PDA

View Full Version : Bagua Or Hsing-I In The Riverside Or Corona Ca. Area?

gulfvet
02-05-2004, 01:21 AM
I just recently moved to the Riverside area, from L.A., and have not been able to find any real martial arts in this area. There are alot of schools, but nothing that I'm looking for. I am a beginner, and would really appreciate it if anyone can let me know if there is any real Bagua or Hsing-I training in this part of Ca. I understand that Harvey Kurland teaches here, but I don't know much about him. Also, I believe he teaches more of the health aspects, and I'm looking more for the martial aspects. I would also be interested in any quality Wing Chun. Thanks alot.

backbreaker
02-05-2004, 01:51 AM
Harvey Kurland is a high ranking instructor under Tchoung ta chen who died. So is my first tai chi teacher I learned from for 10 years. I learned from Harvey Kurland in a seminar at a tai chi conference in Vancouver Cananda. Tchoung ta Tchen was powerful at 84 years old because he pushed me and sent my push back at me, causing me to tip over a bit and lose balance at 16 years old. At the actual conference he pushed people 200lbs 5 feet back with his shoulder and pushing. I have seen videos of a younger Tchoung ta Tchen and he was very powerful. He really was. But I'd say my first Taijiquan teacher is mainly teaching taiji for health now, and has really wimped out, so it's entirely possible you are accurate about his focus on the health aspects. He may teach O-mei mountain qigong as well as Yang style Taiji, and maybe even some xingyi or bagua, because my teacher does. So I think it could be good to start out, and there is actually fa jin power training on people in that style, unlike many other Yang, or Wu styles and stuff. I don't know about finding full contact oriented schools or older internal styles like chen style or luihe bafa because I live in Canada

freehand
02-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Lookup Dave Hopkin's Kung Fu San Soo in Riverside. I trained with Dave many years ago under our mutual teacher Al Rubin, and he is top notch. While I went off and did miltary and family things, Dave continued training. San Soo is an external art, focused on self defense, and combines strikes, chin na, and pressure points, and throws. Originally from the Quan Yin Buddhist temple in Guandong province (Canton).

http://www.davehopkinskungfu.com/index2.html