PDA

View Full Version : share your stories - the best, smallest martial artist you've ever met

Octavius
01-29-2004, 02:20 AM
Who was the best, and smallest (in physical size) martial artist you've ever met? I've found that when small guys get good, they get ridiculously good (I guess to compensate to lack of size, they sharpen their skills to the max).

My story: when I was in high school, had a friend who's father was a TKD black belt from Korea. No taller than 5'6", maybe 150 pounds tops. But solidly built and all the muscles were like steel cables kind of body. Very old school kind of guy. Very mellow and laid back, surprisingly enough, but old school in that he was combat, fighting skills first, sports and ranks and such, didn't give a hoot. Had become a blackbelt in the Army back in the 60s, served in Vietnam, got back and went up to 3rd degree, and never bothered to test any further (got sick of teh politics, got in your face to some higher ups and got kicked out). My friend told me that his dad's personal schedule was to get up at 4am, practice for an hour and a half, then leave for work by 6 to get to the store by 7, to open by 8. Ran a dry cleaner with the wife. Then would go home by 4, practice with his sons for 2 hours, go back to the store, and close up with wife and be home by 9 or 10. And this was during teh weekdays. Ridiculously fast kicks. Didn't like breaking boards - preferred to pound on a small tree in the back yard wrapped in rope - sort of a natural makiwara. Last I heard the tree didn't last too long. I tried to train with my friend and his Dad for a month, but it as too intense for me, and school got in the way, so I quit (yeah, I was a wuss!). He was the kind of guy who's philosophy was "sure TKD kicks to the head, but the trick is to bring the head to teh foot, not the foot to the head". Recently recovred from a liver transplant (he liked to drink) and still going strong at the age of 66. Still moves faster than me or his sons. Not as flexible anymore, but his sense of timing is unnerving. Favorite technique is a front heel kick. Can use it against practically anything I or my friend can do - just jams the hell out of us everytime we even think of moving. Scary dude, hope I'm like that when I'm in my 60s.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-29-2004, 04:51 AM
myself.

before my string of ridiculously terrible things i was 145lbs at 5'4''.

my strikes were by no means hard for a little guy. they were ****ing hard. it was neat and a little scary to watch a guy my size generate as much power as i was. no chi blasts or mystical powers ... just good old fashoned body mechanics and a lot of heart.

i could mention that one of the guys at my school is my size, better than i'll probably ever be, and can hit even harder than i was able to, but i'd rather not.

backbreaker
01-29-2004, 03:12 PM
2 people that come to my mind are Mark Brackenbury and Eric Tuttle

Mark Brackenbury from abbotsford B.C. is the best Muay Thai fighter I have seen in person. I got to spar a couple rounds with him and although he is 145lb his inside fighting is strong. I was surprised when he grabbed my head how hard the grab was. He truly is incredible to watch; he'll either catch every head high kick thrown, or he'll kick out the back leg instantly as the opponent throws a high kick. Can't find much on the internet about him

http://message.axkickboxing.com/profiles?action=display&name=Mark+L

I learned Chen Taijiquan from Eric Tuttle for 2 years and I learned alot and really improved my taiji. He really is a master or expert of internal styles. Chen Taiji , xinyiluihequan, luihebafa, baguazhang and also knows other CMAs. Very good instructor for fighting applications and very, very powerful for someone his size. Can shuai jiao throw 2 people( and says he can throw off 5 people) at once due to peng and the internal
The only picture of him I could find on the internet:

http://home.achilles.net/~pchan/sem200206pic.html

Ironwind
01-30-2004, 12:35 AM
I once went to school with this nijitsu black belt around 5'5.
He and I started a club that faded out because we rtained to hard for the other so called practitioners.
Sparring with him was hard he was always getting close to my inside targets before I could rechamber my arms.
It was like as I threw the punch he was already waiting to tap my ribs or armpits.
His footwork was amazing it was like he was the david copperfield of footwork. his feet were everywhere.
So far no proof of smoke and mirrors.

SevenStar
01-30-2004, 03:08 AM
my friend and former sempai is a Japanese guy that's 5'5 and 150-155. solid physique, fast as lighting and has one of the hardest roundhouse kicks I've ever felt. amazing coordination, good mobile footwork and good throws.