PDA

View Full Version : The name WU PING

fiercest tiger
02-07-2004, 10:32 AM
can someone translate Wu Ping the wu is like in wushu or martial i think ping means clam or something, can anyone help?

FT

norther practitioner
02-07-2004, 10:37 AM
Any context?

fiercest tiger
02-08-2004, 03:14 AM
Any context, i just want to know a deeper meaning or a better meaning to these 2 characters wu and ping!

thanks
FT

Ben Gash
02-08-2004, 05:50 AM
FT, we need to know dialect and the inflection on the Ping as well as what the phrase is in conjunctuion with.

fiercest tiger
02-08-2004, 07:01 AM
wu as in wushu and ping as in peaceful or calm, is there a ping and wu like this is chinese characters?

Its a name given to me!

FT

Stranger
02-08-2004, 09:19 AM
dialect
shmialect

Here we go....

WU= "martial"

PING= "clam"

Now the problem most people have is they translate too literally. True, WU means "martial" but it also means "to fight, quarrel, or snap".

Now the PING clam is an odd creature. Native of the South China Sea, the Ping is noted for its fibrous growth which surrounds its shell's edge. This unique feature has earned the PING the nickname "bearded clam".

WU PING means " martial clam" literally, but with a little linguistic know-how, we can see that the actual translation is more like "fighting bearded clam". This lets us transition to "snapping pu$$y" or "snapper" for short.

I believe that your sifu has dubbed you "snapper". It probably comes from the Kegle Chi Kung you practice. :D

WanderingMonk
02-08-2004, 09:44 AM
I attached a gif file of the two characters that I think you are referring to.

On first inspection, I would said:

Think of it like an acroynm. Wu - martial - stop conflict (if you break it into its radical)

ping - peace - fair - level (level head, peaceful mind). One of Kwan Yu's adopted son had the name ping.

There are some neat thing about chinese name.

Typical chinese name: Clan name, given name.

Clan name comes first. Your clan is more important. than your individuality. It is a typical agrian society thing.

Clan name (often one character, sometimes two, if two characters, his/her ancestor often were northern nomads who invaded/migrated into china in the 11th centruy) .

given name (one or two characters, usually two)- if two characters, the first character sometimes designate rank (i.e., everyone in the same generation will have the same first character in the given name and only the second character would differ) . So, if you ever meet your clans men away from home village/province/country, you can figure out your relations by checking the first characters of given name (same generation, a generation old, two generation older, etc.)

If the name is given by a scholar (in the old days), the name might be a reference to sentecnes in old confucian text which emphasis certain moral value. The name is given to remind the bearer to uphold these values/attribute.

It can also be acroynm, but if it is an acroynm, then it is ripe for all type of interpretation in which it can run all over the map. If this is the case, it is always best to consult the person who gave the name to determine the significance or his hope for the bearer.

wm

BentMonk
02-08-2004, 10:22 AM
ROFLMAO @ Stranger...that was some funny shiat.

fiercest tiger
02-08-2004, 08:21 PM
LOL, snapper!

wandering monk,

Cheers i had an idea but thanks for the breakdown mate.

FT