PDA

View Full Version : standing qiqong- timing

Ma_Xu_Zha
01-27-2004, 01:36 PM
It was told to me the other day that any internal stylist should practice standing meditation for no less than around 28 minutes. This is because it takes about that time for qi to completely make one round of circulation in the "lesser and greater microcosmic orbit." And if you dont practice it you could be damaging your bones and muscels.

This reminds me about something I have heard in the west that it takes about 30 minutes of exercise will allow adrenaline (nor adrenalin) to circulate in the body.

crumble
01-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Interesting, I think ~30 mins is a good amount of time, but I was told that the orbit moves much quicker. Seconds rather than minutes, even in the beginning stages.

But 30 mins seems to be a significant milestone I've heard. I guess that, if less, you could be cheating by using muscle tension. By practicing 30 minutes you are certain to clean-up the way you hold your body. (Of course this is something you build up to, not try to get on the first time you practice.)

qiphlow
01-27-2004, 02:41 PM
i think that one's qigong practice, especially standing meditation, is ill served by placing a time limit (minimum or maximum) on it. the idea with standing is to culitvate relaxation (mental and physical) so as to let the qi flow naturally thru the meridians. if one is not physically able to do prolonged standing and tries to force it, one may very easily create unnecessary tension in the body and block the qi from flowing, or by focusing unwittingly on the area of tension, may cause the qi to stagnate in that area. my advice is: stand as long as you can comfortably--you can always slowly increase the length of your session. the circulation of qi will happen naturally when one's body is ready for it to happen.

TaiChiBob
01-28-2004, 06:16 AM
Greetings..

Timing for standing meditations as taught to me is no less than 20 minutes, normally 40 minutes and longer as you choose.. There are numerous "circulations" within the human energy field, those circulations move in overlapping cycles.. like harmonics in sound vibrations, the circulations synchronize about once every 15-20 minutes and for 40 seconds to a minute we have a completely harmonized energy field that produces a vibration not unlike the sound of "Aum".. The most highly trained and disciplined practitioners have learned to harmonize these circulations almost completely ( a supreme feat ).. the result is enhanced energy, clarity, health and, a remarkable ability to live life at its best...

The longer standing times for beginners may seem uncomfortable to them, but.. it encourages them to preservere. Even the first time i stood for 20 minutes i could sense the benefits of such practices.. i could feel the various circulations, i could feel the blockages, i could feel the physical apparatus and its relationship to the energy fields.. (i couldn't do much with it, though).. If the beginner stops when it becomes uncomfortable they may never feel the fullness of the meditation.. Meditation is something we do to enhance our being, if the focus is "comfort" we will likely miss the work to be done.. Sure, after much practice meditation becomes the way we live our lives, but.. like any discipline the foundation work must be done.. The effort needed to maintain precise physical alignment and remain relaxed and subdue the "monkey mind" is just plain work in the early stages of standing meditation.. So, enjoy those early pains and challenges, the rewards are well worth the price of admission..

Be well..

batesy
01-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Thought this article might offer an interesting counter-perspective.

http://www.yiquan.org.uk/art-zz.html

Cheers
Batesy

jun_erh
01-29-2004, 06:44 AM
I think I've been doing mine way too deep.

Ma_Xu_Zha
01-29-2004, 06:55 AM
batsey- thanks for the info the part on slow twitch muscels that hold us up was very interesting and help justify doing standing meditation more to develop these muscels.

tai chi bob wrote:

There are numerous "circulations" within the human energy field, those circulations move in overlapping cycles.. like harmonics in sound vibrations, the circulations synchronize about once every 15-20 minutes and for 40 seconds to a minute we have a completely harmonized energy field that produces a vibration not unlike the sound of "Aum"

Is there any scientific basis to this? can you expain more? I like the metaphysical kind of information.

It remind me of the meridian (jinglou) system in chinese medicine where as time changes throught the day certain channels are opened and closed, but more like a two hours time. and also in buddhism (tibetan) we believe that our energy can change 108 times in 24 hours. the purpose to recite 108 mantras is to purify these 108 (faces) so we know our one true 'face'.

TaiChiBob
01-30-2004, 06:15 AM
Greetings..

I went to a Taoist seminar on "Subtle Energy Paths".. it was a few years back so i don't remember the names of the presenters (the 60's were very good to me).. but, the presenters were very knowledgable and quickly assisted us in sensing these paths.. they used something like accupressure to stimulate the smaller circulations to the point that we could noticably feel the paths.. it was quite refreshing to have tangible experiences and feel the incredible surges as the energies harmonized.. I have found this same technique used in the Tantric disciplines and it is equally effective..

During the standing meditations, after you have settled into the physical posture and stilled the mind.. don't "think" about the sensations, just feel them.. after some practice you will sense consistent vibrations (very slighy tingles) that form a network of pathways.. naturally, the major meridians stand out and are easily sensed, but.. the smaller circulations are the paths that are used by the major circualtions to touch every part of the physical being.. think of the major mreidians as the skeleton and the minor circulations like tissue..

I hope this helps.. i will look for the literature that was handed out at that seminar and maybe you can contact them directly.. there is no substitute for the experience, it definitely enhanced my own understanding and practice..

Be well..

Ma_Xu_Zha
02-03-2004, 09:58 AM
tai chi bob,

the 90's were good to me. You said something that strikes me personally in a good way.

You mentioned about channels similar to your experience in tantra. back in the 90's I studied the tantric yoga (not the sexual commercialized b.s.) with the tibetan lamas of the Bon, and Nygima traditions of Tibetan Buddhism. These yogas involve a much more higher and refined details of internal channels unrelated to chinese medicine but more Indian yoga.

The original posting was about 28 minutes for the qi to complete its circulation through the entire body via the lesser and greater orbits. I feel that is very important to know. However, after the 28 minutes I feel another tantic phase can be added to the standing as to bring the qi or (winds) into the central channels (kundalini) for mind training and enlightenment purposes.

I havent begun that yet because traditionally in the buddhist practice it is done sitting (to close the qi in legs to be guided into body) with the various prayers and bowing, and purification exercises and mantras. One is not suppose to break the rituals sequence, but I am sure it could occupy the minds wanderings about time and sensations while standing.

have you or anyone heard of these type of training added in yiquan, zhuan zhang or any other wu ji standing exercises?

IronFist
02-04-2004, 10:12 PM
Erle Montaigue says to spend at least 15 minutes doing standing qigong.