PDA

View Full Version : ANYBODY mastered HUNG GAR five amimal forms?

thutn
01-27-2004, 05:47 PM
I learn HUNG GAR(from video tapes) for 2 years, and my next set is the five animal. I wonder how is it like!

any practice tips????
anything at all?

thankyou!!

Fu-Pau
01-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by thutn
any practice tips????
anything at all?

Tip: if possible, learn from a Hung Gar master, not a Hung Gar video.

Southern Fist
01-28-2004, 02:37 AM
I have to agree with Fu-Pau. Videos are supplimentary to the training of the style. You will still need a knowledgeable Hung Gar teacher to explain to you the Theories, Concepts, Modifications, various applications or explanation of the movement.
Time and Money is always an issue for practitioners who learn from videos.
May I ask who (Which Hung Gar teacher you are using as a reference in the videos) You may want to contact that Teacher to assist you as well. That teacher may give you the Tips you are looking for. That teacher would be a better information source.

:cool:

thutn
01-28-2004, 12:11 PM
I purchase video tapes from Sifu WING LAM, I live in IL, there are no HUNG GAR SCHOOL, maybe there is, but 2hrs away, too far.

I contact Sifu Wing Lam often, but I also need advise from you guys too!

thank you!

WanderingMonk
01-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by thutn
I purchase video tapes from Sifu WING LAM, I live in IL, there are no HUNG GAR SCHOOL, maybe there is, but 2hrs away, too far.

I contact Sifu Wing Lam often, but I also need advise from you guys too!

thank you!

just re-read your post, I guess you are already in Sifu Wing Lam's diestance learning program.

go to the southern fist forum where some of sifu wing lam's students hang out and ask your questions there.

http://www.forumco.com/hungkuennet/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=8&CAT_ID=1&Forum_Title=%21+Hung+Ga

heck you can find a bunch of info on hung gar to supplement your training.

hasayfu
01-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Lot's of info on the other forum but just to get you started, here are some tips for 5 animals.

Don't strain when doing the dragon portion. Dynamic tension is not muscular tension but ligament/tendon tension. (my anatomy knowledge is bad and I always foreget which is the longer one)

Liken it to a piano string. Not to tight or too loose and you make a pleasing sound. Same for the vocals.

General for all tapes, pay close attention to details. Structure is very important. Speed and power are secondary.

You should also tape yourself and send it to sifu. I believe he will give you good comments.

Finally, if you have been studying for 2 years from tape, save up some money and come out to Lam Kwoon. Nothing can replace a private lesson with Sifu. I've meta few of the people on this board who have done that. IT's very worthwhile and will give your study a quantum leap.

FYI, I am a HG instructor for Lam Kwoon.

Nevermind
01-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Hey, Ha Say Fu! I will keep that advice in mind as well. 5 Animals will be the first set I learn after I test (and hopefully pass :D ) out of my current level. Thanks!

hasayfu
01-29-2004, 07:48 PM
Just some words of encouragement and early congrats.

Starting Sup Ying/Ng Ying for many is the start of the internal side of HG. It's a whole new level.

SiuHung
01-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Nevermind
Hey, Ha Say Fu! I will keep that advice in mind as well. 5 Animals will be the first set I learn after I test (and hopefully pass :D ) out of my current level. Thanks!

Wow, that's cool, how long have you been training? What are the requirements to pass your current level?

Nevermind
01-30-2004, 12:25 PM
I have been training Hung style for a little over 2 years now. I have been working on Gung Gee Fook Fu for almost a year now. In addition, at my current level, is Butterfly Palm, and several broadsword sets. However, I will also have to test all of the material that I have learned in the last 2 years.

SiuHung
01-30-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Nevermind
I have been training Hung style for a little over 2 years now. I have been working on Gung Gee Fook Fu for almost a year now. In addition, at my current level, is Butterfly Palm, and several broadsword sets. However, I will also have to test all of the material that I have learned in the last 2 years.

Oh, cool, does your test involve any practical skills- Apllications or self defense?

manofkent
01-31-2004, 09:13 AM
thutn

Try find a club or any tutor, and if u cant find any hung gar trainers in ur area, find something else. u cant learn martial arts on ur own. even if its some crappy arobics kick boxing, its better then nothing, even in a basic ma school u'll learn things u can use to improve ur hung gar