PDA

View Full Version : updates (again)

apoweyn
02-04-2004, 12:52 PM
New video clip on the website. New and mildly embarrassing. But if I only put up clips that made me look cool, I'd have much more web space available than I do.

:)

rubthebuddha
02-04-2004, 03:04 PM
thanks for the update. now remember, just because you may have taken more than you gave, that doesn't preclude you from evening things out by saying, "but merry smelled so strongly of fruitcake and whoppers that i couldn't come near him," or other such detail that we wouldn't know simply as viewers. as mom once taught us all, "if you can't make yourself look good, make everyone better than us look as bad as we do." :)

red5angel
02-04-2004, 03:43 PM
I especially like the part where NAGA champion Merryprankster shows himself to be such a bad a$$ at grappling that he almost takes himself down on the side of the ring!!! ;)

The knife disarming stuff looks good man. It flows real nice, looks like you could apply it in the real world even :)

rubthebuddha
02-04-2004, 04:11 PM
the knife-stuff was more what i was talking about in that other thread. you move better without the protective gear -- nice and fluid. however, once the gear is on, it looks a bit more awkward (a lighter side of what happens with me: downright clumsy).

i'm gonna go out to visit my brother and his wife in maryland (lusby -- they told me when they moved that they were becoming lusbians ...) later this year, and i'm gonna have to steal a car for a day and come out for at least a margarita with you folks.

wushu chik
02-04-2004, 05:49 PM
the vids look good Ap...

I have a few vids i'd LOVE to put on my site...just can't figure it out YET...i'm getting there...but they won't work right!!!

~Wen~

Xebsball
02-04-2004, 06:59 PM
hey man, tell Merry that his boxing has some xing yi in it
diferences being the back foot (the brake) and the fist position (horizontal vs vertical). caught my eye cos most boxers i seen dont use those mechanics.

Merryprankster
02-04-2004, 08:38 PM
The problem is your Xing Yi has boxing in it.

Yeah yeah Red, LOL! :D

Xebsball
02-04-2004, 08:47 PM
i do not have xing yi anymore
all left to me is a "xebb yi"

and here is belfort vs couture
http://www3.ibirapuera.br/novo/145248575/vitorbelfortwin.wmv

"WHERE MINSC GOES, EVIL STANDS ASIDE!!"

apoweyn
02-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
the knife-stuff was more what i was talking about in that other thread. you move better without the protective gear -- nice and fluid. however, once the gear is on, it looks a bit more awkward (a lighter side of what happens with me: downright clumsy).

Yeah, I was relatively pleased with the level of control over the knife when it came to the parrying. But when we got to the disarms and takedowns, they could have been worlds smoother. Ah well. Under construction, I suppose.

i'm gonna go out to visit my brother and his wife in maryland (lusby -- they told me when they moved that they were becoming lusbians ...) later this year, and i'm gonna have to steal a car for a day and come out for at least a margarita with you folks.

I'd not heard of Lusby before, so I just did a quick bit of research. It's in Southern Maryland, not far from where I went to college. Calvert County. We could definitely work something out when the time comes. Be good to meet ya.

Stuart B.

p.s. Merryprankster smells exactly like haddock. And if you saw him without headgear on, you'd see that he actually suffers from "cauliflower head."

I lie.

apoweyn
02-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
The knife disarming stuff looks good man. It flows real nice, looks like you could apply it in the real world even :)

Our teachers were always good about making us do 'freestyle.' So we don't know what the angles or attacks are going to be. We just had to figure it out as we went. The result was often pretty ugly, but I have a higher degree of faith in the results than I would if they were more choreographed.

I guess that goes without saying.

apoweyn
02-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by wushu chik
the vids look good Ap...

I have a few vids i'd LOVE to put on my site...just can't figure it out YET...i'm getting there...but they won't work right!!!

~Wen~

Hey thanks wushu chik.

I'm no expert at the technology stuff. I know enough to put together a website. But if you're having trouble with video, Shadowboxer seems to know what he's on about. You may want to try dropping him a PM and asking for his advice.

red5angel
02-05-2004, 08:32 AM
I like the way you guys are doing those drills. If I ever get around to some serious knife disarm drilling I will have to keep it in mind.

apoweyn
02-05-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
I like the way you guys are doing those drills. If I ever get around to some serious knife disarm drilling I will have to keep it in mind.

Get a wooden (or rubber) dagger and run through the angles at random. That's pretty much the extent of it.

I know a few different knife disarms. But really and truly, it's more about the parrying and controlling to get it into position. After that, I probably used the same basic disarm every time. Control the wrist and peel the knife out.

And then some half arsed takedown. :rolleyes:

rubthebuddha
02-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Merryprankster smells exactly like haddock. maybe he's been genetically engineered (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4160846/) to be high in essentail fatty acids? :confused:

apoweyn
02-05-2004, 09:57 AM
I think he's been genetically engineered to be high in STANK.

Stuart 'quietly waiting for a well-deserved pummeling' B.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-05-2004, 11:38 AM
that wasn't too bad at all man.

very good way to drill.

apoweyn
02-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Thanks GDA. I have to credit that school with giving me a really good base to work from, even if I'm not thrilled with the particulars of that performance.