PDA

View Full Version : Where to get nhb gloves that don't suck?

IronFist
02-01-2004, 01:53 AM
Most of the ones I've seen suck. I don't want the ones that half like 3/4 finger padding (like the "Jeet Kune Do" gloves that everyone knows), and I don't want ones that have a "punch bar" or whatever that bar in the palm that you squeeze is called.

I've seen some that have thumb padding, and others that don't (your thumb just comes out of a hole in the palm). I can't decide if I want thumb padding or not.

And some have a palm, and others are completely open-palmed (like there's a big hole in the palm, like this (http://sherdog.bigstep.com/Images/ufc_gloves_tito.jpg)

I was thinking about maybe some like these (http://sherdog.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=894902%7C1125002&PRID=1280763), but they're freaking expensive!

What kind do you use? And what do you recommend? Someone in my class had some cool ones. I should just ask him where he got them, huh :)

Oh yeah, one more requirement is that they have to be velcro only, no laces, and the velcro can't come undone easily like if something rubs across the strap.

SanSoo Student
02-01-2004, 03:23 AM
60 bucks for those, gotta be kidding me...what a rip-off!

I hear the open-palm ones are descent: a guy at my gym uses them for bag work and lifting.

monkeyboxing
02-01-2004, 07:55 AM
http://www.karate-mart.com/vinopfinchop.html

IronFist
02-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by SanSoo Student
I hear the open-palm ones are descent: a guy at my gym uses them for bag work and lifting.

What would be the purpose of an open palm glove for lifting?

IronFist
02-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by monkeyboxing
http://www.karate-mart.com/vinopfinchop.html

I have some like those. I'm looking to upgrade. Also, the velcro straps on those (at least one mine) tend to come undone if the strap rubs something the wrong way. And they go back on the forearm a little more than I'd like. Thanks for the suggestion, tho.

SanSoo Student
02-02-2004, 12:21 AM
He uses them for the punching bags, maybe he grapples with them...I don't know.

Golden Arms
02-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Ironfist..I post this everytime you ask this.....maybe you will try them maybe you wont..but either way they rule. I have had a pair for 3 years now, the leather is strong enough they look like they are 2 months old tops, I use them a lot, and heavily, and the punch bar is very easy to remove.. I will even show you how once you get them. Also, they have excellent wrist support if you want it, and can also be fastened so that they give NO wrist support, like I prefer. These gloves kick ass my friend. ...they are called harbingers.

Here They Are (http://store.usbodyware.com/harbagglov.html)

IronFist
02-02-2004, 04:12 PM
Do those have the palm bar in them?

Ralphie
02-02-2004, 04:32 PM
These ringside ones are good as well
www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=ZGRAP&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=69 (http://)

palm is open, no chuck norris role of quarters bar either

rubthebuddha
02-02-2004, 04:34 PM
harbingers have a palm bar, yes, but it can be cut out with a razor and five minutes of free time (you know, all that time you don't spend doing cardio :p).

they are sweet gloves. i got my pair 14 months ago, and i use them both for sparring and (since i cut out the palm bar) for escrima.

love them harbies.

IronFist
02-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Ralphie said:

These ringside ones are good as well

Yeah they look pretty cool.

Golden Arms
02-02-2004, 06:14 PM
See Rub's post. They have it, but only if you want it..taking it off does not damage the glove at all, and I work on palm strikes and grabbing all the time with them, as well as all the rest of the stuff.

Shaolinlueb
02-02-2004, 06:39 PM
www.nagafighter.com

here's a direct link to the store

http://nagafighter.semkhor.com/page.asp?content_id=3016

rubthebuddha
02-02-2004, 11:03 PM
golden arms -- we puget folk know what we're talking about. why doesn't anyone else? :confused:

:D

IronFist
02-03-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
www.nagafighter.com

here's a direct link to the store

http://nagafighter.semkhor.com/page.asp?content_id=3016

Those look cool. If I was a good fighter I'd get the green ones :D

Have you used those? How is the padding? Does the strap come undone while training (like if you brush across an opponent or some similar motion)?

edit- also, there's a thin strip of leather between the palm and the thumb. Is that pretty tough or will it rip easily?

Thanks.

PHILBERT
02-03-2004, 12:59 AM
Century's MMA glove (http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&productId=10372&langId=-1&product_parentId=10201&crumb=13501-13519&categoryId=10201&parent_category_rn=13523) is a nice glove IMO. Sure you are supporting XMA with a purchase, but the inside is open. It has plenty of padding, yet tough enough to do damage.

IronFist
02-03-2004, 01:16 AM
I think I just found the ones that are the same as those NAGA ones, except without a logo and $10 cheaper.

They look exactly the same, yes? (http://store.yahoo.com/karatedirect/ulmmaglov.html)

Meat Shake
02-03-2004, 07:41 AM
I have the century gloves that they sell at academy. I like them a lot, but I had to cut out the punch bar.

Pork Chop
02-03-2004, 08:26 AM
Date: 01/20/04 06:42 PM
976 Total Posts Ignore User

8oz Kikskin - prototypes tested.
Kikskin make the official glove of the IFC.

Kikskin have used the design as the Boxergenic glove but instead of using leather coated padding on a neoprene glove Kikskin have decided to make their whole glove out of a tough, durable nubuck leather which will appeal to those who like their gloves to last.

The glove has the same open palm design, the same finger loop fastening’s and the same open thumb strap as the Boxergenic but the neoprene has been replaced with nubuck leather.

When you first try on these gloves they do feel quite bulky and a little uncomfortable, however once you have worn them in you will find that they are very comfortable and are a great fit.

The padding is the same splayed design as the Boxergenic and the wrist wrap is the same design also so you won’t have any problem with them coming undone during training.

Pros: The glove comes in four sizes, S - XL and two weights, 8 oz and 10 oz, this is due to the California Athletic Commission who require a MMA glove to be at least 10 oz’s. I also prefer the 10 oz glove, the extra padding makes sparring a little less bloody.

These gloves are also very hard wearing, I have used these gloves a lot and they still look as good as new.

Cons: If I had to pick a fault with this glove it would have to be with the excessive use of leather around the pinkie finger loop, there seems to be twice as much leather on the little finger then on the others, it does feel a little uncomfortable. Make sure you buy the right sized glove, I tried on a large pair and it felt like I had a shoe box on the end of my hand.

Overall: The Kikskin gloves are expensive but I definitely feel that you get what you pay for. The glove is well padded and incredibly durable, I would definitely recommend these gloves to anyone who want’s a tough long lasting glove that they will not have to replace for a very long time.

I have been informed that Kikskin have modified their gloves since I obtained my pair.*

Apparently they have made the leather softer and have taken some of the excess leather off the pinkie finger loop. If this information is correct I think Mr. Kikskin may have a potential winner on his hands. A great alternative to the Boxergenic.

Design: 8/10 Quality: 10/10 Value for money: 8/10 Overall: 9/10 You can buy the Kikskin gloves at www.kikskin.com or you can e-mail Scott at MrKikskin@aol.com Gloves cost $59.95.

*Note: The gloves tested were early Kikskin prototypes. The full production gloves are made from softer materials.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pork Chop
02-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Date: 01/20/04 06:43 PM
977 Total Posts Ignore User

Ouano Official UFC gloves
Now this is more like it.

The Ouano official UFC glove is on a much higher level then it’s poor inferior brother.

Ouano have gone back to the drawing board with this baby and managed to take the best aspects of the Harbinger and Boxergenic and even added their own touch of magic.

Ouano have stayed with their initial closed palm design but have changed some key aspects. Firstly Ouano have removed the leather that supported the thumb, now making it open like the Boxergenic, they have also cut a hole in the palm area which will help prevent slippery grip. This is something that was a problem with the Harbinger glove, this gives the glove a unique semi open design.

Ouano have also redesigned the wrist wrap for their new glove. The padding on the back of the hand has now been removed to allow the wrist wrap to lie more comfortable next to the wrist, (Some fighters prefer this padding and some do not its all down to your own preference.) The new wrist wrap is a little slimmer then the old one, although this is an improvement I still felt that the wrist wrap was a little uncomfortable, you will still need to tape these for long grappling sessions as the wrist wrap does have a tendency of coming undone.

The padding on the glove is a little on the thin side very similar to that of the old Ouano glove. The glove only weighs in at 4 oz’s so you can see that it’s a "Hardcore Glove" meaning that you are not going to like being hit with these babies. The leather that the glove is made out of is very good, it breaks in quickly and lasts for a long time it’s also very soft and comfortable to wear.

Pros: The glove is comfortable and light. The leather breaks in very quickly and will last for some while. The gloves come in four sizes from S-XL and come in two colours, Black = UFC, Yellow = King of the Cage.

Cons: The wrist wrap is still a little uncomfortable and the padding is on the thin side, you will look like John Mericks long lost brother after training with these, just look at the guys in the UFC :o)

Overall : A huge improvement on Ouano’s original glove. The glove is comfortable and hardwearing and not as expensive as people think. This Glove is the official glove of both the UFC and King of the Cage, which I think speaks for itself, these guys are not going to endorse a shabby product. The padding does not make these the best gloves for training with but as competion gloves go, you will be hard pressed to find a better glove than this.

Design: 8.5/10

Quality: 9/10

Value for money: 8/10

Overall: 8.5/10

You can buy these gloves online at www.Ouano.com the website has all the information you require including a sizing chart. Gloves cost $60, which isn’t that much for an official UFC licensed Product

Pork Chop
02-03-2004, 08:28 AM
Date: 01/20/04 06:44 PM
978 Total Posts Ignore User

RINGS Holland
These use to be the official glove used by Ring’s Holland, I’m not sure if they still use them though.

This is essentially a modified version of the original Ronin glove.

The glove has the same leather coated padding as the Ronin but this is now situated on top of leather closed palm glove similar to that of the Quality glove. Ronin have also done away with the padded thumb section, this allows for a better movement of the hand and also cuts down on the bulkiness of the previous glove.

Ronin have also done away with the lace up style wrist fastening system and have now gone with the basic style Velcro wrist wrap.

Pros: This glove has the same pros as the standard Ronin glove. It is excellent for both bag work and sparring, striking practice is excellent while wearing this glove.

The new design is less bulky and is slightly better for grappling. Ronin have seen sense and done away with the awful thumb padding so no more crab claw nonsense.

The gloves come in two colours black and red.

Cons: Unfortunately the glove also has the same draw backs as the standard Ronin glove.

The glove is bulky and hard to grip so it’s pretty poor for grappling and competition use.

The stitching which holds the padding to the glove is of quite a poor quality, I get the feeling that if someone pulled the padding during a training session you could be left with just a pair of leather bike gloves.

These gloves are hard to find. The pair that I’m reviewing was bought at a UK Total Fight Forum event run by Mr. Lee Hasdell, I haven’t seen these gloves on sale anywhere else. These gloves also come in only two sizes, L and XL so be careful when ordering.

Overall : The Rings Holland glove is a slight improvement over the original Ronin glove.

The glove is less bulky and is a much better fit. Unfortunately this glove is still too big for practical MMA use. It is encouraging to see that Ronin have tried to improve on their original design, this is something that other manufacturers need to look at, Unfortunately I feel that Ronin need to go back to the drawing board again if they wish to produce a practical MMA glove.

Design: 6/10 Quality: 5/10 Value for money: 6/10 Overall: 6/10 You can get these gloves at www.aiki-budo.nl

Gloves cost around £35.00

Pork Chop
02-03-2004, 08:31 AM
Date: 01/20/04 06:44 PM
979 Total Posts Ignore User

Ronin
These were the original gloves used by the UK’s TotalFight Forum who are an association with Ring’s Japan.

The Ronin glove design has been based on the same glove that was used in the 1994 and 1995 Japan Vale Tudo events. If you have seen the documentary Choke you will remember Todd Hayes taking the **** out of them, "What are we going to do, have a pillow fight."

This is without a doubt the biggest MMA glove available on the market.

The glove is basically a big piece of leather coated padding, (similar to a boxing glove), with finger loops attached to it, this gives the glove an open palm design. The thumb area is a separate piece of padding also with a finger loop attached , this does make the glove resemble a crabs claw.

The glove comes in two different styles the difference being how the glove is attached to the wrist. One style is lace up, again like that of a boxing glove, and the other is a standard Velcro strap which wraps once around the wrist.

Pros: This glove is excellent for striking, the huge amount of padding ensures that your partner doesn’t go home a bloody mess and that you don’t go home with a broken hand.

Although the gloves don’t look too sturdy I have had my pair for over three years and I’m still using them, they have stood the test of time surprisingly well.

The two different styles of wrist fastening* are a welcome change and the gloves come in red and black.

Cons: Due to the size of the glove it does make grappling very difficult, It’s nearly impossible to sink a rear naked or a guillotine choke on your opponent when wearing these gloves.

Although the lace up fastening is a unique feature it’s not that practical, you will need to tape this up or your partner will be complaining about the whip that they get off them.

The Velcro fastening gloves also have a knack of falling off during ground work which can be a real pain in the arse.

The Ronin gloves only come in two sizes L and XL so if you’re like me and have quite small hands you could be out of luck.

Overall : I have used this glove a lot in the past and have found them second to none for stand up training but unfortunately that’s where the gloves usefulness ends.

The bulkiness of this glove is just too impractical for grappling or competition use.

Try before you buy.

Design: 5/10 Quality: 5/10 Value for money: 5/10 Overall: 5/10 You may have trouble getting hold of these gloves, I bought them over three years ago from a British firm who were stocking Vale Tudo gear you can check out their web site at www.Ryea.com you should be able to get contact information here. Gloves cost around £40.

* Note: Ryea have now modified the Ronin gloves slightly and they now feature an velcro & elastic closure (very similar to RINGS Holland & MAR), over the laces.

Pork Chop
02-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Date: 01/20/04 06:45 PM
980 Total Posts Ignore User

Al’s Gym Leather Grappling Gloves
A new twist on this Harbinger clone.

Well we’ve all seen the Harbinger clones being sold for ridiculous amounts, there were the Chuck Norris bag gloves and the Century glove to name but a few, although they looked like Harbingers the quality was not quite there.

Well now we have a new clone on the market, but instead of using the same clone design and renaming it, Al has made some minor changes which could put his glove up their with the best of them.

First off there is no palm bar to take out so you can use these bad boys as soon as you get them.

The glove has the same closed palm splayed finger design as the Harbinger and has a similar three sectioned padding, however the padding on the back of the wrist has been turned vertical instead of horizontal, which I find more comfortable, it makes the glove less bulky. The wrist wrap has been modified and is more similar to the official Ouano UFC gloves then the old Harb’s which some people will like, (many people who like the Harb’s say they don’t like the extensive wrist wrap, these gloves solve that problem). However you all know my views on chunky wrist wraps :o(

Many of the Harbinger clones were made from tough leather, this was great for the longevity of the glove but not so good for the longevity of your sparring partners face. Al’s glove has gone for a more softer approach, the leather breaks in really quickly and although it’s not of the same standard as the Harb's it definitely beats all the other clones on the market. The padding of the glove is pretty much the same as that f the Harb’s and the glove on the whole is very comfortable to wear.

Pros: At £30 the gloves are pretty cheap. The quality is very good and the gloves are very comfortable to wear. The gloves are also pretty light and not that chunky, this gives you a very good grappling experience. There are three sizes available S-L.

Cons: Although some may find the wrist wrap an improvement you will still need to secure it with some tape to prevent it unravelling. I would also like to see these gloves with the thumb leather removed as I find the enclosed thumb can be a little too slippery, a minor niggle.

Overall: As Harbinger clones go this is the best, I’m not really giving as much credit as I should because this is so much more then just another clone. The padding is good, the glove is comfortable and they are not over priced, nuff said. The quality of the glove is not quite the same as the Harbingers, the Harb’s are soft and comfortable and fit the hand almost perfectly but these are cheaper and a great addition to your training gear.

Design: 8.5/10

Quality: 8.5/10

Value for money: 10/10

Overall: 9/10

You can buy Al’s Gym leather grappling gloves online at www.Alsgym.co.uk cost £29.99 and worth every penny. See also SFUK's review

Pork Chop
02-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Date: 01/20/04 06:46 PM
981 Total Posts Ignore User

Ringside grappling/speed bag glove
As regular readers of these reviews will know, originally I thought this was a speed bag glove but on further inspection to the Ringside website I can tell you that this is their official grappling glove.

Essentially the ringside glove is a copy of the UFC glove it has the same semi open palm design. The same splayed finger padding and the same style wrist wrap. However the quality of the leather is not up to the same standard as the Ouano original, the stitching looks OK but the leather feels like it will rip if pulled to hard. The glove also does not fit as well as the Ouano, the ends of the fingers are a little baggy.

I was quite surprised by the padding on the glove when it first arrived, there seemed to be a lot more then that of the UFC glove. On further inspection I noticed that it was also rock hard, not sure what foam they use inside but I can tell you that it feels like a sheet of thick cardboard, great for hitting inanimate objects but not so great on skin and bone.

Pros: At just under $30 these are not that expensive. The glove comes in two sizes, Regular and Large.

Cons: The glove feels as cheap as it costs, the padding is rock hard, as a test I got a friend to punch me in the legs one leg with the glove on a one leg bare knuckle, Bare knuckle didn't hurt as much, these are seriously "Hardcore" gloves.

Overall: A cheap imitation of a popular glove, in this case you defiantly get what you pay for, Not an awful glove but there is so much better on the market. This one is definitely one for the hardcore fighter, this glove will severely damage your looks, not one for pretty boys.

Design: 5/10

Quality: 5/10

Value for money: 6.5/10

Overall: 5.5/10

You can buy the Ringside speed bag glove at http://www.ringside.com. The usual cost is $34.99 but if you hurry they are currently in the sale for $29.99. Reviewed April 2003

Pork Chop
02-03-2004, 08:34 AM
Date: 01/20/04 06:46 PM
982 Total Posts Ignore User

Rogue MMA Gloves
Review by Ross Petifer

10 September 2003

From MLSports

The official gloves of Ultimate Combat, and what a good choice Dale Adams and Combat Sports Promotions made. From the first glimpse i got of these gloves as my buddy Andy brought them around, i was impressed, neatly packaged and looking sharp. I got the yellow version (big kotc fan) and they look very good, not tacky looking at all. I put them on and realized they are slightly smaller than the UFC's Ouano's, ( I bought size medium in the rogue's and in ouano's). Dales Adam's Mlsports has worked closely with another company, to get the gloves he's happy with for his show and to sell via his company found at www.mlsports.co.uk.

These gloves are slightly smaller in size than the ouanos and the harbingers. the padding on the hand has been adapted and modified from the ouanos and made to be anatomically correct to fit the hand, unlike the bulk square of the ouanos. They will stretch and mould to your hands the more you wear them, so even if they feel a little tight at first they'll end up fitting good. But if they are too tight send them back and exchange them, because you are going to want a pair of these gloves.

The padding fits the knuckles well and gives safe and strong padding without crappy bulky padding. the fingers feel a little tight but that could be because i got the wrong size, or just because they were sewn tightly, this is the same as my ouanos, which became looser and better fitting with wear. The colors will leave light staining on your hands and in between fingers, but it washes off quite easily, and will only last for a short time, as after the first few wears the dye will stop running and it will stop staining your fingers, but as its easy to wash off for a few weeks its no problem.

The Wrist wrap fits well and the velcro is all in the right places, except for one bit, the first bit of velcro on the wrist wrap can cut into your wrist as its not fully covered by the glove when you do them up, not a major problem as most gloves do this and you get used to it/ rip it out/ tape it up depending on your preference.

The gloves are small enough to wrestle and work submissions in, yet safe enough to do light Gnp in, they feel great to box and hit pads in. Probably the best gloves i have seen, they are either on par or better than the ouanos. Overall a great glove for a great price. Good Job Mlsports and Ultimate Combat

Pork Chop
02-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Date: 01/20/04 06:48 PM
983 Total Posts Ignore User

Blitz MMA Gloves - First Impressions
Review by SFUK

22 May 2002

From Blitz £25, sizes S, M, L, XL

MMA in the UK must be looking up, when a company famous for making traditional martial arts gear jump onto the MMA bandwagon. Blitz have launched their Firepower range aimed at our sport, with gloves, "Pancreas" (sic) shin pads, shorts, grappling dummies etc.

The nice people at Blitz just sent us a pair. Here's a quick look at them before Pooch takes them down the gym and gives them a battering for his Glove Road Test.

"MMA Thumbless Gloves"

DESIGN

Basically another Harbinger clone. This time without thumbs and of course the palm bar. The Blitz gloves look like the offspring from a coupling of Ouano's UFC gloves & a pair of Harbingers - which is a Good Thing.

Wrist wraps - I much prefer the Boxergenics/Kikskin style wrap, but they've done a good job on these. Generous servings of velcro keep them well in place.

Blitz also get a big thumbs up for offering a good range of sizes, which vastly helps you pick the right size.

Nit - picking - The huge label (slightly too big for the wrist wrap) is clumpy & ugly IMO (cool name - dodgey graphics), but hey that's subjective and doesn't effect performance.

QUALITY

Hmmm, a bit mixed. Either the design is slightly off or the sewing tolarances in the QC process are a bit iffy. For example the pinkie finger on one glove is significantly wider than the other fingers when, if anything, it should be the smallest (see pic) . There's jagged edges on the leather, inconsistent seam widths, - basically the excess leather & velcro is trimmed poorly .

General fit and finish isn't as refined as say, the slighty dearer Al's Gym glove, and certainly not up to the standard of the more expensive glove offerings from other companies. None of this will effect performance very much, but the details do reflect the differences between the Blitz gloves and more expensive offerings.

If a company like Harbinger, Kikskin or Twins had made these then they would be challenging for top honours....or maybe Blitz can up the quality and keep the price low *hint* ;+)

GRAPPLING

These should work very well indeed. Make sure you choose the right size so they are good and snug.

HAND PROTECTION & OPPONENT PROTECTION

Just right. Excellent in fact. Thicker than the UFC gloves & Boxergenics. Look forward to seeing how the padding holds up to Pooch's abuse.

HOW DO THEY COMPARE

Alright, you get what you pay for, lets make it clear, if you are looking for the best gloves money can buy then look elsewhere. However, Blitz have been canny with the pricing. At £25 (and even cheaper for instructors/trade), these gloves are priced to move. They handily undercut Harbingers & Ouano's and yet are far better than cheap gloves like the QMA M.A.R.

CONCLUSION

A great design concept. Thumbless Harbingers - you can't go wrong. And with that great price, you should be able to live with the OK quality. These should serve you as a thoroughly good workhorse. IMO Blitz has a winner. Pooch will have the final say.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Postscript : Email from Blitz in response to the review - 23 May 2003
Here is the gist of the email:

"Thanks for the Blitz review... just to let you know that improvements on the gloves are being made as we speak. This involves, decreasing the size of the pinky finger, keeping a constant flow on the stitching quality, etc etc........ The price will still be the same.... and the different colours and sizes will still be available. This glove at the moment is being marketed as the middle of the range glove for Blitz. By the beginning of August we hope to have our top of the range MMA gloves out on the market competing with the best of them...In price as well. Basically what we have done for this glove is taken all of Pooch's Pro's and Con's on his reviews into cons! We have also added a few parts on it which I hope will revolutionise and set a high level forcing other gloves to reach... But I'll let you be the judge of that."

Pork Chop
02-03-2004, 08:56 AM
For other brands a good website is:
http://sfuk.tripod.com/sfukreviews.html

Specifically:
http://sfuk.tripod.com/reviews/poochgloves.html

Various comments on other brands:

Kagi- the official Shooto glove, lots of padding for striking, apparently some complaints about the wrist straps.

Twins- 2 types: 1 thicker like shooto, the other very similar to Fairtex. Twins makes great stuff.

TXMMA - just as good as Ouanos but lower priced; inexpensive and sturdy.

Konitica

Shooto

Harbingers - the original and still high quality

BOXERGENICS

FAIRTEX - good, thin glove; one of the hardest hitting gloves in MMA.

Showdown gloves - another standard for UFC. gloves made by these companies have better support through the fingers and don't open up during grappling at the sides. Good bang for the buck without giving up quality.

Hunter -

I just got some really heavy Macho gloves. Feels like a soft tire tread instead of padding. They're heavy too, probably a good 10oz.

IronFist
02-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks dude. Do you have the url to those reviews?

Also, what do you think of the blue ones I linked to at the top of this page? They're only $30.

Pork Chop
02-03-2004, 12:55 PM
The big reviews looked straight from that sfuk.tripod.com site. I actually got them from an old UG post, but they're from that site. The site has more reviews now.

The macho gloves I got are cardio gloves I think. The padding is apparently "gel". Feels kinda like one of those ergo keyboard or mouse pads. Imagine getting nailed by that.

Your link looks like an Ouano clone to me. They might be good.
That website I listed has pictures of all the gloves they review. Might be worth checking out. I personally think Shooto gloves are the way to go for training- more padding. Up to you. I'll try to find more reviews in the mean time.

IronFist
02-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Yeah I found the site with pictures here (http://sfuk.tripod.com/reviews/poochgloves.html). I just randomly found it while searching for "Ultimate MMA Gloves," which are the ones I linked to at the top.

Pork Chop
02-03-2004, 01:18 PM
I'd rather use boxing gloves in mma type sparring than any of the aforementioned gloves, but that's just me err and bmore sanshou. :)

Golden Arms
02-03-2004, 01:42 PM
RTB. looks like we will continue to know the seemingly best kept secret while the rest of the worlds sleeps on it...It must be a puget sound thing.

rubthebuddha
02-03-2004, 04:14 PM
maybe the smells from tacoma and everett have given us some sort of super-insight? :D

IronFist
02-03-2004, 10:20 PM
Those blue gloves that I linked to, two people in my class have them (except theirs have an SBGI logo stitched on them), but other than that they're the same glove. Pretty nice. I think I'm going to get some.

Except I think it will be weird fighting without a thumb sleeve.

edit - Here's the gloves the people in my class have. Link (http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=1918186&showprevnext=1). Haha, yeah right! $65 my arse! It's only $55 for members, plust 20% off which makes it $44, but still. Wow, that must be an expensive SBGI patch on there. I think I will buy the plain ones for $30.

Pork Chop
02-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Golden arms
I have a pair of harbingers; I like 'em but they feel a bit thin for daily training. Nice gloves tho.

MasterKiller
02-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by BMore Banga
I'd rather use boxing gloves in mma type sparring than any of the aforementioned gloves, but that's just me err and bmore sanshou. :) You don't find boxing gloves cumbersome or clumsy for grappling?

Pork Chop
02-05-2004, 09:59 AM
I've gotten off armbars with gloves if that's what you mean.
Otherwise, my grappling knowledge & ability are not worth mentioning.

MasterKiller
02-05-2004, 10:01 AM
I just don't see how you can setup a lot of throws or break someone else's attempts while wearing boxing gloves. If you are in a MMA format, it seems to me that would be a concern.

Shaolinlueb
02-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by IronFist

Those look cool. If I was a good fighter I'd get the green ones :D

Have you used those? How is the padding? Does the strap come undone while training (like if you brush across an opponent or some similar motion)?

edit- also, there's a thin strip of leather between the palm and the thumb. Is that pretty tough or will it rip easily?

Thanks.

Nah I have never used them. I just know the association and some people i work with do business with them.

Pork Chop
02-05-2004, 10:02 AM
San Shou people tend to be somewhat decent at throws with the gloves on... gawd knows I been hip thrown a good number of times with gloves and with out.

Golden Arms
02-05-2004, 02:15 PM
BmoreBanga,

About the gloves. Yeah, they are semi thin..but the most they will leave you with is a black eye or two...if you want to practice hard contact fighting they give you a good indicator of what its going to be like without breaking the skin or anyones hands..but also without absorbing too much shock from the hits. I have sparred pretty hard with em several times...you just concede that you are going to have a shiner afterwords or some sore ribs, but in exchange you get to work on more techniques..such is life.

RTB: It is the smell that imparts supernatural powers of glove finding skill.