PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Heard the Word on This School?

Vash
01-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Eight Immortals (http://www.joybotsin.com/index.htm)

Looks interesting. I've kinda developed a slight infatuation with the Drunken kung fu, and am definetly interested in pursuing it once I'm healthy again.

Any word on these guys, positive or negative, would be greatly appreciated.

PHILBERT
01-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Well, how you gonna train with them? You are in Arkansas and they are in California.

Same advice, if you want to know about a school, go in, sit, watch and don't get sucked in too early.

Vash
01-23-2004, 05:15 AM
I may be having an opportunity to head out to cali this summer, right around the area of this school.

If I go, I will be doing a sit-in, just thought I'd get an advanced word.

kungfudude14895
01-23-2004, 06:18 AM
sounds like a good school......

Troy Dunwood
01-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Re: Our Club

Hello, we invite any and all to come and witness what we teach, our style of Eight Immortals is the only complete system of this branch of chinese martial arts. If you ever are in the area or plan on visiting the area feel to send us an email and let us know you're in town.

Vash
01-23-2004, 06:59 PM
Mr. Dunwood

Thanks for the reply. I sent an email recently to the email address listed on your website. Was wondering if you had a chance to take a look at it.

cerebus
01-23-2004, 09:25 PM
Hey! I'M in Oakland! And MY name is Troy! And I do Kung Fu! But I do Hsing-I & Bagua so I'm cooler than Drunken Kung Fu Troy :D :D :D . Wasn't aware of a Drunken style school around here but then the whole Bay Area has alot of cool stuf. :D

David Jamieson
01-24-2004, 07:43 AM
What are the origins of the Ba sien style Troy?

Is it drawn from strictly Taoist styles or is there elements of buddhist styles as well inclusive to it?

cheers

redtornado
01-24-2004, 10:37 AM
dd
I say sit in for a class first and then make your choice!!!

Troy Dunwood
01-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally, as explained by my Sifu our eight immortals fist series was that of an internal nature, liken unto tai chi but not exact, later on due to observations the movements were then characterized into a new formation, however the foundation or base has been left in tact. We still teach the skill tai chi bot gwa fist series before commencement of drunken boxing so as to introduce various aspects of taoist martial arts such as balance, continuity,as well as different types of force. As my teacher was one who held firm to his family style although deriving from wu tang, concerning buddhism and our tradition honestly there is no link bridging us together. Lau Family Eight Immortals Style comprise of various breathing (Chi Kong) skills as well as other specialized manoeuvers either directly or indirectly connected to one of the eight key word functions of our style and how energy is related to a particular body part or the flow of movement. Hope this is pretty clear.

Troy

Vash
02-23-2004, 06:58 PM
Choy Lay Fut in Florida (http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com/)

Just wondering. Bought a tape from them, haven't got word about it yet. Impatience is not a good thing to have in the consumer world.

SaMantis
02-23-2004, 07:26 PM
LKH Choy Lay Fut is an excellent school.

About the video, just give them a call to make sure they got your order. They're nice people. :)

Vash
02-23-2004, 07:34 PM
That's kinda what I figured. Since one of their sifu's had an article and a link in KFO, I figured they couldn't be too horrible.

I'll give the peeps a call in the morning.

Thanks for the response.

Shaolinlueb
02-23-2004, 09:02 PM
i love the last part of teh interview. :D if im ever in oakland i would stop by the school to see real eight immortal boxing.

DW: I know many styles have a drunken skill, are they similar to what you have learned?

TD: No, we have nothing in common. Our style is the drunken system, not a drunken set or form. In fact there are various training skills one must learn before learning the actual drunken skills.

DW: What is your opinion of other drunken forms?

TD: Frankly, from my observation most drunken skills out there are purely for show and lack any real combat strength.

DW: So I'm assuming your style is different.

TD: Very much so. With us one begins to learn foundation skills of our style like 7 Star Steps, Locking Hands, etc. These skills serve to train the student in stance, footwork, weight control, as well as introducing the student to the proper manipulation of the cup hand or drunken claw.

DW: What is your opinion of modern wu shu?

TD: I think modern wu shu is great, it is a great representation of Chinese martial arts. As a fighting art, well I have reservation. But then most players of modern wu shu of the compulsory standards are not training for fighting. But then again it is rooted in the traditional style with a different emphasis. Wu shu students can be quite a formidable opponent.

DW: Sifu Troy thank you for your time.

TD: Thank you for having me.

Vash
02-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Choy Lay Fut in Florida (http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com/)

I just spoke with a sifu (didn't get his name) from this school regarding my order. I mentioned that I had ordered one of their videos from the internet, and he remembered which one it was (the Drunken Form), knew when it would be shipped out, and was rather curtious despite his somewhat laboured english. He explained that he gets orders from many different countries for that particular form video, and must constantly restock his supply.
The he told me not to worry, and that it would be shipped out in five days.

This caught me off guard. It's very rare I talk to anyone over the phone regarding any type of business that is both courteous and helpful. It's usually one or the other.

Mad props to Lee Koon Hung Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu (http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com/) . I will most certainly be ordering from them again, and if I am ever in Florida, I will be checking out there school.