PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dave Chappell: Genius ???

Oso
02-04-2004, 08:45 PM
talk amongst yourselves...

rogue
02-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Too much beer again?

Oso
02-04-2004, 09:04 PM
no.

seriously...do you watch the show?

FTR, I vote 'Yes'.

He's poking fun at everyone therefore equalizing.

just my opinion of a damm funny man who has a point about all the BS that tends to keep us at odds with each other.

and, no, I didn't post this 'OT' topic without a point.;)

Ralphie
02-04-2004, 09:30 PM
I vote yes...Great satire. My favorite recent skit was the Africans standing and watching the slave ship coming for the first time, and him saying "Hey there's some white folks on that ship, you guys stay here, and I'll see what they want."

Vash
02-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Who is Dave Chappell?

Oso
02-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Vash: Comedy Central, Wed, 10:30 after SP

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-04-2004, 10:04 PM
when asked why he left his loving wife of 25 years, he replied .....

Oso
02-04-2004, 10:07 PM
lol, you're obviously more of a fan than i am as I don't know the answer.

but, I could have figured you would be. :)

CaptinPickAxe
02-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Pure genius...undoubtedly.

kungfu cowboy
02-04-2004, 10:32 PM
The answer is no.

Oso
02-04-2004, 10:37 PM
KFC ('scuse me while I ROAFLMAO): Why not?

Single Tiger
02-04-2004, 10:47 PM
As a Black male in this country i like to see other successful
Black people and to see a show like his on the air makes me
happy because it pushs the boundies of T.V without sparing anyone.
now haven said that calling him a genius
i cant say that i would know and have it
a fair answer.(sorry)

Oso
02-04-2004, 10:54 PM
ST: for me it is his 'sparing of no one' that makes his point.

I feel that he is saying that if we stop looking at the differences and look at the similarities (in that we all do some stupid shiat) then we can friggin settle down an look at improving ourselves as a people.

If we, as martial artists, stop bichin about the differences and move on we can improve the state of martial arts in general.

Never happen but maybe I'm as idealistic as Mr. Chappell.

rubthebuddha
02-04-2004, 11:23 PM
comedically, yes. overall, no.

but he's talented and **** intelligent, regardless. favu skit? when he would write down lines on a card and have a white woman next to him sing those lines -- whatever they were.

kungfu cowboy
02-05-2004, 12:49 AM
He is barely funny. I notice a trend in most comedians. They suck.

CaptinPickAxe
02-05-2004, 01:12 AM
KFC (huh huh)
I think Dave Chapelle is the top rung of the comedic ladder. He's up there with Chris Farely, Will Ferrel, and Chevy Chase. At least in my opinion. Why do you think he sux?

Ford Prefect
02-05-2004, 06:23 AM
He's a funny guy. I've seen him live a couple times at our local comedy shop. Definately not top rung then. Comedy isn't exactly something that could be measured though.

Vash
02-05-2004, 07:15 AM
Ah. I was still stuck in politics mode from all of the other OT: Political book reviews.

Dave Chappell is awesome. I liked his skit about the photocopy store.

Ming Yue
02-05-2004, 08:14 AM
Comic Genius. Definite Richard Pryor influences. It takes a great deal of panache to pull off a skit about a blind white supremecist who happens to be black. Ah, the irony. I thought that was one of the funniest bits I've seen in a while, and a great statement about the futility of racial predjudice.

That show should be an hour long.

MasterKiller
02-05-2004, 08:22 AM
Genuis? That's a stretch. Did any of you guys actually see Half Baked?

He's funny, though. But he's no Chris Rock.

Suntzu
02-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Half Baked was funny as he||....... even tho i can't remeber much of it....... how ironic.......... :D

Pork Chop
02-05-2004, 09:32 AM
i got that, we need to watch it after smashing machine...
then throw in pink floyd's "the wall", clockwork orange, and/or apocalypse now and we'll have run the complete gammut of drug movies.

Musicalkatachmp
02-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Do we have to say is he a genius yes or no? Can't we say something like "hes really funny" or "hes smart" why do we have to be on one side of the fence or the other?

He has shown some flashes of brilliance, that's for sure...like when he puts on makeup to be that white reporter or when he was the black white supremacist

does that make him a genius I don't know i guess maybe he is...

Ming Yue
02-05-2004, 10:41 AM
comfy on that fence, are ya?

:D

ZhouJiaQuan
02-05-2004, 11:15 AM
yea, im looking for a gremlin

:p

(the rest of that skit wasnt nearly as funny as that one line)

just sprinkle some crack on it...

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-05-2004, 11:23 AM
oso ...
I feel that he is saying that if we stop looking at the differences and look at the similarities (in that we all do some stupid shiat) then we can friggin settle down an look at improving ourselves as a people.

i disagree here. and the reason i disagree is actually why i'm such a big fan of his. i don't think he's trying to make us see our similarities ... in fact i think its the opposite. i think he's trying to make us see that there are differences in each race and that it's not such a bad thing. it's a fact can be accepted without hate. it's a point that i have been trying to get accross for a long time without sounding like a racist. all racial stereotypes can be made fun of without malice. if we can learn to laugh at ourselves and others (some peope have even more trouble with the latter) maybe we can take both the bigotry and political correctness down a notch.

Mutant
02-05-2004, 12:02 PM
i love chappell, i think he's funny as hell. one of the best shows on t.v.
comic genious? i'd define that as maybe richard pryer, jackie gleason, peter sellers...

does chappelle fit in that catagory? well i'd define a genious as not only someone who's brilliant (i think chappelle is), but someone who changes the way people think about their field (comedy), add a trememdous contribution and stand the test of time, being remembed as a benchmark. i think its kind of hard to fully perceive these things as they are as theyre happening. even einstein was thought to be a quack by many of his contemporaries, and galeleo was imprisoned... and those were contributions to hard science, comedy is subjective. so its hard to quantify, but its effects are obvious.

i think chappelle is shaking things up and doing some sketches i've never seen anything like. some of the things he comes up with are downright maniacal.

that said, i voted 'yes', but who knows...

kf-cowboy, you must be a real laugh-a-minute to be around...:rolleyes:

Oso
02-05-2004, 12:02 PM
GDA, well said.

Gangsterfist
02-05-2004, 02:11 PM
I would say he is a genius in his own element - comedy. Having watched all his stand ups and every single episode of chapelle show is where I get my answer from. There are many different levels of genius. Physical, mental, music, arts, etc etc. Michael Jordan was a genius, physically that is. He redefined basketball whether you are a fan of his or not, you have to accept that fact. I am not a huge Jordan fan, but I acknowledge his greatness. Chappelle is taking skit comedy and racial tensions to a new level. I, myself being a white man can't totally relate to everything that is not sterotyped. I grew up in the suburbs and lived in a middle class area. I was by no means rich, but by no means living in poverty. I live in the city now that is more ethnically diverse as well as finacially. In a matter of a few miles you go from rich old people, mostly white; to poor people mostly non white. We do live in segregation still, maybe not toally by race but definately by class. The fact that he writes comedy that is funny, appeals to, and can be related to everyone is genius.

When he did the race election skit, I laughed my @ss off to the point I could barely breath.

When he shows each sterotype in relation to another (ie black sterotypes vs white ones) it shows that us that we are in fact different, but its nothing that major. The BBQ ribs to help sleep skit, his stand up when he explained how he was genetically predisposed to liking fried chicken, and when the black family and white family traded spouses were all hilarious.

If you cannot relate to the satire and sterotypes he makes fun of perhaps you are just too uptight.

rubthebuddha
02-05-2004, 02:37 PM
kfc isn't wrong for not liking chapelle. it's just a matter of how well that comedy/messsage matches with what you deem as funny. want proof? cut the loudest fàrt you've ever unleashed upon mankind in a room of men. most men will laugh, marvel or simply nod as if to say, "nice one. musta been a costco polish dog." do the same in a room of women, and most (not all, mind you) will be so embarrassed they won't know what to think, but you're quite unlikely to wind up with any friends in the room.

or further proof: margaret cho. all of my friends think she's the funniest thing since robin williams, but to me, she's about as funny as a fàrt in a two-person submarine.

joedoe
02-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity

i disagree here. and the reason i disagree is actually why i'm such a big fan of his. i don't think he's trying to make us see our similarities ... in fact i think its the opposite. i think he's trying to make us see that there are differences in each race and that it's not such a bad thing. it's a fact can be accepted without hate. it's a point that i have been trying to get accross for a long time without sounding like a racist. all racial stereotypes can be made fun of without malice. if we can learn to laugh at ourselves and others (some peope have even more trouble with the latter) maybe we can take both the bigotry and political correctness down a notch.

Very well said ;) I think that line of thinking extends to the differences between men and women too.