PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go Rock Climbing???

wushu chik
02-04-2004, 06:15 PM
Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone rock climbs on here. I'm looking at taking my 6 year old and myself to a rock climbing gym here in Portland, and was wondering if anyone did it....

Considering the fact that my 6 year old climbs everything that will hold him...is this a pretty safe thing for him to do?

I've never done it, but it looks like a blast. Here's the link....Portland Rock Gym (http://www.portlandrockgym.com)

Thanks,
Wen

SifuAbel
02-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Indoor climbing gyms are pretty cool. Make sure they have good equipment. If they have a gree-gree(a self locking belay device) on the rope, its pretty much fool proof. I'd suggest you take a class first.

wushu chik
02-04-2004, 06:22 PM
They do have classes, and they have some for the littler kids as well....I'm mainly concerned with ...is it a hot idea to take a 6 year old LOL?? I'm not so much concerned with him getting hurt..i'm talking like physically wise...he's already a brick ****house when it comes to muscles and strength...

SifuAbel
02-04-2004, 06:22 PM
The gym looks good.

redo the link , it won't work as is.

wushu chik
02-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Thanks,
Got it!!!

SifuAbel
02-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Like I said, its about the right gear. If they have good belay devices and you make sure he knows how to sit in a harness then its a kids paradise.

Royal Dragon
02-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Back when I was young, invincible, and stupid, I used to free climb sand stone. I took my daughter up on the easy ones when she was just 6. We went pretty high, but it was a really rough wall, with lots of large hand holds, steps and such. It was more like climbing a twisty set of stairs.

I did some dangerious stuff though. Including scaling around a close to vertical, flat Sandstone wall with a verticl drop of about 25 feet straight down. I had to do it bare foot, to feel my grip.

I did another one that almost ended it all. I was way up on this wall, and made it to the top fine. On the way down, I slipped due to a miss footing, and fell about 10 feet to the shelf below, and almost off it it 50 feet to my demise I'm sure. After that, I could not bring myself to ever climb past that shelf.

Today, with having Gout, and my back messed up, I don't climb at all anymore. I might repel, or do something with safety lines some day, but I'll never freestyle again.

Knifefighter
02-04-2004, 07:20 PM
Most indoor climbing gyms will make you pass a basic belaying and safety course before you climb. If you are not knowledgeable about the basics, they will usually make you take a basic class before you are allowed to climb.

Climbing is great for kids. I builds confidence, balance, strength, and great functional fitness. Just make sure he takes lessons, as should you if you are planning to climb.

Ford Prefect
02-05-2004, 06:26 AM
KnifeFighter is correct. You may also want to look into bouldering. I've started that since it takes a lot less equipment and a lot smaller rocks...

IronFist
02-05-2004, 11:29 AM
I think Ka is a rock climber.

Oso
02-05-2004, 12:27 PM
WC, looks like a good place. They even have tai chi and aikido classes!

my only addition would be that I didn't see mention of helmets in the kids rules. I know purist climbers don't wear them but I would think that it would be mando for beginner kids.

but, I'm a caver and not a climber so that could be the mud in my blood talking. :)

should be a blast for you and your kid and you will appreciate the forearm pump you will get.

wushu chik
02-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks y'all!

The biggest thing I was concerned about was safety, and you've all eased my minds. He'll DEFINITELY be wearing a helmet while he's doing it, I don't care if it's manditory or not. It's a mom thing I guess ;)...

I'll let you all know what I find out when I go!

~Wen~

Meat Shake
02-05-2004, 02:40 PM
I love rock climbing... Havent gone in a couple of years though. Got in trouble for free climbing a 75 foot face at enchanted rock. Park rangers told me not to come back.

Royal Dragon
02-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I love climbing too. I'm defently going it do it again someday. I'll just never free climb again.