PDA

View Full Version : Herbal Treatment For Tendons?

sam58
02-11-2001, 01:52 PM
Can anyone recomend a herbal remedy for joint/tendons? Even a link to a site would be helpful.

Thanks,
Sam

Look, and it can't be seen.
Listen, and it can't be heard.
Reach, and it can't be grasped.

whitecrane
02-11-2001, 06:23 PM
I have not as of yet used this concoction. I have only heard of its use. It is supposedly good for tendon strengthening.

It is called Jin Gu Die Shang Wan

I have heard it sold only in pill form, but please do more research before taking me up on this.

Namo Ahmitabha

JE
02-12-2001, 01:06 AM
Hello Sam,

As is usually the case with Chinese medicine there are numerous products on the market. Some are made in China and some by US based companies. If you can explain a bit more about the problems you are having and what you would like the product to do I will be glad to list a few of the products that are available. Of course there is always the posibility of taking raw herbs to make a tea (which most likely won't taste great) and to see an acupuncturist. But first tell me a bit more about what you would like to treat.

Jin Gu Die Shang Wan - Tendon and Bone Trauma Pill - is a classic trauma formula. It is used to treat acute injuries to the bones and tendons or severe bruising. It is not a tonic formula designed to strengthen or nourish your tendons to make them more supple.

Hope the info helps.

regards,

Justin

swmngdragn
02-12-2001, 05:04 AM
You may want to check ouy http://www.LifeRising.com/ .

I've made some tremendous strides in my rehabilitation with the use of these herbs plus accupuncture, cupping, massage, and chiropractics.

Drake

Best regards,

Drake Sansone

(swmngdragn@home.
com)
"Train, or go
to hell" Terry
W.
http://www.liuh
opafa.com/ˇ

sam58
02-12-2001, 05:24 AM
My condition is this. I will be having surgery on my right elbow for tendonitis in March. I have also noticed that my left knee is starting to hurt sometimes. This pain is on the outside of the knee & runs down my calf and up in my hamstring. Sometimes the kneecap area itself is painful. What I mean by painful is being more uncomfortable than really hurting. I have been keeping a close eye on my stances by not letting my knee go past my toes, allowing my knee to turn with my foot during pivots, etc. I'm just looking for something that I can use as a type of recovery treatment, I guess.

Thanks for all the help,
Sa

JE
02-13-2001, 09:04 AM
Sam,

I think I should start this by first saying the first and most important aspect of Chinese medicine is to be able to see the person in front of you, to see their Shen, to feel their pulse, to feel their qi. Without that factor it is very difficult to provide appropriate medical advice. Please take my advice as general information concerning the condition of tendon inflammation (Jin Yan) as per TCM and not for your case in specific. That being said I will try to give my biased opinion about the said condition.

Tendonitis is the inflammation of the tendons. It generally presents with pain upon palpation (touch) and activity, heat in the local area, weakness, etc. In general this is the type of condition that responds exceptionally well to Chinese medicine (acupuncture and herbs. I find it quite difficult to imagine a case that would be severe enough to warrant surgery although I cannot judge your case without having seen you in person.

If a patient were to present to me in clinic with lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) I would treat them with a combination of acupuncture, massage (Tui Na), external and internal herbs. I would expect to see a rather significant and lasting change within four to six treatments. But the rapidity of change would, of course, be dependent on many factors such as severity of their problem, length of problem, compliancy with herbs, giving the area adequate rest to heal, etc.

As I feel it is inappropriate to tell you what to do without having seen you in person I think I will leave my recommendation at saying please consider contacting a local practitioner of TCM before doing anything. If surgery can be avoided it is my general opinion to always do so.

Likewise in regards to internal formulas of Chinese herbs please find a local practitioner that can provide you with a professional diagnosis and treatment modality. Internal and external herbs can play a significant role in maintaining our health when used appropriately.

There are some general products that can be used post-surgically to facilitate healing. Yunnan Bai Yao is commonly used as internal medicine and die da jiu can be used topically as soon as the wounds are healed over. Likewise plasters and poultices can be a big help but you will need access to a local herb shop to get access to that type of stuff.

I hope the information helps and isn't too vague.

Best Wishes,
Justin

My condition is this. I will be having surgery on my right elbow for tendonitis in March. I have also noticed that my left knee is starting to hurt sometimes. This pain is on the outside of the knee & runs down my calf and up in my hamstring. Sometimes the kneecap area itself is painful. What I mean by painful is being more uncomfortable than really hurting. I have been keeping a close eye on my stances by not letting my knee go past my toes, allowing my knee to turn with my foot during pivots, etc. I'm just looking for something that I can use as a type of recovery treatment, I guess.

sam58
02-17-2001, 05:47 PM
Justin,
Thank you very much for your advise. After reading, it made a lot of sense. Kind of like asking a doctor for treatment of a "red" rash... what does the rash look like, and where is it?

I had inquired about acupuncture/herbs to my therapist, but she informed me that because this is a workmans comp issue, the carrier is hesitant to try "experimental methods" and would not cover it. Plus where I live, the nearest practitioner is 50 miles away. Rest assured though that I will keep investigating this and I may be able to find someone in my local area willing to help me.

Sa

JE
02-18-2001, 10:11 AM
Sam,

Glad the information was useful. The laws for acupuncture in the US vary from state to state. In California, acupuncturists are primary medical providers. That means we're equal with MD's and workman's comp is fully available. As I'm unaware of what the laws are in your state I can't say much about what your options are, but check them out. It's quite possible that it's an option. Regrettably it doesn't replace the fact that there isn't anyone around your area.

If I can be of any further assistance don't hesitate to drop me a note.

cheers,

Justin