PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Stances and BJJ

Dragon Warrior
02-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Since I have been training in BJJ, I use my stance work from shaolin a lot, and have a better understanding of why it is taught.

I am usually using my stance work when passing the guard. I will usually stand up and utilize techniques i have learned in my bjj class. Interestingly, most of my footwork is from shaolin, and I always employ it when standing and passing. Learning, developing and training my shaolin stance work has given me a huge head start in my grappling training.

Actually, shaolin stances and footwork is so useful when grappling, I trully believe they were developed and intended to be used when on top of your opponent.

Gangsterfist
02-03-2004, 01:00 PM
By shaolin stance work, do you mean basic kung fu stance? Like horse stance, cat stance, bow and arrow stance, etc etc?

SifuAbel
02-03-2004, 01:19 PM
yes. Its just good rooting and good transitional footwork.

Dragon Warrior
02-03-2004, 03:26 PM
By shaolin stance work, do you mean basic kung fu stance? Like horse stance, cat stance, bow and arrow stance, etc etc?

Yes

Using deep stances when passing the guard keeps me centered with good posture as I attempt to pass. Going into deep stances keeps my opponent down, centering and good posture make me hard to sweep. So as I pass it is very hard for my opponent to attack me.

Also, one of my best positions when grappling is "knee on stomach," usually when i attain this position, my opponent has a very hard time escaping. I think this is because I have decent Shaolin stancework.

Gangsterfist
02-03-2004, 03:30 PM
So what you are saying is BJJ is nothing with out kung fu stance work?

LOL just kidding I could not resist.

Dragon Warrior
02-03-2004, 03:34 PM
lol,

Of course not

Im just saying that it has given me a headstart.

And I want to make the point that stance practice not only helps with stand up fighting, but also groundfighting

Before I get yelled at for saying stancework helps with stand up
here is how

Flexibility
Strength
stamina
balance

This can all be obtained from practicing forms and stancework.