PDA

View Full Version : Grounding Information

Ma_Xu_Zha
02-10-2001, 07:56 PM
Been studying alot on electricity and working on computers and grounding static electricity.

Static electricity is a resting energy on the body that moves towards a ground.

It reminds me of something my chinese doctor use to say when peoples energy 'rubs off of you.' A individual or group energy can influence you so you should ground and discharge the bad chi. For example, you massage a person, their bad energy can affect your own energy. So the recommendation is to ground yourself with something that is grounded (metal pole in ground, sink pipe, metallic objects) and transfer that 'sick' energy off of you so it doesnt 'stick' to your energy.

The doctor explained something about patient energy in all sizes. thats why she seperated doing group accupunture between chinese groups and american groups of people because the energies as a whole were treated completely different.

an extreme case of being stuck in a groups energy is very often seen in like being stuck in a group mind like a cult group, people eventually lose their individuality and become followers without their own consciousness to rely on.

Just wanted to say that be sure to discharge by grounding yourself, bad chi energy can collect on you rub off of you. I was wondering if any of your teachers/doctors have mentioned anything about grounding your chi energy?

Kung Lek
02-10-2001, 11:39 PM
Hi-

I am familiar with your hypothesis on this subject.
There are a variety of Chi Kung exercises that develoop "defensive" chi quite well in terms of exactly what you are talking about whereby your chi is repulsive to negative influence.
This can manifest directly into your own character and behaviours as well and will further manifest in your ability to sense and ward off negative influence before it even gets near you.

The ideas of using foriegn materials to ground oneself is an ancient one (talismens, objects of "magic" etc).

I think that as a practitioner develops their defensive chi to an apex the need for talismens becomes moot.

peace

Kung Lek

GLW
02-11-2001, 10:31 PM
I am not sure about taking it that far...but I do know from a personal perspective that while learning Qi Gong, I have seen my health improve greatly...and at the same time, my susceptibility to static shocks has gone way up. I get shocked walking from my office chair to my office door...8 feet. I get shocked getting out of my car.

My teacher laughs at it and has said that it is a by product of good practice for some people...and I just have to learn to live with it.

Shocking....

ddh
02-13-2001, 01:02 AM
I'm sure there are as of yet unfound methods of getting rid of bad chi in the exchange that happens between healer and patient. I can't comment on the talismans or such "lucky charms" or the grounding by metal but I can comment of the experience of Yang, Meijun of Wild Goose chi gung fame. She healed a cancer patient in Beijing many years ago. For each hour of massage she gave she had to practice five hours of meditation to get rid of the bad chi. The mixing of energies between two people goes rather deep especially when there is a laying on of hands. My own chinese doctor who is also my internal arts teacher has as little direct contact with his patients as possible in his treatments. I think deep understandings and developments in the healer enables them to cleanse themselves of bad chi. I wish it were as simple as grasping iron or such methods but 20 years of message practice and several years of study and practice in Chinese Medicine has not given me any easy solutions.

Ma_Xu_Zha
02-13-2001, 05:01 PM
Flicking your hands is a common technique ive seen used by both massage teachers and taoist yoga teachers to expell bad energy out of the body. Goulin qigong, a walking chi kung uses exercise walking really fast and flicking the arms to the sides of the body to 'purge' bad chi energy. the other set is done more slow like taiji and is used to 'gather and nourish the chi'.

origenx
02-13-2001, 08:59 PM
MaXuZha - sounds like you got a good teacher. I've heard the same thing about energy being transferred from casual contact or healing and the need to get rid of it. That's why you have to be very careful when healing. But, I hadn't heard of you being able to expel it thru electrical grounding.

I also hadn't heard of differences in Oriental vs American qi. Is there really a difference, and if so, what exactly?

Ma_Xu_Zha
02-14-2001, 06:28 PM
Well not actually electrical grouding like a technician that uses Electrical static discharge grounding techniques that neutralizes electricity , more like a healer allowing the bad patient energy to be transferred into the ground or flicked off into nature or the sky to be transformed and neutralized by the earth, sun or stars. metal, like grabbing a pole technique does absorb negative ions correct? and water can change negative ions.

I also hadn't heard of differences in Oriental vs American qi. Is there really a difference, and if so, what exactly?

american qi is more 'empty fire' more of the combined extremes of yin and yang, a patient has both cold and hot (fire) symptoms. chinese is more 'cold' or 'hot' at one either end of the scale, a patient is either cold energy or hot (fire) energy, not combinations of both.

origenx
02-14-2001, 08:02 PM
Ma Xu Zha - Hmm...interesting. You think the difference is "genetic" or perhaps due to lifestyle & diet? Like, do Chinese-Americans here living Western-style typically have American or Oriental type qi then?

Ma_Xu_Zha
02-14-2001, 09:33 PM
chinese americans are now becoming closer to american diet, unless the parents and grandparents eat the indeginous diet, but the american food like fast food is rapidly changing the way families are.

ddh
02-15-2001, 01:07 AM
Empty fire? Are you referring to heat that resides high up in the body when the Kidneys are Yin deficient?

Ma_Xu_Zha
02-15-2001, 06:48 PM
Yes thats part of it, but it also means the beginning of something worse it they persist with 'empty fire', prolonged empty fire causes cold energy to go deep in the body while the patient exibits fire symptoms. It becomes harder to balance.

the deficent kidney energy cause the persons heat to rise in the head and make them think and think stuff all day with being physically weak to actually do some of the things they are thinking, thats a classical 'empty fire' personaility trait as well as being 'perfectionistic.'

origenx
02-15-2001, 09:27 PM
MaXuZha - "Empty fire" is like boiling a pot with no water?

Hmm, overthinking and perfectionism - uh oh, sounds familiar...

brucelee2
03-03-2001, 08:05 AM
Ma Xu Zha-

That empty fire kidney thing sounds like something a friend of mine has. What's the recommended treatment for it?

thanks

woliveri
03-04-2001, 06:36 PM
I believe the analogy origenx gave about the pot with no water in it is a good one. So what to do about that (outside of seeing a Doctor of Chinese Medicine)? Reduce or eliminate the excessive sexual lifestyle which depletes kidney jing/yin. Meditation to help balance the body. There could be many reasons why this is happening which is why it's good to visit a Doctor of TCM to get a diagnosis.

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

Repulsive Monkey
04-13-2001, 12:14 AM
First the heat needs to be cleared and then the empty needs to be tonified to make the energy fuller. But very importantly, the heat needs to be expelled from the body before all else.

Kevin Wallbridge
04-30-2001, 09:45 AM
Hmm, I'm not so sure about the concepts of Xu-Re/deficiency heat being expressed. If your throat is dry but not infected it can still feel burning and raw. Not because of a pathogenic influence but because the Yin substance of the body is depleted so the relative balance of Yin and Yang is disordered. The body's natural metabolic activity appears to show fire/heat signs, but is not actually pathological. In this case clearing the heat, such as by using cooling herbs, will lead a depletion of both Yin and Yang and result in an very dangerous condition. Rather than cooling, the Yin of the body should be tonified.

Xu-Re is also different from Zhen-Han Jia-Re/true cold false heat. This is when pathogenic cold is lodged deeply in the interior and causes signs of hyperactive heat in the exterior (the Yang is pushed to the exterior). A person suffering from deficiency heat may still have a robust constitution and so may not be any more suseptible to cold than they were before the chronic deficiency developed. In fact they would likely be more suseptible to cold if they were suffering from a Yang deficinecy.

"The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai

Michael Jacobs
06-08-2001, 04:58 AM
I believe the origional question was about grounding techniques? Before I get to that, I wanted to comment on a few things said. As I have known them, talismans typically store energy for a specific purpose that is programed to them by their owner. Some atract energy, some repel it, and yes I have to agree, at a certain point an individuals will is all that is needed. I have found that flicking energy from your hands into a room to clear your self will fill the room with the energy your trying to get rid of. Any one can then walk into it. Many techniques for grounding and healing exist, but the most powerful, without sounding cheesy, is unconditional love. It takes practice in meditation to be able to feel this for any client that needs healed, but giving yourself up to become nothing more than a channel for energy while totally loving the being is powerful healing. At that point you will also recieve healing and there will be no need for a talisman like a grounding technique. A quick grounding? Go run your hands under running water while breathing out the offending energy into it, send it down the pipes. Or lay down on the earth an let nature and gravity do the job for you. ( just remember not to lay too long or your batteries will run down) ;)

walkthecircle
06-08-2001, 02:06 PM
Hi,

All the things you speak of are very simple issues dealing with asian body work modalities.

the "bad" energy you speak of is a pretty low level thing that happens. Many Tui Na and shiatsu and Jen Shin Do practiioners experience these adverse side effects early in their practice but after they hone their skills they learn to create a boundary to not let the other person's energy in.

I had this problem when starting shiatsu. To help/heal a patient I would actually feel their pain w/in my body and worked on it that way. The patient felt WONDERFUL after the session I felt drained and sick. I thought this was good practice. BUT after finding a master level teacher (40 plus years of one modality) I learned that this is not the most skillful way to help someone. To be the best help you should be in an obtive state and let the client's energy do the healing not you.

All forms of body work are very humbling. You aren't doing anything it's the client's body that's doing the healing. You just help it along.

The negative or group chi you talk about is something that has substance. After working on many people or doing much kung fu you can feel the wave of chi that rolls off of people and groups. It's like a hot wind or radiation feel. First time i felt it I thought i was going nuts.

When you get quiet you can feel the different vibrational qualities of each meridian. Feel what the earth channels feels like...feel how that's different from the water and then wood.

Best of luck on the quest.

walkthecircle
06-08-2001, 02:15 PM
If you experience the "bad" chi. You're being too open to your client's chi.

You want to help so much that you want to physically take on their pain.

Try to keep seperate. Many practioners envision a bubble around them as they do body work.

Some picture a wire grounding them from the tailbone into the earth.

Some need to lay on the grass outdoors to regain balance. When I began I needed to do my Pa-kua to help me.

It's the most horrible feeling...it will go away with a few years of practice.