PDA

View Full Version : TCM view on curing the common cold?

premier
01-31-2001, 12:56 AM
Isn't this the flu season? well. doesn't matter. I know I'm suffering it at the moment.

So. how do they cure flu in TCM? any nice tricks? diet? some type of qigong exercises? (I'm familiar with lohan qigong)

GLW
01-31-2001, 02:33 AM
The FLU is not seen as just one thing in TCM.

The cause of illness in TCM is not the virus or bacteria. It is an imbalance in the body.

If the body was balanced and the Qi was strong, the virus would not find an entry. One of the functions of Qi, for example, is to support the immune system.

In this light, the flu is simply an opportunistic house guest..that does bad things.

So, the first thing with TCM and a cold or flu is to diagnose. This is via the pulse, tongue, eyes, tone, etc... and interviewing the patient.

From all of these, the TCM doctor will determine what first needs to be supported. The first principle is to support the good....meaning tonify the parts of the body that are working and fighting the illness.

The second part is to adjust the bad. This means that you determine if the problem is deficient Lung Qi...then include in the treatment something to strengthen the lungs.

Typical treatments include cupping along meridians and different points, acupuncture, and herbs.

Herbal treatments can include things like Yin Chiao pills (very good for head and chest colds), some salves, and the fun one...decoctions.

Decoctions are sometimes called herb tea. They make a prescription of various herbs all precisely measured out. You then take a package and put an amount of water on them and boil it until the amount of water has reduced to 1/3 or 1/4. Then you pour that out into a container. You add more water and boil again to reduce to 1/2. Pour the remainder to mix with the first...Then you can add honey or sugar to some...to make it drinkable...or with some, you can't because those things may interfere with the herbs. Then you drink 1/2 of the mixture for each dose. Usually, this is a twice a day thing.

Taste nasty...but reduces the duration of a cold or flu by 50%.

premier
01-31-2001, 07:07 PM
what a great reply =) Are you some kind of expert on TCM?

GLW
01-31-2001, 07:51 PM
Not exactly..one of my teachers is one of the founding professors of one of the largest Chinese Medical Schools in mainland China.

Also, all I mentioned are things I have actually been through myself...and when any doctor prescribes stuff for me I ask a load of questions...and we went into the theory and all of that for TCM and colds.

premier
01-31-2001, 08:19 PM
ok. cool =)

woliveri
01-31-2001, 08:24 PM
That is a very good reply GLW as it changes the focus of the treatment. It also supports my friend who has not been sick at all for over 10 years since he started practicing qi gong.

Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East
By Baird T. Spalding