PDA

View Full Version : Police Special (March/April 2004)

PHILBERT
02-06-2004, 12:17 PM
This is an interesting issue, doing it pretty much on police.

The interview with Master King Li Yen was nice, and a good touch to start off the issue. Too bad it did not show any techniques being applied however of Baijiquan.

The picture of Margie on page 23 hitting that one guy (Who is that dude anyway) with the action bat was nice. :D

To Protect and to Serve was...different. It was not what I was expecting at first. I liked the article itself, discussing how it works, how cops have to apply it, etc. I didn't like the rope techniques though. because it raises a few questions. 1.) You have both your hands (no pun intended) tied with the rope, making it difficult to block an attack if the rope does not work and 2.) Wouldn't it be difficult to catch fast punches with it? It looks fancy and interesting, but I think it looks difficult to pull off.

Is that the Incredible Hulk on page 29? Printing error :p

Baguazhang Law Enforcement by Dr Painter. Believe it or not, the day this issue arrived, I stood in my bathroom combing my hair and brushing my teeth and thought to myself "I wonder when Dr Painter will write another KF/TC article". I know he gets alot of crap online from Internet Warriors, and while the man DOES live a mile from me, I've never spoken to him (ran into him once eating dinner somewhere but did not comment cause that would be rude). I thought the opening story was pretty dumb, even if it was true. I found it a little far fetched that a man who is holding a shot gun, who wants to die, and wants the cop to help him would just drop it because the cop stepped out of his line of fire. It seems pretty cool though how the training works for the gun firing like that of the sword, but holding a sword and shooting a gun are a little different. The gun disarm on page 42-43 also seems a little out of place. I understand that IF you were a cop, and if a guy held a gun to you, pretty much he will shoot you or not shoot you, you can't give him your wallet and make him go away, and so that might be reasonable to try that technique. But given the distance between the attacker and defender at the start, if I had a guy pull a gun, I'd just give him my wallet.

Xingyi Bayonet, did not read it, I might not. I should though.

Baton Retention Techniques, my only question is why does that guy keep smiling?

The Ngo Cho Kune article seems pretty nice as well. I liked seeing what many say are "karate only" type weapons not found in CMA arts being used in CMA.

No comment on the Tonfa's Chinese Grandpa article.

The Wing Chun article, I just found, I totally missed it. I'll read it later.

The concept of the issue seems great, showing how police forces apply martial techniques, and the writing was nicely done in most cases, but the pictures of techniques seemed out of place. More to come.

M_ArtsMargie
02-06-2004, 05:08 PM
hey Philbert**how you doing?

I was reading the articale of Baguzhang and I found it very interesting as well. though the beginning is a little (something you see in a move) i guess it can happen. I think when ones thought is so cocentrated on applying his tactics, that if something moves or he loses his thought for a breif moment, can make people do some dumb things. even if it is dropping his own weapon. You know how we see in movies..were like..ya right. come on.

I also read the protect and to serve article..this was very interesting as well. as far as the rope part..i'm right there with you. But then in the beginning it does state in the article "that not anyone can do this" Tony Chen is a very skilled master and there are alot of people that can take weapons away with items. besides the rope...look at the steel fan. YOu can obtain weapons from an opponent with that one as well. we dont know exactly how it works...it just takes some one skilled in it to accomplish that task.

page 29...i see what your saying about the incredible hulk.lol u so funny

PHILBERT
02-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Wow, you replied first! :D I expected Gene would be waiting for me to post the review that I tend to do frequently. I feel special now.

Im gonna go get some choclate milk to celebrate.

Aye, and as for how I am doing, I am doing well. I am thinking of getting another job, just something on the side, cause I have 2 days off during the week with no work/school so I figured I'd work 8 hours a day on those 2 days to earn a little extra spending dough. I want to get a new computer.

GeneChing
02-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks for your comments.

Tony's is really fast with that rope. I'm sure that someone could be faster, but someone can always be faster with rabbit punches; no technique is fool-proof. However his rope technique is very impressive, and there was a lot of stuff that he wouldn't let me show. Too bad. The best stories I can never print, only allude to...:(

The guy Margie is hitting is our webmaster Jake. He's also the one getting kicked in the head on the back cover. We like striking him, he's a webmaster. :p

No comments on the Wushu article? :rolleyes:

PHILBERT
02-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Wushu article?

I'll get back to you on that.

GeneChing
02-09-2004, 04:47 PM
...well sort of. ;)

Anyway, here's the link to the issue Mar Apr 2004 (http://store.martialartsmart.net/kf200121.html)

norther practitioner
02-10-2004, 04:30 PM
So far so good, I haven't finished yet, prob. will tonight.. I liked the angle on some of this stuff, different than usual cop articles.

Vash
02-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Was pretty good. As far as quality, certainly nothing to gripe about. As for content, well, these types of articles just don't get my blood moving all that much. But, that's a personal thing, not really a criticism.

Good stuff.

GeneChing
02-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Actually, I've been thinking that PHILBERT's original comment
It was not what I was expecting at first. I find very very flattering. I hate being expected. ;)

norther practitioner: Interesting. How would you define usual cop articles?

Vash: What does get your blood moving? Please don't say Margie. I'm not writing an article on her....

Vash
02-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
Vash: What does get your blood moving? Please don't say Margie. I'm not writing an article on her....

Well, no, it's not Margie (sorry Margie). My girlfriend gets jealous enough, I don't need her confiscating my copies of KF/TC.

Well, the things I find most interesting. Hmm. That's a toughy. I enjoy anything regarding training methods such as Plum Flower Pole, Wooden Dummy, and Iron skills. Analysis of body mechanics and power generation in different KF styles is always a good read. Applications from techniques in classical forms.

And then I like general articles covering the less-known styles, or those that look at more wide-spread styles in a different light.

Turn off's include modern Wushu and MMA.

PHILBERT
02-10-2004, 10:51 PM
...Vash: What does get your blood moving? Please don't say Margie. I'm not writing an article on her....

Darn...

KC Elbows
02-11-2004, 08:20 AM
On gun disarms: there was a point here in KC where the police chief actually recommended as a response to having a gun pulled on you to immediately struggle for the gun, if possible. He got a lot of flak for this, but I think the statement was made under the assumption that there were probably a number of shooters loose at the time who were shooting anyway, whether the victim cooperated or not. Similar situation to when I was last in New Orleans- the napoleonic codes there made burglary and robbery almost as bad sentence-wise as murder, so if someone was robbing you, they might just shoot you, since you were often the only witness to the robbery.

Second part- articles I like- there was an Adam Hsu article recently in one mag that was about testing your kung fu for effectiveness. It had several little tester forms, not complex stuff, but the sort of stuff that kung fu practitioners SHOULD immediately understand if they tried it. I thought they were clever forms and a good article.

I tend to enjoy articles on rare weapons(there's one really young looking guy who does them for your mag, he looks just like one of my classmates, but his articles are always enjoyable, not pretensious or arrogant, just the facts), and on rare styles, though not when it gets to the point of bragging or outright fabrication. Articles that get into the theoretical side of their art interest me, while straight up applications articles usually leave me cold.

I also like chi kung articles that actually have content about chi kung, as opposed to articles that talk about chi kung masters. For that matter, I prefer articles about the arts over articles about those who do the arts, except in cases of very influential practitioners, and even then, I prefer the emphasis being on what about their kung fu makes them special.

So if you could get started on my issue, thanks. Throw in a Margie swimsuit pictorial for Philbert, while you're at it.

I'll have to check out the hsing yi bayonet. It's essentially a scaled down version of the spear forms, right?

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 07:19 AM
And btw, the above post was not meant to say you folk weren't already doing a good job. I just figured feedback is always useful to an editor.

GeneChing
02-12-2004, 10:19 AM
We really do appreciate your feedback. I'm an applications man myself, so I totally agree about the training methods, apparatus, power generation, forms decoding, etc. You might notice that we've been moving in this direction a little more lately. Aslo, as a former antique weapon dealer, I love weapons, so there's more to come here too. As for qigong, that one is a little tricky becuase it is very difficult to write about. Not only do we have to find a qualified master, we have to find a good writer - of course this is true with any article, but the level is much more elusive with qigong. But we're working at that too. As for modern wushu, sorry Vash, but we will always report on that. I realize that many traditionalists reject it, but it is such a part of CMA that we must always cater to Wushu aficionados as well. MMA, we don't do much of that now. We are interest fringe CMA styles, like Vietnamese, Indonesian, etc, variations, and alos how CMA might deal with prevalent fight strategies like BJJ or Muay thai, but I think our CMA root keeps us away from most MMA stuff, except the occasional JKD article perhaps.

Keep the commentary coming. It's always nice to here some feedback, and we do actually listen to it.

SimonW
02-13-2004, 07:29 AM
KC, much agreed with what you said.

I was amazed at how much mag space my letter took up in the last issue! Thanks Gene!

GeneChing
02-13-2004, 11:26 AM
You know, this forum is a novel way to interact with our readers and obviously, I've been really having a lot of fun with it. But it's still nice to get a letter or email that is specifically composed for possible publication in our print magazine. Since we created this forum, fewer people submit letters (or emails) with that purpose anymore, but we're still open to it. Obviously, something like this thread topic wouldn't make for a good letter (but it makes a great thread - thanks Philbert!)

It's funny too, that since the forum came up, I've been getting more 'threats' about writing letters. I'm sure you've seen them at the end of some of the threads. They almost never follow through. :rolleyes:

M_ArtsMargie
02-13-2004, 06:24 PM
KC**only if its leather.

Philbert**good for you second jobs are somewhat good..just no time really to have for yourself. i used to bartend on the weekends and it was tiring..working 6 days a week here and 2 days on the weekend. its tiring..but good luck. i need to get a computer too.

I really like shaolin kungfu....the whole style just fascinates me. love to ready about it. dats my input...hehehe

Gene***good times....good times;)

KC Elbows
02-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by M_ArtsMargie
KC**only if its leather.

Gene, you need to fly with this one. It's pure gold, I tell ya, pure gold!:D

You can have the "leather and lei tai" issue.:D

GeneChing
02-18-2004, 10:57 AM
You guys gotta remember that I worked on Folsom street in SF for years. You know, SF? Where all the gay marraiges are going down this very minute? For those not in the know, Castro maybe the 'gay' district, but Folsom is the leather district. I could tell you stories about Folsom that would chap your hides. Seriously. You really don't want to go there with me.

norther practitioner
02-18-2004, 11:29 AM
So what you are saying is that you're going to throw a fetish party, with lei tai fights as the special atraction....:D

PHILBERT
02-18-2004, 01:45 PM
You guys gotta remember that I worked on Folsom street in SF for years. You know, SF? Where all the gay marraiges are going down this very minute? For those not in the know, Castro maybe the 'gay' district, but Folsom is the leather district. I could tell you stories about Folsom that would chap your hides. Seriously. You really don't want to go there with me.

But it's alright if I go there with Margie, right?

GeneChing
02-19-2004, 10:35 AM
...you DO NOT want to hear my Folsom stories... :eek:

norther practitioner
02-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Yeah, it's OK Gene.... let it go, it was a long time ago...:D ;)

PHILBERT
02-20-2004, 08:17 AM
I never asked to hear the Folsom stories, I simply asked if it would be ok if I went with Margie. :cool:

GeneChing
02-20-2004, 10:39 AM
Actually, Margie and I were once talking about getting a booth at the Folsom Street fair to try and sell some Iron crotch gear (http://www.ironcrotch.com/). It was sort of a ruse on my part - she has no idea what she'd be in for at Folsom St. I had worked there for a few years before I actually went to the fair and I was shocked. SHOCKED. In fact, I feel that once there, you can never go all the way back. I just couldn't do that to young innocent Margie. ;)

PHILBERT
02-20-2004, 11:07 AM
Now you make me want to go all the more.

KC Elbows
02-20-2004, 12:11 PM
I could tell you stories about Folsom that would chap your hides.

Or hide our chaps?:D

Now we're delving into Gene's dark past. This is the really dangerous stuff. Finally our forum time promises to pay off.

jun_erh
02-22-2004, 12:38 PM
I had a friend who was into S & m and got her to pst here once. She wanted somene to come to her house and beat her with here telescope. Aren't those things expensive? Anyway it all got deleted and this is probably a good thing her profile (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10515)

GeneChing
02-23-2004, 11:22 AM
OK, so here';s a little story, not even a good one, but just a tease/taste. We had our plubming go out once at the Armoury (www.amfence.com) so no one could use the bathroom. It knocked out several places in the neighborhood. So there was this guy working there, an FNG from out of state, nice clean-cut fencer, didn't last long. Anyway, he had to go #2 REAL bad, so he goes to the bar next door, the one with the leather curtain *warning! leather curtains!* now keep in mind this is midweek, in the afternoon. he walks in and there are some guys in full leather at the bar and it's like the star wars cantina when obiwan cuts that alien's hand off - only everyone is checking him out, head to toe and everything in between. he sheepish asks for the bathroom and when he goes in, there are no stalls, just toilets and some guys follow him in. he clamps down all his orifices as hard as he can and runs to the exit in terror. he was so badly traumatized that we quit soon after.

MasterKiller
02-24-2004, 08:05 AM
OK...Gene, can you clear up a little stupidness from the new issue?

In the "10 things about Qi" article, it says paintings of the monks do not show them with six-pack abs because Qigong gives you a nice round belly. However, the bronze statues at Shaolin show six-pack abs, like this picture:

So which is it?

Vash
02-24-2004, 08:21 AM
OT:
I'd prefer the 6 pack abs to the indestructible buddha belly (which I've got right now, actually).

Anyway, that looks like a movement out of a Gojuryu weapon's form I have. Is that a white crane stance?

norther practitioner
02-24-2004, 09:46 AM
High stance.. tiger claw hand... don't know.

Vash
02-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Wouldn't suprise me if it's not. I know zilch about most kung fu. Just know that Gojuryu was influenced by white crane, and that basic posture is in a Gojuryu form.

I guess we should diverge and find out. MK, where'd you get the pic?

MasterKiller
02-24-2004, 11:03 AM
MK, where'd you get the pic?
Ancient Chinese secret.

GeneChing
02-24-2004, 11:10 AM
The notion of the qi belly is often debated in martial circles. The Japanese talk about the diamond hara - an strangely distended belly. Which is it? Fair question. In my youth, when I had a six pack, it was a six pack. Now that my belly has become more 'full of qi' I'm siding with the qi belly theory. ;)

Seriously, I think they're both right. It's a shallow mind that cannot hold two competing concepts simultaneously. HOw can you begin to penetrate the yin yang with such a narrow viewpoint? I'd even side a bit more towards the qi belly since it is against the status quo. The notion of six pack abs comes more from ego today. In our times, ego must be qeulled more than ever.

As for the statue itself, it is a modern sculpture, built around '88 for the wushuguan. It is depicts a movement from the end of a traditional shaolin form called xiaohongquan. The statue itself has what I'd call classic communist sculptural features - the ludic recombination that exaggerates the solidity, the broadness. What Dr. REid was referring to was ancient texts, and for the most part, I can't refute his claim. But that too was locked into the style of art of the time, so I'm not sure you can make the suppostion that it was a true depiction. I find that argument a bit of a reach, but it's not so bothersome that I'd bother to contest it.

Vash
02-24-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller

Ancient Chinese secret.

Darnit! Your kung fu is too strong for me!

jun_erh
02-24-2004, 11:45 AM
gene- I guess you didn't see the interests part of the profile, or it wasn't graphic enough for you.

That qi article was great, especially #10 about the 4 gates. But I am also cnfused abut the belly business. In Chinese Boxing Robert Smith made the point that the stomach muscles were the most important thing for an athlete.

GeneChing
02-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Dr. Reid is an earnest qigong practitioner and healer (and also covers films for our e-zine) - that article was the last of a trilogy. Check out part one and two, in Sep Oct 2002 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=235) and Nov Dec 2002 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=236) respectively. As for the belly business, you'll find a lot more discussion of this if you study the Japanese arts. The hara is emphasized more overtly in Kendo, Judo, Sumo and Aikido. You can even see it in Karate and Kenpo. In CMA, parallel theories exist, but they haven't been translated so eloquently yet. And of course, there is discussion.

As for the profile, it really doesn't impress me that much. When I was working on Folsom at the sword shop, we had a leather room where we made sheathes, frogs and scabbards. We would buy full hides and had all the equipment. One of our employees started dabbling in making B&D stuff, using our equipment and buying his own hides. He started making some serious $$ and was actively researching it through the various B&D publications. Nasty stuff. Hardcore. That didn't bother us so much, but he started damaging the equipment and working on his own projects on company time. Eventually, he had to leave.

Odin of Wei
03-07-2004, 12:09 PM
I liked the bit on Qigong...that showed me alot...even though I'm still not finished with it.

But what confused me was the pictures for the baton bit. It was hard to see some of the postions...like the part where the one with the baton gets his wrist grabed. I don't see how you restrain him at the very end of the move. He was sort of blocking it...

Pinyi was cool too!

I still remember the one one Kun Tao awhile back. My sifu told me that "Uncle Bill" isn't really that great.

GeneChing
03-08-2004, 11:04 AM
As for Uncle Bill, I haven't met him, but you're the first I've heard to mention anything negative. Of course, if we didn't run people that some Sifu said "isn't really that great" we couldn't run anyone. Everyone has detractors.

Odin of Wei
03-08-2004, 06:48 PM
As for Uncle Bill, I haven't met him, but you're the first I've heard to mention anything negative. Of course, if we didn't run people that some Sifu said "isn't really that great" we couldn't run anyone. Everyone has detractors.
My sifu let me borrow a tape he was it...I recored it but I never had a chance to watch it.

If you'll like I'll ask my Sifu why he doesn't like him.

umm...would "uncle" Bill see this?! :eek:
ha ha ha

GeneChing
03-09-2004, 10:22 AM
... this is a free access forum.:cool:

SimonW
03-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Just been thinking some more about the magazine. With all the contributors contacts, has anybody thought about approaching the masters themselves to see if they would like to write something? I'm talking about people such as Lam Jo, Lam Chun Fai etc.

GeneChing
03-09-2004, 02:59 PM
...they don't speak English. For two, a lot of high ranking masters can't write to save their lives. They may be great teachers, but that doesn't make them good writers at all. It puts us in an awkward position - especially if we request a piece - when it comes out poorly. It opens a horrible can of worms when it comes to etiquette, especially for 'old school' masters who have many odd expectations about what others should do for them. So what we prefer is that frelance authors do the interview and make it more presentable as an article.

BTW, here's the one we did with Lam Chun Fai (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=146)

jun_erh
03-25-2004, 02:50 PM
I'm not interested in what anyone under the age of 100 has to say about kung fu

norther practitioner
03-25-2004, 03:54 PM
Nor do they of your :p

I wasn't particularly keen on the bagua article. Seemed to talk down to the readers.

GeneChing
03-26-2004, 11:10 AM
You mean Painter's article? How do you mean "talk down"?

I'm not interested in what anyone under the age of 100 has to say about kung fu Didn't Dr. Seuss just turn 100?

norther practitioner
03-26-2004, 01:09 PM
Just seemed like it was a soap box article.
Let me reread it this weekend, I'll give some specifics.

I was surprisingly impressed by the xing yi bayonette article...

I thought that was really cool.

GeneChing
03-26-2004, 02:34 PM
I see. I suppose that their all soap box articles after a fashion. I would say that 70% of the submissions that we receive fall in a catagory that I call "I, me, mine" articles. Few people can actually write past their own schools. That's a shame, really, it shows the self-centeredness within our arts. Fortunately, they aren't all like that. But to some degree, every writer has his or her agenda.

When you said "talk down" I thought you meant he was taking a 'holier than thou" perspective, which I didn't really get from that article (I get that from other articles, surely).

SimonW
03-26-2004, 03:09 PM
Well, let's just hope you get more from Adam Hsu. He does some good stuff.

GeneChing
03-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Remember this thread, SimonW? (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=26985) ;)

SimonW
03-26-2004, 05:07 PM
LOL, didn't see that one Gene. Guess it's horses for courses.

GeneChing
03-26-2004, 06:22 PM
You see how it is here? Anything we publish will please some people and bother some one else. Such is the martial world. Every one has their opinions. It would make it hard if we were thin skinned, but then again, if we were thin skinned, we wouldn't be in the martial arts. :cool:

Odin of Wei
03-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
Just seemed like it was a soap box article.
Let me reread it this weekend, I'll give some specifics.

I was surprisingly impressed by the xing yi bayonette article...

I thought that was really cool.
Same here!

GeneChing
03-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Same here! soap box of really cool? or both? I really like to hear your comments but please give some more details. :)

Odin of Wei
03-31-2004, 03:14 PM
soap box of really cool? or both? I really like to hear your comments but please give some more details. :)
My bad, the Xing Yi.

I saw some stuff on it in a book but it was very little.

That bit got be thinking, back when I heard that there is a gun martial art.

Anyone know if that's true?:confused:

GeneChing
03-31-2004, 06:21 PM
In Japan, I think it was called hojitsu, but it was more for ancient firearms, like flintlocks and such. I've seen some pistol drawing techniques based on Bagua - in fact, it was Dr. Painter who shared some of those with me. It's a lot of weird covert drawing techniques that allow you to draw a bead in an evasive action very quickly, sort of a variation of sword drawing arts. But once your gun is out - shoot! There's really not much more to it than that.

Odin of Wei
04-01-2004, 07:23 AM
In Japan, I think it was called hojitsu, but it was more for ancient firearms, like flintlocks and such. I've seen some pistol drawing techniques based on Bagua - in fact, it was Dr. Painter who shared some of those with me. It's a lot of weird covert drawing techniques that allow you to draw a bead in an evasive action very quickly, sort of a variation of sword drawing arts. But once your gun is out - shoot! There's really not much more to it than that.
Oh, that's intresting.

Ummm I think the Bagua is in this month's issue, am I right?

And have you seen the movie, Equilibrium? If you haven't you really should, I highly recomend it.
Most people probably never heard of it due to the director like running out of money or something and he didn't really advertise it too much. But in it there is like an insane gun martial art.

It just really cool to watch.http://www.freewebs.com/equilibrium-movie/

GeneChing
04-01-2004, 10:12 AM
...our new issue, May June 2004, should be on stands right about now. There's no bagua in it. I was just referenceing something Dr. Painter showed me privately. I get shown a lot of stuff that never makes it into the mag for various reasons...;)

Odin of Wei
04-02-2004, 02:59 PM
...our new issue, May June 2004, should be on stands right about now. There's no bagua in it. I was just referenceing something Dr. Painter showed me privately. I get shown a lot of stuff that never makes it into the mag for various reasons...;)
obiviously...:rolleyes:

:D

SimonW
04-03-2004, 12:47 AM
Is there any reference to the May/June issue contents on the site?

Vash
04-03-2004, 07:07 PM
I hope May/June is out right now. I've got enough to go to WallyWorld and check it out.

If it's not, oh, well. Maybe I can get that IKF with the Shaolin Do chick. :eek: :cool: :D

GeneChing
04-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Simon - we'll post the table of contents and the cover story of the new issue in a week or two. We post all of that here (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/index.php) - you'll find a complete archive of all our cover stories there.

BTW, I'm really delighted to hear so much enthusiasm here about when the next issue comes out - (see KFTC FAQ (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=29379)). Thanks for your support.

John Painter
11-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by PHILBERT
This is an interesting issue, doing it pretty much on police.

Baguazhang Law Enforcement by Dr Painter. I thought the opening story was pretty dumb, even if it was true. I found it a little far fetched that a man who is holding a shot gun, who wants to die, and wants the cop to help him would just drop it because the cop stepped out of his line of fire. It seems pretty cool though how the training works for the gun firing like that of the sword, but holding a sword and shooting a gun are a little different. The gun disarm on page 42-43 also seems a little out of place. I understand that IF you were a cop, and if a guy held a gun to you, pretty much he will shoot you or not shoot you, you can't give him your wallet and make him go away, and so that might be reasonable to try that technique. But given the distance between the attacker and defender at the start, if I had a guy pull a gun, I'd just give him my wallet.

Hi,

As to the opening story that came from an Ohio sheriffs officer. I had nothing to do with it. I did not write the article either.. The gun idea is one that Sgt. Krausman called APC or Action Pistol Response. It is not based on how one holds a sword as much as how one uses intention (Yi) to thrust the sword into a target. This method which was taught by me to Sgt. Krausman, (The author of the article and head of the American Rangers Ohio Company A) we were in Toronto at a workshop when we were discussing terrorism.

APC has been taught to thousands of law enforcement officers and allows them to draw and fire with very high accuracy while standing and also while running. You would have to see it to believe just how accurate and they can do it all without using their gun sites. It is entirely based on internal martial principles. The attorney general in Ohio liked the system so much that she asked for it to become part of the state curriculum. I first learned it with that Mauser pistol from my teacher. You know the one that so many like to ditz about on our web site.

The gun take away is a basic Baguazhang turning method. It can be used when one officer is in such close proximity to a suspect who is holding a firearm that it is not practical for him to draw his weapon. Any of our officers who are certified in these methods or I will be more than happy to demonstrate these particular tactics on you doubting Thomas’s and you can use an air soft or paint ball gun to see if it really works. The only requirement is that you stand in the same range as shown in the photos.

If you live so close come visit us I would like to get to know you.

John P. Painter
Capt. American Rangers
Texas Company A

PS: The guy in the photos is a Federal Air Marshall.

GeneChing
11-30-2004, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the comments, John. It's good to see you rebutting critics personally here. I admire any author who will stand behind his work on the forum here, but maybe that's because I have to do it myself all the time here. :cool:

PHILBERT
11-30-2004, 06:22 PM
I really appreciate the feedback Dr. Painter on the article. I will try to come visit sometime, between working full time and school full time (plus training and what pitiful social life I try to muster together) it is somewhat difficult. Though I should get around to it, if I remember correctly, you are located only a mile away from where I live. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback.

John Painter
12-01-2004, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the comments, John. It's good to see you rebutting critics personally here. I admire any author who will stand behind his work on the forum here, but maybe that's because I have to do it myself all the time here. :cool:

Dere Gene,
I do not mind if I am in town and not too busy. There are some good things on this forum although I admit I do not monitor it very frequently. I appreciate your magazine giving me a forum for our work.

I look forward to seeing you in PA this coming year and hope you can get free to go visit my friend Frank Frazetta at his musem.

John P. Painter

GeneChing
12-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Hey John,
You know I'm all over that museum this year. We should schedule the Festival around the museum trip. Maybe we should suggest that to Jim - he can add it as a feature to the program! ;) BTW, did you see this thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=32625)