PDA

View Full Version : Why did you start to study MA ?

Ironwind
01-25-2004, 01:11 AM
I started because I was always being picked on becuase of my size
(which is nothing to worry about now). I was jumped, jumped, and jumped almost everyday. I started with karate, but even I as 9 year old saw it wasn't as effecient as kung-fu. My cousin/master tought me the outline and said it was up for me to form the picture. We ran endless drills and created drills and system modifications. We broke down our training into one2one exercise and then i moved up to having the rest of my family who knew martial arts train me or with me. i would train until my shoulder felt like boulders. One day after 3 months of avoiding being jumped i was approached. I was trained to snap, never to hold back, so I hospitalized the 5 kids. ( mind you i was 9 years old). Kung fu's circles and smooth movements protected my ribs. I was tired of the abuse I had never deserved. Thats why I started to learn how about you ?

Losttrak
01-25-2004, 10:59 AM
Lotta violence where I was growing up. Typical "tired of being a victim" story.

SevenStar
01-25-2004, 11:02 AM
if your karate wasn't efficient, I'd check the teacher, not the style. Likely, you weren't trained right.

I started MA when I was 6. My parents asked me if I wanted to take gymnastics or karate, and I chose karate. I've really only had one bully and after beating him down, I threw his shoes into a kerosene heater. The rest of my time growing up was spent as a bully killer - when my friends got picked on, they told me, and I beat up the bully.

Vash
01-25-2004, 09:05 PM
First, karate owns all over, well . . . pretty much whomever hasn't trained as smart and hard in another system.

Second, I started in ATA brand TKD. Sucked horribly. But, I didn't know that. Did that for 5 years, from about 6 to 10 or 11. Then I started working out with this squat joker in a Bradshaw Supplies shipping warehouse. Ended up that I and his son were the only kids in the class, and that kid was 4 years older than me. Three other adults, too. Anyway, he says he taught TKD with a nice spice of stuff he picked up along the way. Baddest two years of my life.

Took about 5 years off, started in Isshinryu karate. Been doing that for the past three years.

Anyway, why did I start? It sounded fun.

Ironwind
01-26-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Vash
First, karate owns all over, well . . . pretty much whomever hasn't trained

Exactly:cool:

There is a popular boxing gym in city, a nice number of martial arts trainers out here. Some proclaimed to be famous, but i haven't met any yet.

bodhitree
01-26-2004, 06:23 AM
cause religions don't work.

Ironwind
01-28-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by bodhitree
cause religions don't work.

OK

QUESTION MARK????????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Kempo Guy
01-30-2004, 09:29 AM
I started at around 5 or 6 years old. My best friend's dad was the local Kendo and Judo teacher. Being of half-Japanese and half-European descent growing up in Japan during the 70's (and going to a Japanese school being the only "foreigner") I was in a lot of scraps growing up as well, although this was not the reason why I wanted to learn MA.

KG

Ironwind
01-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Kempo Guy
I started at around 5 or 6 years old. My best friend's dad was the local Kendo and Judo teacher. Being of half-Japanese and half-European descent growing up in Japan during the 70's (and going to a Japanese school being the only "foreigner") I was in a lot of scraps growing up as well, although this was not the reason why I wanted to learn MA.

KG

Then what was the reason you started. That is what this thread is about Mr. Kempo Guy.

Vash
01-30-2004, 10:22 PM
I liked kung fu, but I ended up taking tae kwon do for too many years, then got two years of excellent, fight-oriented TKD from a little fireplug of a man. Now in my third year of Isshinryu.

Figured I should disrupt the conversation.

Kempo Guy
02-02-2004, 09:25 AM
Sorry dude...
Thinking back I guess I started because it looked fun...
I remember I wasn't allowed to join the "regular" classes as a lot of the parents did not want a "foreign" kid in the class, which probably fueled the desire to learn even more. I ended up learning semi-privately instead (along with my teacher's kids and a couple of other kids).

KG

CaptinPickAxe
02-02-2004, 01:14 PM
I have no single motive, but a blend of many reasons:

1. I was fat, out of shape, and had no self-esteem.
2. I was involved in risky business and do not belive in guns.
3. I was being walked on by all my friends.
4. I was a Kung Fu movie addict.

I was lead to Shaolin-Do, but after about 8 months I realized it wasn't what it seemed and left. 3 months later Shake found Shuai Chiao and thats been the story ever since. I recently found Splashing Hands to cover my hand game.