PDA

View Full Version : asthma options

ninja turtle
01-26-2001, 04:07 PM
i was wondering if there was an all natural option to using an inhaler- herbs or a supplement or something. for ethical reasons(details in KF health section), i no longer wish to use my inhaler. any replies would be appreciated- as long as they aren't sarcastic crap answers. thanks.

LaoGo
01-29-2001, 07:38 AM
I couldn't just sit and let the anus win out. Long ago when Master Hsu Hong Chi was visiting the US regularly he did healings all over the south bay of Los Angeles. Asthma was one that he treated. The Chinese have herbal medicine for the disease. According to Master Hsu there are two kinds either hot or cold. The herbs prescribed treat one or the other. Maybe you should fine a good Traditional Chinese medical doctor and find the help you need..

Ma_Xu_Zha
01-29-2001, 07:33 PM
the lung meridan acts accordingtly to what is put into the stomach. if the food in the somach is full of bad chi and unwholsome energy it will affect your lungs, this is like alleric reaction to your food. the chinese have alot of foods they eat tha can nourish the lungs. you see food enters first the stomach meridian then the essence of the food is mixed with the air from the lungs, if the lungs dont receive proper nourishment the system as a whole is affected. again cold energy foods contract,weaken the stomach and lungs, fire energy makes the stomach and lungs to yang and 'burn you out.'

keep a record of what you eat everyday and how your body reacts to it.

GLW
01-30-2001, 02:22 AM
That explanation is WAY too simplstic.

Treatment of allergies and asthma with TCM in industrialized countries is one of the trickiest things you can do.

For example, you have prebirth Qi and post-birth Qi. Post-birth Qi comes from food, breathing, etc... So, anything tha affects your ability to breath impacts a significant part of your Post-birth Qi...not just food. Quality of air, allergens not of food origin...can do this. The TCM methods for allergy treatment actually has used an approach that western medicine has only recently used - ie. giving small amounts of a substance that causes a reaction until the body builds a natural immunity to it.

It is quite easy to talk about foods and such but diet changes can only affect so much and take a while to see changes. In the meantime, a person can die. The instances of severe asthma in the US, for example, is way up over the past 10 years...bad diet - definitely...but also bad air, more pollution, higher stress, less healthy parents - meaning less healthy children.

So....

What to do...

First, do not practice in areas that are overly cold. Cold air can cause spasms in the lungs. It is better to sweat than to breath too cold.

Second, divide your exercise into units. Make the unit lengths and exertion level be something that stresses you but NOT to the point of causing an attack.

Third, keep some hot tea...not Chrysanthamum...jasmine or oolong or green tea..and hot... with you when you practice. When your lungs tighten, take a brak and drink the hot tea...or hot water. The heat and tea tends to relax the bronchial tubes. This (with water) is a trick that is used at the National Asthma Center in Denver to keep from having to use stronger measures.

Fourth, get rest. Asthmatics tend to require more rest than others. Get used to it.

Fifth, avoid dairy foods, nuts, and such. They can cause problems. This also means limiting things like chocolate until you are sure it has no effect.

Sixth, learn Qi Gong...a moving variety such as 20 Postures for Health and Longevity or 18 Lian Gong. It works al of the energies and cna teach you to calm your mind.

Seventh, attend to your posture....especialy when you have an attack. Asthmatics tend to hnch over and do it even more when they have an attack. Stand up straight...it opens the lungs.

Eighth, keep records...of the good and the bad. The good helps you see progress. The bad helps you see patterns and triggers in your asthma.

Ninth, if it smells musty, unclean (as in dirty work out clothes, smelly gyms, moldy anything...) avoid it. Work out elsewhere. Avoid dusty places...including your own room...get it dust and mold free. such things may not trigger asthma automatically...but make it more likely.

Tenth, be patient and keep at it. It will be with you a long time...so you learn to rise above it and prevent. It can be done.

I spent a year at the Asthma institute in Denver...almost dies many times as a child...allergy shots... now I virtually never see an inhaler. No prescritpion drugs at home. Haven't seen an ER in years...unless you count training injuries....Chinese Martial Arts and Qi Gong have improved my health. I am in better shpe than most people 10 years younger, I test out at 90% in lung capacity...such that the MD doubted I ever had asthma until he read my medical history.

Just 10 principles....

LaoGo
01-30-2001, 07:39 AM
Really got things going didn't I.

Turiyan
02-09-2001, 04:02 PM
Ephedra -> clears dampness
Ephinephrine -> Clears wind (to drying for me)
Caffiene (Coffee,cola,green tea,black tea) -> Decent bronchiodiolator

The ECA stack is okay: Ephedrine, Caffiene and Aspirin.

There is some new stuff on the market with bitter orange and a mish mash of some of the above ingredients. Lasts for like 8-10 hours. I found that the first ingredients I list are too quick acting to safely go to sleep on.

I mean if it wears off you could die. Thats how hold people die a lot. While the ECA stack and time release gimmicks last through your average sleep cycle so you can breath enough to get on with your life.

I've developed serious heart problems from perscription asthma meds so watch out. Living in florida's been good to me. I've even forgot I have asthma. It really hasnt been a big problem for me. But it could sneak up on me one day.

I've almost died from asthma attacks and its really no joke. You can walk yourself to the hospital with a heart attack. I've even had heart failure and you can still call 911 and wait for the ambulance.

A real asthma attack puts you down. Be weary of so called second party cures. Asthma is mostly psychological. Never let anyone talk you into some bodywork or therapy that claims to cure the disease with some mumbo jumbo.

Real healers act with ethics and morals and would never deprive someone of the revelation as to why they have these issues in their lives. Its your karma and they are just looking to make a quick buck.

Just be satisfied with a "crutch" that helps you get on with your life. At least as much as you can get.

Turiyan, Brahmin caste, Ordos clan

The REAL taichi:
http://www.wfdesign.com/tc/
http://www.wustyle.com/108.html

whitelion
03-19-2001, 07:43 AM
All good advice above ;)

I have been getting some Reiki treatment for my asthma and I have noticed a huge improvement - so much so that I am looking to decrease my medication dosage.

Now, I don't know how much you believe in this stuff but a) I found the Reiki worked well and b) I was told that my condition was past-life related.

This made a lot os sense in my case once I found out, but not everyone believes in that kind of stuff so I won't bother recommending it :).

------------------------------------
Talk softly and carry a big stick.

Retired Taoist
03-20-2001, 04:38 AM
Well, if you want to use herbs as a treatment, the first thing you should do is to go and see a TMC doctor and ask him about it. Maybe he will also advise you other treatments, such as acupuncture or else.

Otherwise, you can have a look here (http://www.china-shopping.com/recipesproduct.asp?product_id=THRE2&class_id=THRE) where some known herbal recipes supposed to help against asthma are described. They may have some more, just make a search in their site if you are interested.

Dim Dam Doum