PDA

View Full Version : Zui Pa Hsien - eight drunken inmortals boxing

kai men
01-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Hi guys.
I would like to know if anyone here has some information about the Eight Inmortal Fairies and the Eight Inmortals Boxing.
If there is some interesting link , please let me know.
thanks in advance
horacio

wentwest
01-30-2004, 02:49 PM
I came accross this site the other day while doing some research. It seems like what you're asking about...

http://www.joybotsin.com/

Shaolinlueb
02-01-2004, 11:31 AM
theres a book or two about it on wing lam www.wle.com
jsut do a search.

Judge Pen
02-02-2004, 02:10 PM
I think CLF teaches forms based on the 8 drunken immortals. I know that Sd does, but no one cares about us! :D

BTW, we only teach Eight Drunken Immortals. Has anyone heard of a sober set based upon the immortals?

Shaolinlueb
02-02-2004, 06:50 PM
sober? wtf? whats the point of being a drunken immortal if you're sober? :(

norther practitioner
02-03-2004, 08:11 AM
I always thought it was just one of the immortals that was a drunk....:confused:

No_Know
02-03-2004, 09:07 AM
Perhaps only one Immortal had a gourd for carriing around drink. And they are not always portraied inebriated. But the techniques are perhaps done with at least a hint of drunkenness.

Sober might be a way to learn the techniques, and drunken aspect is added. The right portrayal of drunken might be able to beat the opponent's perceptions for how/when the technique is comming.

It's not so much drunk as it is rhythm of movement. Drunk gives an identifiable format to the unortodox movement that allows consistant surprise attacks

Shaolinlueb
02-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by No_Know
Perhaps only one Immortal had a gourd for carriing around drink. And they are not always portraied inebriated. But the techniques are perhaps done with at least a hint of drunkenness.

Sober might be a way to learn the techniques, and drunken aspect is added. The right portrayal of drunken might be able to beat the opponent's perceptions for how/when the technique is comming.

It's not so much drunk as it is rhythm of movement. Drunk gives an identifiable format to the unortodox movement that allows consistant surprise attacks

havent you seen the movies?
jackie chen gets stronger when he gets drunk for his drunken boxing :D

Scythefall
02-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Yeah, Shaolinlueb's got it. "Drunken" is just a description for them. The 8 Immortals appeared to be drunk because of their odd mannerisms which were actually just manifestations of their enlightenment. I haven't learned any of the forms yet, but they are designed to be "off balance" which just means the balance is completely retrained from traditional. It's kind of like if you're doing sticky hands with someone and just when you feel like he's yielding, he caves in your chest.

joedoe
02-17-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
I always thought it was just one of the immortals that was a drunk....:confused:

The story goes that they all got drunk and got a bit too rowdy in heaven, so the king of heaven tried to subdue them but couldn't and eventually had to call buddha in to calm them down :).

stimulant
02-19-2004, 08:46 AM
wait a min....if you must 'first empty your cup'...then you fot nothing left to drink !

One Finger Zen
03-19-2004, 04:30 AM
I always thought that the 8 drunken immortals form was from Hung Gar?:confused:

One Finger Zen
03-19-2004, 04:37 AM
I always thought that the 8 drunken immortals form was from Hung Gar?:confused:

Ben Gash
03-19-2004, 05:52 AM
One Finger Zen, CLF and Hung Gar both have Joy Bot Sin Kuen, as do several other systems.
Judge Pen, there's an 8 immortals substyle within Wudang kung fu, which contains sober hand, staff and sword sets.

Ben Gash
03-19-2004, 05:59 AM
Oh, in fact Troy Dunwood's system appears to be a version of this :o