PDA

View Full Version : DIT-DA-JOW

sblano
02-09-2001, 05:50 AM
I have been making my own dit-da-jow from what i have been tough for sometime and i was wondering if my receipe is different from others on the market.
Below is the receipe, I would like to know if someone has same or a different one.

-1 bottle of strong vodka, gin or chinese rice wine
- Artemesia (Liu ji nu) - 5g
- Borneol (Bingpian) - 1g
- Carthamus (Honghua) - 5g
- Catechu (Ercha) - 8g
- Cinnabar (Zhusha) - 5g
- Cirsium (DaJi) - 1g
- Dragon's Blood (Xuejie) - 30g
- Mastic (Ruxiang) - 5g
- Musk (Shexiang) - 1g
- Myrrh (Moyao) - 5g
- Pinellia (ShengBanXia) - 5g
:eek: :eek:

JE
02-12-2001, 01:30 AM
Die Da Jiu has been a part of traditional Chinese martial arts for a very long time and there are probably as many formulas as there are systems or teachers. Each formula tends to be different based on the origins of each style. Practitioners from southern China used some different herbs that those from Northern China. Of course there is always some overlap as well. Sometimes some herbs were not easily available and so substitutes had to be found, over time the substitutes become the new standard and then there is a new formula. This new formula will be similar to the original but not the same.

Judging whether a formula is better or not requires know what it is going to be used for. If you have a formula that has many herbs to stop pain but you want to use the formula for treating a broken bone it will not be ideal. Likewise a formula to treat brusing must contain a certain percentage of blood quickening medicinals.

Your formula contains some very common herbs like Hong Hua, Xue Jie, Ru Xiang, and Mo Yao along with some herbs which are rarely used in die da jiu (Er Cha, Zhu Sha, She Xiang). It is not that these herbs cannot be used, just that they are lesson common among formulas.

Overall the formula rather different than most commerical products as it contains some rather strong toxic ingredients. Also She Xiang is outrageously expensive and almost impossible to find. Still the formula has a nice mix of herbs which promote circulation, relieve swelling, stop pain, and open the superficial layers of the body.

Hope the info helps,

Justin

-1 bottle of strong vodka, gin or chinese rice wine
- Artemesia (Liu ji nu) - 5g
- Borneol (Bingpian) - 1g
- Carthamus (Honghua) - 5g
- Catechu (Ercha) - 8g
- Cinnabar (Zhusha) - 5g
- Cirsium (DaJi) - 1g
- Dragon's Blood (Xuejie) - 30g
- Mastic (Ruxiang) - 5g
- Musk (Shexiang) - 1g