PDA

View Full Version : What is the orgin of the Monkey Style

Ironwind
01-26-2004, 03:35 AM
Don't tell me you've discussed already, tell me.
And another question, Why does the style cause taller opponents problems does anyone know good counters for for the monkey kung fu, grapple thingy's?
What are some other things to keep in mind if I need to change my stance sequences a little in posture?

Royal Dragon
01-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Not sure, but the Monkey system that goes with Tai Tzu Chang Chuan is said to have been created in about 650 AD. That's about all I know.

I think the more common stuff (Tai Zhing/Pek War) is pretty reacent though, 1700-1800's? (correct me if I'm wrong)

bodhitree
01-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Monkeys.

Ironwind
01-29-2004, 11:13 PM
:D funny, mr.tree.
I'm looking for a more human-like humanoid for an answer.
Maybe Gene knows.

NorthernShaolin
02-01-2004, 12:50 PM
ironwind,

Well like Royal Dragon stated above, the current Monkey style that we see is not the same as the original monkey style. It may or may not be somewhat linked but it is difficult to trace. However, like RD states, the current monkey style was developed about the late 1700's to mid 1800's.

According to a book called Shangshu (Book of History) which was compiled nearly 3000 years ago, it mentions imitation of animal forms and movements, called Dance of 100 Beasts which assimilated various methods of attacking and defence. This became known as Symbolic Boxing.

In the Han Tomb #3 at Mawangdui they discovered a silk painting that contained pictures of an ancient form of a Monkey Style practiced 2,100 years ago.

Jump ahead to the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) we find that Monkey style was a major form. General Qi Jiguang wrote in his book, Jixiao Xinshu, about Emperor Taizu of the Sung Dynasty (960) practise not only 32 postures of Changquan but also Six Step boxing of Monkey and Bird Decoy.

Wang Shixing, who is a scholar of the Ming Dynasty, wrote that he witnessed a fight in the Songshang (mountains) and observed a monkey style exponent leap and turned as if he was a real monkey.

In the book, Jiangnan Jinglue by Zheng Ruozeng (published in 1564 - Ming Dynasty), it makes reference of a style called Thirty-six Tactics of Monkey Style and states that it as being a highly developed style.

From what most CMA historians believe, the original Monkey Style is lost but other Monkey Styles were developed over time and replaced it.

NorthernShaolin
02-01-2004, 12:58 PM
ironwind,

The reason why it is difficult to fight Monkey stylist is because there are really Five sub branches of the current Monkey Style. In order to be a qualified sifu in the style he must know all five sub branches. The five sub branches are called: Fire Monkey, Wood Monkey, Metal Monkey, etc. with each one using different attacking and defence methods.

The sifu decides what sub branch to teach an individual, based on his physical attributes, i.e., size, height, body frame, etc.

So even if they all learn from the same sifu, not all Monkey exponents will fight the same way because they are taught differently.

Doug
02-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Here is the official site:

http://www.taishingpekkwar.com/

I have been taught by the grandmaster and his son. They are both very good. I like how his son rolls (reminded me of the no-sound roll one strives for in Aikido). I did not get the chance to see the grandmaster do the same though.

Doug

Royal Dragon
02-11-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm actually interested in seeing some sites on the really old (650 AD) Monkey style. I know it's preserved in many Tai Tzu lineages, but it's apparently not openly shown.

Ironwind
02-20-2004, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the information.
Sorry been away so long, keeping up with my training.

Shaolinlueb
02-23-2004, 08:40 AM
now did the monkey king sun wukong do monkey kung fu? with his cudgel did he do monkey staff?

*read site* i guess there is kung fu based of of him.

are there any monkey schools in the northeast?