PDA

View Full Version : The Press

bustr
02-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Have any of you guys used the press, push or shoulder strikes common to Baji and Taiji to fend off a good puncher? What kind of luck did you have? I was watching some Vale Tudo fights today and never saw any of these techniques. It seems like they would be good to drive an opponent backwards provided there was a barrier between the fighters and audience. I'd like to hear from some of the KuoShu and SanSau fighters on this.

matt
02-08-2004, 09:32 PM
there are many ways to use press in general the reason why is another story i have seen press used in many places and it is a way to cause a concussive black out in some of the applications which i think are better learned from a expert that could revive your target if you get out of hand

TaiChiBob
02-09-2004, 05:28 AM
Greetings..

In one sparring session there was a good boxer that would rush with a lead right to set up a left hook.. after the 2nd or third of these rushes i tried deflecting the right across his mid-line while sinking onto my back leg and maintaining my stance.. the result was that it positioned me perfectly to execute a left shoulder-press into his exposed ribs, the tension stored in my twisted waist and crouched stance added the necessary power to effectively imact the rib/liver area, up-root him and send him stumbling backwards.. it was not a finishing move but it did encourage him to alter his plan.. the end result was that i had a new respect for a boxer's torso conditioning and a better respect for the effectiveness of Qinna.. boxers are not trained or conditioned to deal with Qinna..

Be well...

wiz cool c
02-09-2004, 08:31 AM
I used shoulder shrike in the street. Some guy bumped my girlfriend out of the way in the street intentionaly. She had a bad hip injury when she was younger and cant swurve side to side so easly. Right before that he was giving me a dirty look. So I started walking twards him to bump him back in the prosses of bumping into him he tried some resitence with his body and I slamed him in the front of his body with a shoulder strike it was a very effective strike. His friend then jently pushed me to stick up for his friend and I palm heeled him on the side of his neck not hard though that was all that happend. They thought I was a made man and dident want to fight. His two friends dident see him bump my girlfriend and thought I was just some crazy guy stating a fight for no reason. Stupid story but the blatant disrespect of this guy sent me over the edge.

Thundermudd
02-11-2004, 07:37 PM
I didn't necessarily use a press but a push rather.
While in sparring I let my opponent finish their technique and as soon as they began to retreat I used a nice uplifting push - pretty cool effect