PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Style Bow?

Ao Qin
02-01-2004, 08:31 PM
I'm wondering if anyone (particularly Dragoners of course), would be willing to share what they have been taught about the symbolism & metaphor of the Dragon style bow. It contains quite a few movements in comparison to other arts - why did the founder establish these particular movements as a start to nearly all of the forms?

Cheers - Ao Qin

Yum Cha
02-01-2004, 10:35 PM
Hi Ao Qin,

Perhaps you could start the discussion by detailing what you consider the dragon bow, and what elements thereof you find interesting.

Our Pak Mei has some elements of dragon in it, so I may be able to add something once I know your point of view.

mantis108
02-02-2004, 03:18 PM
The Dragon Style bow as far as I understand is that it is similar to other Southern Shaolin affiliated styles. It has the left palm (sun radical) and right fist (moon radical) formation forming the Chinese character "Ming". The stepping pattern is first right then left forming a zig zag pattern with the footwork which is signature pattern to Dragon Style as if a dragon would travel through the sky. This bowing with the footwork is also paying homage to the audience and the Sifus (particularly those who went before us in the Dragon style). Depending on the status of the performer, a junior stylist with a junior form will open the form to the left side after the bow. A senior stylist might chose to open the form from the middle after the bow. The shape of the palm also vary. Quite a lot of people go with a straight palm. Some people do a palm wrapping the fist as if the dragon's claw on the ball. The way that I was shown is to have the palm slightly apart from the fist. As one present the bow, the ging is released through the palm and one's Kung is shown though it. A good Dragoner will be able to tell a lot about him/herself through just the bow.

Warm regards

Mantis108