PDA

View Full Version : TCM Concepts: The Spleen

woliveri
02-04-2001, 06:02 AM
From what I understand, the spleen in TCM is not refering to the organ itself but to a function of the digestive system. That is, the transformation of Food into Qi and transportation of that Qi around the body. I have read that if the Stomach (yang organ) and Spleen (it's yin counterpart) are healthy then prognosis is good. Can anyone more educated than I correct (if I am wrong) and/or expand on this?

Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East
By Baird T. Spalding

Chris McKinley
02-04-2001, 08:34 PM
Hi woliveri,

Your statements are accurate if a bit general. However, I would ask, "prognosis for WHAT is good?" Certainly, a balance in the earth elements doesn't preclude the possibility of imbalance elsewhere. For example, prognosis for lower spine subluxation would not be particularly favorable if Kidney Jing is weak, even if Stomach/Spleen are in relative balance.

Generally speaking, balance between any of the paired meridians of any element is desired. There should be further balance between that pair and the other pairs as well, however. This is where we get into the various Mother/Son/Grandson/Grandmother relationships of the Wu Xing, or Five Elements

woliveri
02-04-2001, 11:44 PM
Hi Chris,
Well, consider your example above of Kidney Jing is weak. If the stomach and spleen is strong as opposed to being very weak, wouldn't it take much less time to replinish Kidney Jing when the stomach and spleen is strong? After all, the stomach and spleen are the source of post heavenly jing, is this correct?

By Baird T. Spalding

Chris McKinley
02-05-2001, 01:21 AM
If the earth elements are balanced, it will have an impact on how easily other imbalances can be corrected. But then again, so will a balanced pair of any other element. As for earth being the source of post-heaven jing, this is a slightly misleading question. The source is the qi itself from which the jing is condensed. The earth meridians do the condensing, so yeah...if they're working properly, they can do their job more quickly and effectively. However, simply having them balanced won't help much if the problem exists on another meridian entirely, even though the system is interdependent.

Post-heaven qi, the source of jing, comes from a variety of sources. Food, water, herbs, air, contact with others, etc. Specific diagnosis is still the best way to go when dealing with any imbalance. Does that mean one shouldn't worry about balancing the earth element? Of course not. Just as one shouldn't neglect balancing ANY of the elements or the strange flows

woliveri
02-05-2001, 09:51 PM
Hi Chris,

You wrote: "The source is the qi itself from which the jing is condensed."

I don't understand this. Could you expand? How do the earth meridians condense qi into jing?

thanks
bill

By Baird T. Spalding

Chris McKinley
02-06-2001, 06:42 AM
Hey bill,

There is a descending continuum between shen (spirit), qi (energy), jing (essence), and blood. Each condenses into the next in turn. The earth element is said to be responsible for condensing post-heaven qi into jing to be used by the body.