PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Lee's encounter with Grand Master Lam Sang

Sam
01-25-2004, 09:54 PM
The story goes that Bruce Lee went to the Hip Sing in search of Grand master Lam Sang of the Kwong Sai Jook Lum Gee Tong Long Pai Southern Praying Mantis. When Bruce entered the room he demanded to see Lam. An elderly gentleman was sitting and told Lee that Lam was not there and asked what he wanted. Bruce said he wanted to touch hands with him. The old man said that he was a student and that he would ablige Bruce. They started to chi sao when Bruce became aggressive the old man then layed into Bruce who immediately broke off and grabbed a staff and threatened him. The old man then told Bruce to put the pole down before he would give him something to take back home with him. Bruce Lee then left never realizing that the old man he had actually encountered was the great Grand Master Lam Sang.

Shaolinlueb
01-26-2004, 10:12 AM
eh bruce lee was a ****y *******.

Tit Sa
01-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Good story, except I don't remember reading anywhere, when Bruce ever travelled to New York; and his life is pretty well documented.

Oh...let me guess. Linda and all of Bruce's circle would never admit he went to New York and lost to some skinny old man. :rolleyes:

Funny, how everyone has beaten Bruce in private with no witness and documentation, AFTER he died. But when he was alive no one publicly challenged him.

MasterKiller
01-26-2004, 01:41 PM
But when he was alive no one publicly challenged him. Besides Wong Jack Man?

Chin Chung Cao
01-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Tit Sa, you dont get out much do you? Get a copy of "Bruce Lee" by Jesse Glover, Lee's first student. He mention's Lee's trip to New York and southern mantis. Danny Inosanto's has also spoken about this. As for the storie about Lee and Lum, depend's on who you ask. I am familer with his short association with some people in the system but have serious doubts about Lee and Lum ever crossing hand's.
Unfortunatly there are a lot of storie's about both men
and most is exaggeration or pure fabrication.

Sam
01-26-2004, 08:07 PM
My source is someone who was very close to Grand Master Lam. I myself believe him. I don't find it hard to believe that Bruce sought out the Grand Master and then ended up with Mark Foon Sifu.

diego
01-26-2004, 09:00 PM
this book goes indepth about bruce lee meeting Gin Foon Mark in NY: http://www.oaklandjkd.ws/page3.html

Tit Sa
01-27-2004, 04:34 AM
'My source is someone who was very close to Grand Master Lam. I myself believe him."

Of course, I didn't expect otherwise.

"Unfortunatly there are a lot of storie's about both men
and most is exaggeration or pure fabrication."

Finally we agree on something.

travelsbyknight
01-27-2004, 12:04 PM
I heard from my mother's father's sixth brother's cousin of Gin Foon Mark that Bruce Lee came to New York and did a demonstration in Madison Square Garden saying he was a southern mantis master. He gave a one inch punch demonstration. Gin foon Mark and Normin Chin went down and beat the crap out of him. Then he trained with Gin Foon mark for a while and learned most of the basics of his jeet kune do from Gin Foon Mark.

I've heard this from several different people.

Tit Sa
01-27-2004, 04:03 PM
I've heard that Lam Sang initially immigrated to Brazil first, that was where he met Maeda (Helio Gracie sensei), and in a private competition he used his light skill and jumped over Maeda while he tried to do a takedown.

Maeda was in awe at the Great Grandmasters amazing skill and subsequently started to learn from him, for a short while, until Lum Sang came to New York.

My cousin's brothers sister in law, who was a very close friend of Lum Sang lives in Rio told me this.

David Jamieson
01-31-2004, 10:20 PM
Diego-

You might wanna give epileptics a warning before sending them to that oakland link lol :D

Holy mama chihuahua, that colour scheme is making baby jesus cry!

cheers from my mother and fathers first son's younger brother and uncle to his sister in law's children.

cerebus
01-31-2004, 11:29 PM
OUCH! I think that website damaged my corneas! Who the hell decided on those colors?!!:mad:

LionDancer
02-02-2004, 09:24 PM
"Oh...let me guess. Linda and all of Bruce's circle would never admit he went to New York and lost to some skinny old man. "

I for one support Sam's statement regarding Bruce Lee's encounter with Master Lam. There are many 'closed door' students of the system that would also support this. I'm not sure about the Madison Square Garden incident though.....

As for a 'skinny old man', Master Lam was small in size but in his case, appearences were definitely misleading.

Tit Sa
02-03-2004, 05:25 AM
Iam sure if we would ask Linda or Inosanto they would say that is a lot of horse manure.

Closed door disciple....Cmon please... It is like asking a David Koresh follower do you think Koresh is telling the truth.

LionDancer
02-03-2004, 06:16 AM
Then for those who are not familar, it is of no consequence since they did not know him nor of his skills.

But also, your statement: "My cousin's brothers sister in law, who was a very close friend of Lum Sang lives in Rio told me this." is confusing because Master Lam did not venture to latin america.

So... it becomes clear.........

Tit Sa
02-03-2004, 12:48 PM
It is clear that statements are made without documentation, especially after the person in question involved (Bruce) is deceased, and the only proof being offered is "word of mouth" by people who sit on the opposite side of the person in question.

wushu chik
02-04-2004, 05:36 PM
If you all knew the truth about Bruce Lee and what actually happened with his fights (especially WJM) you'd think VERY differently about what Bruce really was all about.

Just think about what happened AFTER he fought WJM, and what reprocussions his "fights" have had......

It's all there...you just gotta read BETWEEN the lines ;)....

~Wen~

Ao Qin
02-04-2004, 08:40 PM
SPM is a truly amazing style! Not only did "they" beat the S#*& out of Bruce Lee, but also apparently, the founder of Dragon Style as well (Lam Yiu Kwai...according to Paul Whitrod)! I'm sure these "historical" accounts have all been well documented & verified through intensive research efforts from all parties involved...

No ill feelings though, eh?

Tit Sa
02-05-2004, 12:48 AM
It's been verified, "closed door disciples" of Lum Sang of SPM said it was a fact they beat every other style up.

Why would they lie? :D

LionDancer
02-05-2004, 06:02 AM
I cant say I agree with all the claims that other SPM students have made about themselves and 'beating up other styles'. All I can comment on is where Master Lam was involved.

But you know, isnt something true of all the other styles & some ppl too? Where students either exagerate about themselves or claim to be desciples when in fact not? HHmmm..... Food for thought.....

Shaolinlueb
02-05-2004, 10:20 AM
I thought Bruce Lee Did some type of Mantis Kung FU. I saw an old black and white Video of hi doing a Mantis Form. it was said to be in HK before he came to america.