PDA

View Full Version : How far can you get in Wingchun

Ging Mo Fighter
02-06-2004, 10:10 AM
Just wondering how far you can get in Wingchun

If you purchase a book teaching in detail many things about wingchun

purchase a well made and correct wooden dummy

purchase a book on how to perform lots of the techniques?

Currently im doing southern praying mantis, but enjoy many of the techniques wingchun has to offer (there are some which are almost exactley the same to my art)

unfortunately because of political reasons, the wingchun instructor in my home town wont accept me as a student because im doing Southern mantis... :rolleyes:

thoughts?

Gangsterfist
02-06-2004, 10:16 AM
He won't teach you because you are learning another system? that is lame-

You can learn a lot from books and get good ideas from books, but you its not the same as being shown. The bad thing about books is you might develope bad habbits.

I would say try to find someone who will show you. If all else fails try trading techniques with one of his students.

JamesHFYofAZ
02-06-2004, 11:01 AM
It might be that your southern mantis challenges his abilities to teach you wing chun. Don't get me wrong but some sifu's never truly understand other systems and this may be why he will not teach you. I would hate to teach someone that would continue to challenge my words. It would be dishonest to go behind his back and get info from his students, but that is up to you and your own morals. I would love to get my hand on southern mantis to broaden my own knowledge. But if the Sifu was like that then his students will more than likely be close to the same as far as info sharing. Is there any other schools around? just my thoughts on it! Good luck on your venture.

Toby
02-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Lots of wing chun in Perth ... You could look for another school.

I can't imagine learning wing chun from a book. IMHO I learn infinitely more and faster when training with a partner that when training alone. That is the single biggest benefit to my training that a book and solo training could never provide.

Originally posted by Gangsterfist
I would say try to find someone who will show you. If all else fails try trading techniques with one of his students. I'm probably one of his students. I can't speak for anyone else, but you won't get any techniques out of me (nor I hope any other students). Sorry :p.

ntc
02-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Don't be too surprised by this. In olden China, one was not encouraged to learn other systems but focus on just one. A lot of it had got to do with loyalty. In addition to not being accepted by a sifu because you were stugying other systems, oftentimes one was kicked out of a kung fu family if he was found stugying in another school, especially rival schools (eg, Wing Chun and Choy Lei Fut).

Remember that in China, kung fu schools were not considered schools, but more like families, and everyone in a family were treated like brothers and sisters. And so, to study another art would have been disrespectful to the teacher, and to accept a student from another school would also have been disrespectful, in this occasion, to the teacher of the other school. In order to go from one school to another, one really had to disassociate oneself from the original school before being accepted to the new one.

Definitely a traditional and cultural thing.

Savi
02-06-2004, 11:26 AM
Well, perhaps that Wing Chun Sifu is being respectful of your Mantis Sifu? When I moved from my hometown of Chicago to AZ, I requested permission from my first Sifu to train under a new Sifu. I got consent from both Sifus before making my decision.

Have you tried this?

Toby
02-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Right on the money ntc. At least, I can't speak for him, but he's a traditionalist. Very much a family atmosphere. Respect is very important.

<edit>Wrong info removed</edit>

Gangsterfist
02-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Tradition rules in the hearts of stubborn fools.

IMHO kung fu is for everyone not to be passed down to certain people and not to be only for certain races, sexes, and practioners of other styles.

As for trading techniques with other practioners I do it all the time. I once sparred a white crane practioner who was, well way better of a fighter than me. After the match we exchanged ideas and he showed me a few things I could have used against him for future reference. Then I showed him some things about wing chun. Its not like I teach them the forms or anything like that. If they wanted to learn the whole system of wing chun I would tell them to come to class; and they would be most welcome to attend. Now, there are some things we do not discuss outside of class. Our sifu makes that apparent when he teaches us. I respect that and do not discuss certain techniques. However, hording a bunch of basic techniques that joe blow could read from any of the countless wing chun books out there seems silly to me.

There are no secret societies anymore, heck there really isn't any practical place in todays world for the fighter. If you can teach someone something that will benefit them, then do it. Give a man a fish to feed him for one day, teach him to fish and feed him for life.

Granted, there are always certain people I would not train or trade any information with reguarding martial arts. I am pretty sure we all know what type of people that is.

Oh and BTW, this is not ancient china.

ntc
02-06-2004, 12:05 PM
OK.... quick to criticize, are we not??

Just remember that, ancient or not, fool or not, silly or not, wise or not, stupid or not, some things are deeply embedded in individual cultures. The Chinese culture has its characteristics, and so does the American culture, along with all other cultures. Often times in kung fu, these very particular cultural aspects will surface among the traditional stylists.

Right or wrong is immaterial, but just respect the fact that, as you were brought up and taught a certain set of values, well, so were they. You followed a series of principles and values based on the teacher who taught you, and so were they. And if you wished to learn from some of these folks, then you need to respect their values otherwise they will not teach you. And finally, if you think this is hogwash... no problem at all, just go find another teacher. Not everyone was meant to study under traditional stylists, and that too is ok.

reneritchie
02-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Ging Mo Fighter-- About this far: '...'

NTC--That is what they say but I do not believe it. There were simply far, far too many people, famous or otherwise, training in multiple systems back then. You need only glance at the existence of Choy Lee Fut, Fut Ga, Jow Ga, Lama Pai, Sun Taiji, Tai Shing Pigua, Baguazhang, etc. to see that.

I think those stories are just cautionary tales to protect the rice bowl. In fact, it was not unknown for famous sifu to encourage their students to go out and learn from other famous sifu to round them out (someone to teach them Taiji, or long bridge, or footwork specialties, etc.)

ntc
02-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Reneritchie.... thanks for the feedback, and I respect your opinion.

Certainly there are lots of teachers out there who encourage cross training, especially here in the US. At the same time, there are a lot of traditional stylists out there who still have that old belief, and I know a lot of them personally. I was born and raised in China, and learned my kung fu there as well, and so I know that these traditions are well and alive there. One does not have to go far... my own teacher, Sifu Ho Kam Ming, is one of them. He definitely would not be a happy camper and would be insulted if one of us were training at another school, Wing Chun or otherwise.

The point in my post was that if one was really interested in training multiple systems, then studying under a very, very traditional teacher with cultural belefs and values may not be the smartest choice. A more open-minded teacher might perhaps be more applicable.

Zhuge Liang
02-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi All,

I am of the opinion (which is no doubt influence by my teacher) that there really aren't any secrets. It's not the techniques in gung fu that are important. It is the "gung" in gung fu that is important. If I demonstrated something that took be the better part of the year to "get", not to mention the years of foundation building prior to that, I am really not that concerned that someone will be able to "steal" it from me just by watching. If you can steal the essence of my gung fu just by watching, then either my gung fu is crap or you are one of those very rare "martial arts geniuses" that can pick things up extremely easily.

My teacher will from time to time say (paraphrasing) "I spent all this time, holding your hands, over and over again, trying to teach you and you guys still don't pick it up. If there is someone who can pick it up just by watching me, I want HIM as a student."

It's like thinking you can pick up piano playing or painting just by watching. Unfortunately, you still have to do the work.

Regards,
Alan

ntc
02-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Alan.... excellent points. My teacher was the same.... very tough, strict, and disciplined teacher, but a truly wonderful teacher. He made us work very hard, during classes as well as when we were alone. But in the end, all very well worth it. Like you said so well... the "gung" in "gung fu". Only through hard work.

Savi
02-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by ntc
Certainly there are lots of teachers out there who encourage cross training, especially here in the US. At the same time, there are a lot of traditional stylists out there who still have that old belief, and I know a lot of them personally. I was born and raised in China, and learned my kung fu there as well, and so I know that these traditions are well and alive there. One does not have to go far... my own teacher, Sifu Ho Kam Ming, is one of them. He definitely would not be a happy camper and would be insulted if one of us were training at another school, Wing Chun or otherwise.

The point in my post was that if one was really interested in training multiple systems, then studying under a very, very traditional teacher with cultural belefs and values may not be the smartest choice. A more open-minded teacher might perhaps be more applicable. NTC knows what he is talking about.

One has to ask him/herself, "Am I an outsider looking in, or an insider looking out?"

Accepting:
Some people understand the relationship of insider's information and outsider's information, as well as the martial culture, may very easily respect that which they are not in a position to receive. There are many people who fit this category, but are less "noisy" in the public eye, if you know what I mean.

Rejecting:
Some people do not understand why they cannot attain what they ask for, usually do one of two things:

1. Remain quiet and press on with his/her life.

2. Dismiss it for an unwillingness to share - and/or then claim their unwillingness to share as blasphemy. They are much more "noisy" in the public eye (sometimes creating and spreading many "mis-truths" to shun those who have rejected them.)

These people may not know or dismiss the deep martial culture. There are also many more characters out there who fit this category.

If you could care less, then I say heed NTC's advice and find a more "modern" minded Sifu who may readily accept historical/traditional culture as well as modern culture.

I'm with NTC's thoughts. It is said in the HFY family: "Know your time and space."

ntc
02-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Savi: thanks for your thoughts and comments. You bring up some very good and important points. I especially am with you in your earlier commen on requesting permission first prior to changing/adding to your training. This shows respect for the teachers, and I am sure they appreciate it. I have also seen students from some of the very traditional teachers do this, and some have been successful and some have not. But it all boils down to the same word.... "respect". You will likely go further by showing due "respect" to your teacher for whatever you had in mind especially in the aspect of cross-training, much like what you did by asking for permission, than otherwise, like going behind their backs.

Gangsterfist
02-06-2004, 01:05 PM
I don't know where you guys get this info from, maybe kung fu movies? My sigung is from china, and he trained in Wing chun under Ho Kam Ming, Taiji - yang family under a different sifu, Choy Lay Fut under a different sifu and he is a black belt in okinawan karate. He grew up and trained in china before coming to the U.S.

He is proficient and certified to teach all of those martial arts. In fact I am think about taking up some choy lay fut in the near future if he will teach me. Its gonna depend on how much my taiji and wing chun is advanced then. He doesn't want to overload his students with too much at a too early of a stage.

Tons of fighters cross trained in tons of different systems, its the elitest that didn't want to teach others. Remember back some 50 years ago they wouldn't teach any non chinese? Times have changed and if you are willing to put in the hard work to train kung fu I don't see a problem with it. Yes respect has a part in it as well, if you don't respect your teaher or fellow students then you do not deserve to learn kung fu. That is up to the individual not some traditional system.

PaulH
02-06-2004, 01:08 PM
I have met a few old cranes in WC time... And all I would say on this topic is there is nothing worse than the feeling of being trapped with no exit in sight as an earnest student who constantly search for the betterment of his kung fu and himself. Great teacher has nothing to hide. They often gracefully allow their students to find their own wings unhindered and with their sincere blessings.

Regards,
PH

Gangsterfist
02-06-2004, 01:10 PM
ntc-

I never meant any disrespect. I am just trying to make a point that sharing kung fu with people who respect the art and are willing to advance themselves is a good thing. Then again I guess I am a westerner of this modern time.

However, all of us are brothers and sisters in the arts.

Savi
02-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Gangsterfist,
I believe the issue at hand is not what to accept or reject in today's environment. I think this is about understanding why a "traditionally/culturally-minded" Sifu might not accept a student.

I do not think this has anything to do with a person choosing to cross-train.

Besides, the cultural "blood" of many martial arts spans hundreds of years, not just a few decades.

Gangsterfist
02-06-2004, 01:15 PM
maybe I got off on a tangent - sorry!

I also respect the fact that each individual has their own opinions, morals, and beliefs, and I respect that.

So if someone does not want to train you because of you background that is their choice whether I agree with it or not.

Back to the matter at hand and the real topic.

Find yourself a sifu to learn wing chun.

reneritchie
02-06-2004, 01:15 PM
NTC - I understand what you are saying, and it is also what I have heard for many, many years, but what I am saying is if we go beyond the 'talk', and objectively look at the history of Chinese MA, there has always (not just now and not just in the US) been a very strong tradition of cross training as well.

Choy Lai Fut was not founded in the US. Nor was Sun Taiji, nor was Bagua, nor was Jow Ga, nor was Lama, nor was Baguazhang, nor was Taijiquan, nor was Tai Shing Pigua, etc. etc. All these systems were the result of Chinese martial artists, in China, cross training.

I am not saying you are wrong, I am saying that it is an 'do as I say not as I do' in a way, and something certain sifu use to protect the rice bowl (be it financial or ego based), not an absolute and all encompassing reality of old time, traditional China.

Indeed, if our own WCK ancestors hadn't cross trained, we might not have the pole, the dummy, and other elements of our own system today. :)

ntc
02-06-2004, 01:23 PM
ntc-

I never meant any disrespect. I am just trying to make a point that sharing kung fu with people who respect the art and are willing to advance themselves is a good thing. Then again I guess I am a westerner of this modern time.

Gangsterfist--> No worries.... did not think you were disrespectful, and appreciated your honesty. That is what forums are for...... so that we can all share ideas and viewpoints. In many aspects, we are all right (especially from the road we all individually travelled), and in the eyes others, we may sometimes be wrong. But if we all just put aside our own egos and insecurities as so many of us in this thread strive to do and keep and open mind, we can learn a lot from each other. But either way, appreciate your clarification.

kj
02-06-2004, 01:25 PM
I do believe there are at times cultural and/or personal perspectives at work with some teachers, who choose to be selective in their teaching. Some individuals, not unjustifiably, view the teaching of martial arts as an investment or even a gift of sorts. Commensurately, they may exercise their right to invest as they see fit.

IMHO, we have no inherent "right" such that another individual is required to us Wing Chun, or much of anything else. I'm as big a fan of altruism as anyone, yet I don't believe anyone owes us anything. Once we know the rules of engagement, the next choice is ours.

Just a different perspective, FWIW.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

ntc
02-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by reneritchie
....what I am saying is if we go beyond the 'talk', and objectively look at the history of Chinese MA, there has always (not just now and not just in the US) been a very strong tradition of cross training as well.

Reneritchie--> You are absolutely correct in this. Over the years, many martial artists have done cross training, regardless of traditions, and there really is no right or wrong in this. Really up to the individual student and teacher. Besides, it is always beneficial to the martial artist to learn as much as he can, from his own system as well as others, in order to have a firm understanding of what he is truly practising.

A great example of cross training is Choy Lei Fut. It is a combination of the Choy family chuan, Lee family kicks, and aspects applied from Buddhism (the "fut" aspect of the art). If the founder, Chan Heung, had not done these various studies, Choy Lei Fut may not be in existence today.

And another aspect of your comment is also very true, that there are a lot of teachers who "protect their rice bowl".

All are true and valid points.

I think Savi said it out best ....: "I believe the issue at hand is not what to accept or reject in today's environment. I think this is about understanding why a "traditionally/culturally-minded" Sifu might not accept a student.

I do not think this has anything to do with a person choosing to cross-train.".

Bottom line is, cross-training works for some and not for others.... some think it is necessary and demanded, others feel it may be harmful, especially to the novice practitioner who has yet to master the primary art prior to taking on a secondar. Ultimately, the individual student really needs to find the one teacher that is best suited for his/her needs and what he/she is looking for.

PaulH
02-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Kathy,

I'm not familiar with FWIW. What do they stand for? Ha! Ha! Let get on the same track regarding basic English abbreviations. I agree with your post. We should not depend nor hold others to our ideals. It's a free world. We can only be responsible for our own acts.

Regards,
PH

Gangsterfist
02-06-2004, 03:42 PM
FWIW = for what its worth

PaulH
02-06-2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks, G-man!

Gangsterfist
02-06-2004, 03:56 PM
lol you're most welcome

WCis4me
02-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Hi Ging Mo Fighter,

You can get as far as your desire and hard work allows in Wing Chun. As for videos, books, the dummy, etc. In my opinion they are all great and essential aids but your advancement will be limited without personal instruction.

As for another Wing Chun school in Perth here is some info:

Perth - Sifu Peter Guy
Level 2, 8A Old Great Northern Highway
Midland W.A. 6056
04-0313-0774
guy.pj@bigpond.com

I am geographically challenged so am not sure if that is somewhere close to you or if you have tried there yet, however I hope it helps.

Here is a link to other schools in Austrailia, might give you a better contact through your own knowledge of the area.

Other WC Schools in Aus. (http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/contact.asp#aus)

Good luck in your pursuit of Wing Chun.

FWIW- I think your style is way cool as well. One of my definate favs to watch and on my to do list of things to try in the future as time and energy permits.

Vicky

Ultimatewingchun
02-06-2004, 04:35 PM
I've been teaching for 19.5 years - and I can tell you flat out that training simultaneously in two different schools can definitely be a problem...your second sifu and his students might have a hard time trusting you...and as NTC said...many martial art schools (mine included) are kind of like a family.

When crosstraining in two very different arts - say wc and a grappling art - it's easier to be accepted.

But in the end, it really all depends upon the image you project to the second sifu in question, I suppose...My own personal experience has been that if the new student shows the proper respect and pretty much checks his other art at the door...then there's no problem.

In fact, if he does those two things... then I usually almost always invite him sooner or later to show some of his first art or even try to test us (me and my advanced students) with it from time to time.

Another route to take is to buy some good wing chun videos...

kj
02-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Ging Mo Fighter
Just wondering how far you can get in Wingchun

If you purchase a book teaching in detail many things about wingchun

purchase a well made and correct wooden dummy

purchase a book on how to perform lots of the techniques?

Hi Ging Mo Fighter,

Well, as usual, I'll be one to break ranks, and say that I feel it's a waste of precious money and especially time to try learning Wing Chun from books, videos, and the internet. Resharing (below) my thoughts from a previous thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21715&highlight=quality+instructor). Combined with input from others, at least you'll have some different perspectives to consider.

Regards & best wishes on your journey.
- Kathy Jo

Originally posted by kj
I don't like to give "advice" - no one takes it anyway. ;) But I will offer a few thoughts and suggestions.

Find the best instructor you can who meets your requirements and expectations, regardless of where they live and teach. If you cannot find someone you feel has the highest levels of competence in what you wish to pursue, or if you cannot travel to find it, my advice would be to consider a different art where you can obtain top quality instruction. I realize others differ with me on this point, but to my mind pursuing a martial art is too much of an investment to settle for second, third or fourth best in learning, even in Wing Chun. Obviously, you will set your own criteria for what you feel is best, just as others do.

Travel there to train as often as you can, whether once a day, once a week, once a month, or once a year. Make the most of every visit, and soak up information like a sponge.

In between visits, practice yourself silly. Even without hands to work with, you can still continue to build your foundation and many of the necessary capabilities working alone, especially working the sets, sandbag, stepping, turning, etc. The kung fu is something you have to earn anyway, and not something your teacher can give you.

After you have some time in and some foundation built (both physically and in understanding), get a wooden dummy. It won't substitute for a live partner, but it will help. Invest in a good wooden dummy too, don't waste your money on junk.

Find yourself at least one partner to practice and learn along with you. Finding a partner is not easy; finding one who is a good partner for you and who will stay the course even harder. But aside from the right instructor and diligence in your personal practice, this is a most important piece. Not only will you have someone to practice "on" and with, but your two heads in learning will be better than one. If your new partner can become enthused as you are, encourage them to go to the class/school with you, wherever it is, and be an extra sponge for learning. You will also motivate each other. Until you get a partner, however long that takes, keep practicing on your own and do not make this a constraint or showstopper. But do your best not to delay on this any longer than you must.

Once you and your partner have some foundation between you, and are solidly along and confident in your training path, find others to share and grow with. But word to the wise ... don't fancy yourself a master before your time, and don't try to play like one. Just walk the path with the others regardless who is ahead or behind or who leapfrogs; you must all help each other along. Humility is not only admirable, but appropriate for most mere mortals. A truly good teacher even learns from their students.

Be persistent and patient.

Don't waste your time trying to learn from books, tapes, or on your own without the best hands-on instruction you can avail yourself of. Reading and researching is okay provided you don't go bankrupt, but you cannot rely on any of that to help build your kung fu; trying to learn from such venues may do more harm than good in the long run. It is better to train under the guidance of an excellent instructor once a year, than a poor instructor every day. Kung fu is something you must build for yourself, it cannot be handed to you at any price. The time and effort is too much of an investment to waste on guesswork, trying to resolve unresolveable inconsistencies, or building bad habits that will take two or three times as long to undo. We get old too fast to waste time that way. Besides, that money is better invested to travel to a good instructor if need be.

Meet with, engage with, and share with other Wing Chun people and other martial artists whenever you can. Don't rely on this as your primary training though. If you have chosen carefully and wisely, you should follow your teacher's guidance, and not become distracted with everyone else's methods and advice. And I guarantee you will get more of it than you bargain for. However working with others to the degree and level that you are able is an invaluable way to keep your eyes open, your mind sharp, and your practice honest; it will also challenge you so that you can continue to grow in skill and understanding. It will also present many questions for you to research with your teacher. Working with others will also help you to see when in-path corrections are needed, even if that correction means you should further explore other teachers. Sometimes we don't hit quite the right thing for us first time out of the chute.

Oh, and did I say be patient and persistent? :D

This is just off top of my head, and I'll think of a ton more once I hit "send." Short on time though, so will stop at that.

FWIW, my teacher lives over 3000 miles away from where I am. I did not select him because of overwhelming convenience, yet I found a way to make what I was looking for and hoping to learn into reality. These thoughts are gleaned from real life experience, not some impossible dream. Your priorities, constraints, options, and course will almost certainly be different from mine; so please consider this just some starter ideas for generating more of your own.

Grendel
02-06-2004, 06:14 PM
How far can you get in Wingchun?

A better question is how far are you willing to go?

On another note, if relocating or travel is out of the question, is there an excellent TCMA teacher of any style in your area who would accept you? There are many paths to the top of the mountain and settling on a lesser light of a teacher won't help you get there.

In the best of all possible worlds you should seek a top MA teacher who is also a person who you can admire for his/her character because in the end that's what matters.

Regards,

Ging Mo Fighter
02-06-2004, 08:51 PM
the wingchun instructor (which i will leave nameless) also has learnt many other styles from other instructors - hypocrit mabye?

I feel I was more turned down because of my affiliation to a particular school that he didn't like, which i guess is fair?

although thats no reason to dislike me :confused:

anerlich
02-06-2004, 09:42 PM
All instructors are human, with human quirks, foibles, values and attitudes. Much as some prefer to treat them, and still worse some expect to be treated, as demigods who can do no wrong.

How much of the attitude is traditional values, how much personal values, how much self interest, and how much to do with the history of the two instructors is impossible for an outsider to judge.

That aside, it's usually good form to practice common courtesy and tell both your current instructor and your proposed new instructor exactly what your plans are, regardless of any cultural concerns or traditions.

"Doing the right thing" transcends cultural and traditional boundaries.

You should be able to find a decent WC teacher in Perth who will not place such conditions on you.

Toby
02-07-2004, 07:56 AM
the wingchun instructor (which i will leave nameless) also has learnt many other styles from other instructors - hypocrit mabye?

I feel I was more turned down because of my affiliation to a particular school that he didn't like, which i guess is fair?

although thats no reason to dislike me :confused: If it's who I think it is, he has learnt many styles over many many years of learning. I don't think he has learnt any concurrently, which may be where the problem lies. If you choose to leave Malcolm Sue KF and start at another school, then that may be acceptable. However, Perth is a small place, and there would probably be the need for discussion between past and future sifus to ensure no toes are stepped on. I for one would not be happy to hear of one of my wing chun brothers or sisters leaving and starting somewhere else without them discussing it with the sifus involved. I do know of students who've come from other schools and they are just as accepted as anyone else. Some from other arts and some from other wing chun schools in Australia.

I'm sure it's nothing personal - he turns many people down, regardless of their affiliation or lack of ;). I'm sure he won't dislike you unless you give him reason to.

As I said, there are other wing chun schools in Perth. My brother learns at a different one to me. My office roommate learns at another one. Everyone's happy with where they are. I can think of a few more schools too. Names? Well, Peter Guy has already been mentioned. Michael Ho, Rolf Clausnitzer are a couple more.

BTW, please don't call him a hypocrite :mad:. Even though it was rhetorical, you are insulting my teacher (if that's who you're talking about). You know the drill - insulting him is insulting me.

If you're not talking about my teacher, then please disregard my comments :p.

<edit>fixed typo</edit>

Ging Mo Fighter
02-07-2004, 08:40 AM
absolutely no disrespect intended, and i retract my comment if it was taken that way

i just really love what ive seen of wingchun, but ALAS, ive found a contact that i am talking with now who might be able to help me out (a name of which you mentioned)

Phenix
02-07-2004, 02:19 PM
How far can one get in Wing Chun?

Let's see how Bruce Lee's view.

http://epgpfm.fateback.com/concepts/liberate.html

Truth Cannot be Structured or Defined

One cannot express himself fully when imprisoned by a confining style. Combat "as is" is total, and it includes all the "is" as well as "is not," without favorite lines or angles. Lacking boundaries, combat is always fresh, alive and constantly changing. Your particular style, your personal inclinations and your physical makeup are all 'parts' of combat, but they do not constitute the 'whole' of combat. Should your responses become dependent upon any single part, you will react in terms of what "should be" rather than to the reality of the ever-changing "what is." Remember that while the whole is evidenced in all its parts, an isolated part, efficient or not, does not constitute the whole.--- Bruce Lee

Certainly, this is contradict to those who believe in the Formulars... or Bruce Lee didnt find the most efficient system.....

For me, Bruce is expresing about Non-Duality--- that is real Chan.

dodger87
02-08-2004, 04:20 AM
Toby and Ging Mo you guys from Perth? Awesome! I didn't think anyone here was from Perth. What school do you go to Toby? I saw the poster in yellowpages for Malcolm Sue he looked very flashy.

Ging Mo Fighter
02-08-2004, 05:15 AM
yeah i've been going to malcolm sue for almost 2 years, but am starting up william cheungs branch of wingchun because it offers me better chances for my long term goals (opperating a kungfu school for myself to support myself and teach kungfu)

so yeah, hopefully everything, combined with hours of sweating and hard work will one day work out

peace

WCis4me
02-08-2004, 08:03 AM
Hi Ging Mo fighter,

Glad to see the contact I suggested is what you were looking for and in the right area.

Enjoy your training.

Vicky

Gangsterfist
02-08-2004, 01:24 PM
DIdn't Bruce Lee only learn the SLT, a bit of CK, and a bit of the dummy, and chi sao?

If I recall correctly Bruce was not trained in WC very long, and definately did not master it. However, he is Bruce Lee and a natural at MA.

Toby
02-08-2004, 07:20 PM
One more thing for the Perth guys - if you want info on Perth WC schools (or MA in general, probably) go to Ray Hana's in West Perth and ask Sunil. He seems to know most people. Chatty guy, though, so give yourself a bit of time and don't let yourself get sidetracked too much ;).

Toby
02-08-2004, 07:22 PM
absolutely no disrespect intended, and i retract my comment if it was taken that way

i just really love what ive seen of wingchun, but ALAS, ive found a contact that i am talking with now who might be able to help me out (a name of which you mentioned) No problem, then. Just a misunderstanding, I guess. Glad you found what you wanted. My office roommate is a senior there.

Phenix
02-08-2004, 07:37 PM
Seriously,

"How far can you get in wing chun" is asking a wrong question.

why?

1, wing chun is a vision which grow with one, not a x years warranty ticket similar to when one buy an electronics.

2, wing chun is a direction which is lively pointing to the infinity grow, not an answer showing one what has been done/ completed.

the question might be how curious you are interm of physical, strategy, breathing..........seeing throught the physical movements into energy..........why can one testing one's qi and yee with string of chinese coins.....how can one make use of it?......ect

Yup, after practicing SLT, one can use a string of coins to test the qi and yee.

Just some thought

dodger87
02-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Toby what school do you go to?

WCis4me
02-09-2004, 07:13 AM
DIdn't Bruce Lee only learn the SLT, a bit of CK, and a bit of the dummy, and chi sao?

If I recall correctly Bruce was not trained in WC very long, and definately did not master it. However, he is Bruce Lee and a natural at MA.

That is what my understanding was as well.

Toby
02-09-2004, 08:07 PM
dodger87,

Sent you an e-mail yesterday. If you didn't get it, then take away the names I gave before to Ging Mo Fighter from the list of more common WA schools and you're left with my instructor.

<edit>My sentence didn't make sense</edit>

dodger87
02-10-2004, 07:48 AM
yup, recieved.