's it.

IronFist
01-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Samurai Jack
max Squat: 275ish lbs.
max squat now: unknown, 245 lbs. for 20 reps last workout

Do you mean 275 was your old 1RM? I assume it was cuz you said "max" and then didn't put any reps after it.

If 275 was your old 1RM and now you can do 245 for 20 reps, that's nucking futts, and also a huge gain. I can squat 245 nowhere near 20 reps.

How big of a ROM are we talking here?

Either way, good job. The 20 rep squat program is hard as hell.

Samurai Jack
01-22-2004, 10:01 PM
As full a range of motion as I've ever done. In fact, I think my form has improved quite a bit as I'm performing the reps a lot slower and really paying attention to spine position etc. Thighs are slightly lower than parallell when I'm at the bottom of my rep, though admmitedly, I don't drop quite as deep on the last few reps as I do on the first few!

I was origionally going to substitute deadlifts for the squats, but there's no way I could complete twenty reps as my grip would give out too soon.

I only wish I'd given the regular program a shot sooner! I can't believe the results either!

mickey
01-23-2004, 05:17 AM
Samurai Jack,

I noticed that you used the words "intense," "unpleasant," and "exhausting" in describing your squat program. How is your physical and emotional state after training and on off days? If it is not good, would you stand to make better gains (and feel better as well) if you added an extra day to recover between workouts?

mickey

IronFist
01-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Do you mean 275 was your old 1RM? I assume it was cuz you said "max" and then didn't put any reps after it.

Samurai Jack
01-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Mickey, I believe I'm probably the KFO member most likely to err on the side of too much recovery, rather than too little. I've been extremely sore for about two days after the workout, and moderately to lightly sore for two more. As my body adapts to the new demands, I've noticed shorter recovery time. That's likely to change as my weights go up, but I'm pretty sure I've got two or three months before I'll need to insert another day or two.

It seems like most of the folks on this board are proponents of the split and three-days-a-week routines. They don't work for me. Actually, I think most people would get better results from training less often, but more intensely.

Samurai Jack
01-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Oops, sorry iron, yes. I wrote "275ish" because I didn't actually try a 1 rep max before starting the workout. That was my 1 rep max about three or four months ago, however, I hadn't done any squats at all for about two months before the program, so take it with a grain of salt.

IronFist
01-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Going from a 1RM of 275 to a 20RM of 245 in three weeks is incredible.

mickey
01-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Samurai Jack,

I don't know if you already do this, I suggest that you supplement spirulina into your pre and post workout nutrition; even better, introduce to your diet period. It is quickly absorbed into the body and may help accelerate your recovery. It works very quickly on the cellular level. You will be amazed!

mickey

Ironwind
01-26-2004, 02:05 AM
I have a suggestion for your muscle gain.

Eat MEAT.
It's good for you hmmm... hmmmm good.

Life with out meat is tired, exhausting, and unpleasant.

Oh yeah and if you don't eat some kind of meat you Creatine and Whey protien might not work as effectivly as it would with some one who does eat it.
And may also explain your ability to squat more, for more numbers of time giving you the energy you lack in the protien you need so dearly you poor unfed child. :*(

Mr Punch
01-26-2004, 04:17 AM
:rolleyes:

ElPietro
01-30-2004, 07:41 AM
Your entire routine is based on six exercise, yet two of those six are forearm exercises?????

Samurai Jack
02-03-2004, 04:25 PM
Sorry for not responding earlier, I've had a cold and haven't been to work.

El Pietro:

"Your entire routine is based on six exercise, yet two of those six are forearm exercises?????"

Yes, I practice Aikido and Iaido, both martial arts that require supirior wrist and hand strength. Plus, I've got forearms like Popeye and I like them that way. :D

Ironwind:

Ha-ha, your whole post was funny. Thanks for making my day.

mickey:

Thanks for the advice.

Ironfist:

I just squated 255 x 20. The program's starting to get hard. I almost failed on the fifteenth rep because my form got all tweaked. Somehow or other I managed to do the last five in better form, but I didn't hit paralell on the 18th and 19th reps.

My 20th rep was nearly flawless though (!), wich supports the "supersquats" guy's claim about it all being a head game. This was the first time I did the squats without using visualization before hand. I'm definately following the program's advice TO THE LETTER from hear on out!

Ironfist, I can't thank you enough for turning me on to this program. It rocks!

IronFist
02-03-2004, 10:17 PM
I just squated 255 x 20

I just squatted 255 x 1 the other day :D

Samurai Jack
02-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Congratulations, Ironfist, and thanks again!

Merryprankster
02-07-2004, 06:37 AM
Man, Iron, I thought you were some kind of stud and you can only squat 255! ;)

IronFist
02-07-2004, 01:45 PM
I didn't say it was my 1RM. I just said I did it once last week :D

But it was an ass to the ground squat.

But I am pretty weak and I can't squat very much. But when I do it's all the way down which makes me better than the half-squatters who use a lot more weight.

Merryprankster
02-07-2004, 03:25 PM
But it was an ass to the ground squat.

Don't like these, but do go past parallel. At least I did when I was squatting :D

Pork Chop
02-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Dunno if this is the right place to ask, but I'm finding that if I do anything "azz to the ground" be it weighted squats or bodyweight squats or even duck walks; my knees will kill me for at least a day or two afterward.

Now I have an existing problem with squats because of my club right foot & bad knees. It gives me terrible balance when going down low. That's my major limitation in what I squat- not what weight I can get moving, but what weight won't make me lose my balance.

I'm wondering if I have enough reason to just do my squats in a range of motion I'm comfortable with?
Or if I should still keep trying to go low as possible?

IronFist
02-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by BMore Banga
I'm wondering if I have enough reason to just do my squats in a range of motion I'm comfortable with?
Or if I should still keep trying to go low as possible?

I would say in your case, stay within your comfort range. You don't want to injure yourself.

You also might want to check with a doctor about your knees and stuff. Or maybe a chiropractor. I don't know much about chiropractors, but one could probably check your alignment and stuff during the squat movement or something like that.

Good luck.

Pork Chop
02-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Thanks, appreciate the advice.

Wish my cousin was around more so I could work with him.
I still try to use what he taught me; but I could probably use someone more full time.