PDA

View Full Version : training questions

dodger87
02-03-2004, 04:47 AM
Hello, im new to these forums and i just had some questions. This is how i train each day (well when im not busy with homework):

arms: chinups (i grip on to the bar with my hands on the outside then swap and grip on the bar with my hands on the inside), chest pushups (i place both hands directly underneath my chest then go as low as possible to the ground without touching it), knuckle pushups, handstand pushups (i balance by leaning my feet on my wall), handstands (walk on my hands across the room and try to balance on my way), finger pushups (i do it with all five fingers then swap to just two fingers), one hand pushups on each arm, i dont know if v-holds count as training the arms but you gotta hold yourself on two ledges with your arms, i was thinking of getting this neat little wheel where i kneel on the ground and hold the wheel with both arms and roll as far as possible without my body touching the ground and then try and pull myself back up. and i also punch my boxing bag a lot.

legs: horse stances, this squatting thing where i squat on the ground and put both arms behind my back and just jump up and down in the same position, i also kick my boxing bag alot and practice my kicks (side kick, front kick) in slow motion, like really slow. and my cousin who did shaolin for two years taught me this sitting thingo where i spread my legs around 2 feet and then sit down with my knees touching the floor but my feet directly sideways on the ground, its suppose to make my legs more flexible or something, and theres this other thing where i stand straight and really slowly lift my legs sideways upwards until it is directly horizontal, i think it trains the hips as well im not sure, and i skip with one leg at a time, i think it makes you feel lighter on your feet, like more balance or something, i read it from this bruce lee book.

abs: situps (i think most people bend their knees and do this, but i just leave mine flat on the ground without anything holding on to it and curve my toes towards my head and when i come up i try to press my head on to my knees, can almost do that), v-holds (where u get two chairs and put it parralel to each other, then you lift urself up with the two chairs and lift both your legs up till it is horizontal and try and hold it there for as long as you can.).

flexibility: that stretching thingo where i stand straight with my feet together and grab my heels and put my head on my knees, splits.

fitness: running around my suburb, skipping, and shadow boxing.
i think thats it.

i just wanted to ask you guys which exercises might not be good for me, some people said that squatting exercise i do could lead to knee injuries. and if any of you could suggest any new exercises for me to do, and can you also explain them, because some of you use nicknames i am not fimiliar with.

i also see that alot of you people use weights to train, i was just curious about this, but doesnt using weights build up your muscles rather than train your joints so you won't be able to attack or move as fast. i just thought throwing your weight around was better. also i heard weights can stunt ur growth, hrmm.. i think thats mainly because i'm 16-17 and still growing.

thanks in advance!

rubthebuddha
02-03-2004, 11:36 AM
since you're not quite old enough to vote, sticking with your basic body-weight exercises isn't a bad thing. however, don't be misinformed about weightlifting -- it can and, for most folks, IS a big benefit to training.

a lot of your exercises are good, but some are questionable. the straight-legged situp has been discussed several times over -- do a search on this forum for the threads. and for that leg exercise you mentioned where you start with your legs two feet apart ... can you give us some more detail, because i can't picture that exercise in my head quite yet.

IronFist
02-03-2004, 12:25 PM
Here are some things that popped in my mind as I read your post.

arms: chinups (i grip on to the bar with my hands on the outside then swap and grip on the bar with my hands on the inside),

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that, but here is how to make sure you're doing chinups right:

If you're gripping the bar so that your hands are narrower than shoulder width, have your palms facing you. If you're gripping it so that your hands are wider than shoulder width, have your palms facing away from you. The motion should be very comfortable and there should be NO strain on your wrists at all.

Keep up the ability to do chin ups. Most people can't even do one.

chest pushups (i place both hands directly underneath my chest then go as low as possible to the ground without touching it),

We usually call those "diamond pushups" since the space between your hands (when your index finger and thumb are touching) looks like a diamond. They work your triceps more than "standard" pushups with you hands shoulder width or wider apart.

handstand pushups (i balance by leaning my feet on my wall),

Good job. A lot of people can't do those. Handstand pushups is primarily an anterior deltoid (front shoulder) exercise.

i dont know if v-holds count as training the arms but you gotta hold yourself on two ledges with your arms,

Yeah, it's like static (not-moving) contractions for the arms. It's more an ab exercise, but you knew that already.

i was thinking of getting this neat little wheel where i kneel on the ground and hold the wheel with both arms and roll as far as possible without my body touching the ground and then try and pull myself back up.

An ab-wheel :D Those are cool. If you get one, make sure you don't spend more than about $10 on it. Go to Champs or wherever and buy their cheap one. Some companies make ones that are like $30-40 and they're exactly the same as the cheaper ones. When you get good you can do it from your feet instead of your knees. It's tough.

this squatting thing where i squat on the ground and put both arms behind my back and just jump up and down in the same position,

Interesting. You might want to look into Hindu Squats and pistols (one legged squats)

this sitting thingo where i spread my legs around 2 feet and then sit down with my knees touching the floor but my feet directly sideways on the ground, its suppose to make my legs more flexible or something,

Sounds pretty bad.

abs: situps (i think most people bend their knees and do this, but i just leave mine flat on the ground

Bend your knees :)

i just wanted to ask you guys which exercises might not be good for me, some people said that squatting exercise i do could lead to knee injuries.

Any kind of squatting, if done properly, is good for your knees :)

and if any of you could suggest any new exercises for me to do, and can you also explain them, because some of you use nicknames i am not fimiliar with.

What are your goals?

but doesnt using weights build up your muscles rather than train your joints so you won't be able to attack or move as fast.

That's a common misconception. You can only develop big muscles if you train a certain way with weights. In addition to proper training, you also need to follow certain dietary principles. Remember that lifting weights does necessarily mean you're a bodybuilder.

It's also possible to train with weights so that you don't gain any weight, but still develop a lot of strength. To prove this, look at the 140lb Olympic lifters. They are stronger than most "weight lifters" will ever be, and yet they are tiny!

As for not being able to move fast, that's pretty much a myth. Some olympic lifters (now I'm talking about the big, fat guys that you see on TV) have HUGE vertical jumps due to the explosive nature of their lifts. Think about how fast a 300lb person would have to be to have a 36" vertical jump.

It's all based on your training. As long as you keep up your martial arts practice, weight lifting won't hinder your speed or flexibility or anything at all.

But you probably shouldn't mess around with weights until you're 18 and you've been done growing for a while. Just to be safe.

redtornado
02-03-2004, 12:28 PM
This is where I'm at!!!!
wake up do 15 min. Warm up streching out the body.
-Staring with my shoulders then neck arms, chest, waist, legs, feet.
but i need to go so i will be back to fill in more! Cool.

dodger87
02-04-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
and for that leg exercise you mentioned where you start with your legs two feet apart ... can you give us some more detail, because i can't picture that exercise in my head quite yet.

well first i stand up straight and make my feet into a v-shape pointing outwards with my heels connecting, and then i shift weight onto my toes and point my heels outwards with my toes pointing inwards (beginners at horse stances usually do this type of measurement to see how far they should position their feet when they do it) and then i point my toes outwards again but this time my feet are horizontal with my toes pointing out in each direction and then i slowly sit down without moving my feet at all with my knees and bottom pressing on to the ground. its feels like doing the splits because it hurts near the groin area.

and as for the situps with bending knees, i find that when i keep my legs straight it also stretches my hamstring (which is good right?) but what is the advantage of doing it with ur knees bent over this one when you leave your legs straight on the ground.

oops forgot to mention my goals, well its basically to become a good fighter (self-defense) i want to be able to punch and kick with speed and power.