PDA

View Full Version : how does taiji keep you young?

bung bo
01-30-2004, 09:35 PM
i'm not doubting it, but how does this actually work? how is your body kept physically fom aging badly. not just cosmetically, but internally, as well. can somebody explain the actual elements of it. maybe in western terms if possible. i'm only a bit familiar with TCM terminology. thanks in advance.

GLW
01-30-2004, 10:32 PM
This applies to Qi gong as well....

When you exercise normally, your heart rate increases, your respiratory rate increases, and unless you are careful, you may find that while the level of oxygen in your blood goes up, it might not go up in proportion to the rate of respiration.

In Taijiquan and Qi Gong, your heart rate increases, your respiratory rate actually goes down (slows), while the amount of air and therefore oxygen should go up.

On a cellular level, your blood takes X amount of oxygen to each cell. The blood system then also takes AWAY X amount of waste and C02 and such. Now, if you service the cell more efficiently - either MORE oxygen and nutrients, or more frequently, you also tend to take away more wastes and toxins from the cell.

So...what would cause aging - the breakdown of the body and its cells. Toxins and such can play a big part in how fast this happens....that is why living a hard drinking smoking life tends to age you.

So, doing something that helps remove toxins SHOULD slow the aging process.

Aside from that, folks that do Taijiquan and Qi Gong also tend to lead healthier lives....but that alone does not do it.

I have WAY over simplified the process but...the idea is that what happens with the respiratory and circulatory system because of Taijiquan or Qi Gong practice affects the body on a cellular level and affects the toxin level...and also endorphines and such with immunities...

Do this, and a natural by product will be aging is slowed down.

count
01-31-2004, 05:32 AM
Excellent points GLW,

My theory is when the spine goes you get old. Old people always seem to be hunched over. That is why tai chi and more so, bagua add years to your life. Opening and closing and strengthening and flexing keep your spine healthy and strong.

Got Chi?:D

bung bo
01-31-2004, 12:11 PM
WOW, thanks GLW! that was the kind of answer i was hoping to get. that helps me out.

looking_up
02-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Hi Count,

As you know, we do a lot twisting and open/close in Chen taiji too! At least, if you're doing it right...

Pawa-eri-to
02-04-2004, 12:16 AM
At the very LEAST moving is better then not moving, and taichi is a very low impact workout that works the muscles very well.

bamboo_ leaf
02-04-2004, 07:40 PM
I would say mindset is very important; taiji promotes a very different mind set then most other arts that I have come in contact with. The idea of sung carries over much better then some of the other mentalities that some arts cultivate.

David Jamieson
02-04-2004, 10:29 PM
That was a good post GWL.

I am interested to know more about studies directly related to this.

From what I know, the spine is of some importance, as well as breath, blood and healthy intake of food as well as preventitive medicine practices.

Food and medicine are not directly related to Tai Chi, but definitely enter the mind of the practitioner as they progress through time and practice.

So, other arts besides tai chi show us that breath and spine work preserve and enforce ones health overall. Intake of good food and preventitive medicine (simple things such as tea to anti oxidize, herbs to fortify against cold or heat, liniments to fortify against tissue damage, etc etc.) chronic symptoms tend to not show up and acute symptoms tend to be fewer in those who undertake Tai Chi practice and work it into an overall lifestyle beyond just the act of practicing form and breathing.

So, as Bamboo leaf says, mindset is clearly key in an undertaking like that. Beginning and getting to lifestyle practice is a lot harder.

cheers

GLW
02-05-2004, 07:13 AM
My observations are minorly supported by some research I have read over the years in various journals...

And then majorly supported by going back to things like Biology 101 - Krebs Cycle, respiration cycles and such from Biology, observations and papers on what aerobic exercise does...etc...

Unfortunately, not too many people are keen to do this type of research. Those that are interested in it either don't have access to qualified people for the Taijiquan Qi gong part (we have all seen the research and magazine articles where they mention their tech resource - and it is someone that is a KNOWN BS artist)

OR....those that are qualified do not do it - since there is no money involved.

I would say that the breathing and the Oxygen/CO2 cycle - and possibly even the Potassium/Sodium cycle for the nervous system may be involved here. If not, then you would get exactly the same benefits from any form of low impact aerobic exercise.

Breathing and the mind play a big part. Unfortunately, western medical research is still in a large state of denial about such things....even though they have been doing placebos for years.

greendragon
02-07-2004, 02:35 PM
also... TCC motions exercise the "kwa" or inguinal cut where torso and leg meet. This is a lymphatic drainage area and improving circulation of lymphatics (you have 3 times more than blood) strengthens your immune system. Therein lies some of the anti aging mojo. And learning to relax...

Ford Prefect
02-10-2004, 11:34 AM
I think it's due to the calming aspects of it's practice. Stress can lead to many degenerative and life-risking conditions.

I also think it's due to the fact the joints of the body are regularly worked through a large range of motion. The spine, the waist, the shoulders, the knees, etc. Whereas most people stiffen up with age because these ROM's are not regularly explored, the taiji practitioner will remain limber. You gotta move it or lose it... This obviously increases quality of life and makes one a lot less suceptable to injury or becoming immobile. Just look at the range-of-motion stuff on the market. It looks a like CMA warm-up drills and internal movements.

I'm not so sure on the o2/co2 cycle theory. Generally, the more co2 you have in your system, the more effeciently o2 is delivered to your cells. Obvious acceptions are co2 poisoning... Hyperventillation is a branch of this phenomena. You don't have too little oxygen in your system, but too much which is why you breathe into a paper bag: to increase co2 levels. When too little co2 is present, o2 can't unbind from the hemoglobin. This is also why freedivers will hyperventillate before diving so that they can hold their breath for longer. As they hold their breath longer, co2 builds in their system, thus unbinding that trapped o2 from the hemoglobin.