PDA

View Full Version : Baguafication

Octavius
01-24-2004, 02:11 AM
This is a question for those who study Bagua and also actively either continue to study or at least keep alive/not forget another art. Has/How has Bagua influenced your other/previous style? There's historical prescendent in that Dong Hai Chuan taught people who already had other art backgrounds, and this influenced how he taught them and how they evolved what they learned. Since I'm still a wee junior in the Bagua realm, I was wondering, for those with more years under thier belt, how the cross-pollination has been. Appreciate any input!

count
01-24-2004, 07:06 AM
There are quite a few things bagua seems to add to the mix. More options for one, combined with more opportunity for faster changes. Whole body unification for power. Increased moving root and harder palms (LOL). But on the whole, some people tell me they still see a lot of my mantis showing. :p

A lot depends on your previous systems and the methods used for training them. Every teacher might have a different idea of how to make your body move the way it's supposed to for power issuing. The most important thing is to have solid basics and an understanding of the purposes of what you're training. Beyond flavor and style, it seems to me, there are only different levels of kung fu. :cool:

bungda07
01-25-2004, 08:33 AM
Count, Have you ever had teachers who said Baqua would compliment your other styles of martial arts. If so, what did they see as the benefits. You mentioned some in your post. I study Northern Praying Mantis also. The stepping of Baqua is great changing directions quickly.

V/r
Steve M.

count
01-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by bungda07
Count, Have you ever had teachers who said Baqua would compliment your other styles of martial arts. If so, what did they see as the benefits. You mentioned some in your post. I study Northern Praying Mantis also. The stepping of Baqua is great changing directions quickly.

V/r
Steve M.
That's why Ba Bu Mantis uses Bagua footwork instead of the Monkey footwork of 7*. My teachers teacher always said, "you'll thank me for the bagua when you get old". ;)

Big3Internal
02-06-2004, 09:53 PM
It's taught me to be hard like Xing-Yi and soft like Tai Chi but the internal is diffrent than the two.The mud walking when done properly is very deadly, and I'm able to apply my internal to all my externel forms. Since Ba Gua is younger than most styles it can borrow from all the rest of the Chinese arts. I'm able to attack above and below at the same time.

Paul_E
02-07-2004, 03:26 AM
Big3Internal

Hey Carlos is that you? It must be someone from the Guan right? The content of your posts seem very familiar... and it says you're from chicago and I looked at your profile - it all came together.

Anyway, I actually went to class today man (friday). There're alot of good external cats. I gotta get better. Even those U of C kids are representing. Well, if it is you Carlos, I'll probably see you on monday.

Paul

Big3Internal
02-07-2004, 07:52 PM
Paul representing the Guan hope you can make it Monday.Will see you there.