PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding good doublebroadsword practice sword

Youngmantis
02-07-2004, 11:55 PM
Hey guys i need to find a double saber(broadsword) training sword, like any type of training sword metal or not thats dull, not sharp so i wont cut my self. well thats all if any of u guys know any good links on the internet where i could order a practice doublesaber set than pleez post it pleez and thank you

peace

David Jamieson
02-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Double Broadswords - spring steel (http://store.martialartsmart.net/45-67sp30.html)

lol, they were right under your nose!

cheers

Youngmantis
02-08-2004, 12:21 PM
thanks man but i'm still kinda worried about cutting my self, can i cut my self with those?

mickey
02-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Hi Youngmantis,

Just a suggestion: Head over to a lumber yard and get a heavy wood (oak, cocobolo) stick about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and have them split it lengthwise in half. You can apply your own finish and hand wraps.

mickey

mickey
02-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Youngmantis,

If you are serious about developing the kung fu with the double broadswords, use two heavy baseball bats. You can practice shock impact and strike strength with the bats on a heavy bag. The bats will develop your grip and forearm strength, as well as your shoulders. When you work out with real broadswords after a 4-6 months of this you will be in for a real surprise. You will be at the point where all you have to work on is flavor.

mickey

David Jamieson
02-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Youngmantis-

If you get ahead of yourself, if you get sloppy because you are getting ahead of yourself, if the form is not fully understood, then you could cut yourself I suppose, but it's not like these swords are razor sharp.

How ever, if you practice properly, do things as you were shown to do them and the form itself is correct, then it is unlikely that you will cut yourself.

bats and swords do not have the same weight whatsoever. I don't agree with that advice. However, you can get wooden swords which are weighted more closely to the real thing and use 2 of them when practicing your double b-sword form.

By the time you've learne the whole form you will likely want to get yourself a real set and six the woods.

You are getting the basics of the weapons and a form is that right? Or are you just messing around with them trying out stuff? In which case, I would advise against this. There is some very basic information about swords that is necessary to know before actually weilding the weapon. It's easier to learn this from a teacher or a video at the very least first.

cheers

Youngmantis
02-08-2004, 11:59 PM
to kung lek i'm learning the basics and such but i guess i'll buy two broadswords and not a double set, theres not much difference between a double broadsword and a single broadsword except the handguard right?

Fu-Pau
02-09-2004, 03:19 AM
The quickest and cheapest way to get practice double broad swords is to get 2 wooden broadswords and shave off the inner side of the 2 guards and handles so that the 2 swords can be held together as one.

Shaolinlueb
02-09-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Youngmantis
to kung lek i'm learning the basics and such but i guess i'll buy two broadswords and not a double set, theres not much difference between a double broadsword and a single broadsword except the handguard right?

depending on the form, you need the handguard shaved.

mickey
02-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Greetings Brothers,

Yes, it is true that bats and swords do not have the same balance; that is the beauty of it. It strengthens the wrists really and arms really well (like club bell work). If you are only looking to learn a form to only finesse it after you have learned it, then don't bother with the bats. I think the bats will give the practitioner a feel of training with the real, heavy, weapons of old; the battlefield kind.

mickey

blooming lotus
02-09-2004, 04:11 PM
ever since crouching tiger hidden dragon I decided that besides my stick, the double broadsword would be my weapon of choice, but besides love of the game or preservation of art, what use does it have? It's not like you're about to run down a street weilding your sword slaying nasty vahrments....

Fu-Pau
02-09-2004, 08:11 PM
are you going to run down the street with a stick, or a baseball bat "slaying nasty vahrments...." ?

If so please hand yourself in to the nearest police station.

GeneChing
02-10-2004, 10:40 AM
Weapons train the mind and spirit. They teach you to project your qi through the inanimate. Master weapons and any object can be a weapon.

I don't think I'd recommend the baseball bat idea, at least not for a long period. Sounds like the recipe for tennis elbow. Seriously, it's a myth that combat swords were grossly heavy. Certainly they were heavier then modern wushu swords (http://store.martialartsmart.net/45-67wu30.html). but if you look at the actual historic examples, they are quite well balanced, for obvious reasons. A baseball bat is balanced as a two-handed tool so it's probably not wise to use it to practice so.

rubthebuddha
02-10-2004, 11:35 AM
baseball bats are nowhere near the same feel as a weapon. bats put much of the weight toward the end. aside from the obvious reason of having a larger hitting surface at the end, it's weighted this way much because having weight at the outside of the circle of rotation means that impact (power) on the ball will be greater.

mickey is right about strengthening the wrists, but practicing with something that does not offer the same feel as a sword would, to me, develop habits not best suited for a weapon. do other exercises for wrist strengthening, then go beat up something inanimate with a proper weapon.

blooming lotus
02-10-2004, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GeneChing
[B]Weapons train the mind and spirit. They teach you to project your qi through the inanimate.

HMMM.....I like it...:D :cool:

GeneChing
02-12-2004, 11:02 AM
I suppose the equivalent of using bats for swords is when you put those weight rings on a bat to warm up. It's good for some occasions, but definately not a replacement for normal regular practice. In Japanese sword, there is a specific practice that uses a weighted wooden sword called a suburito (http://store.martialartsmart.net/40-07.html) - suburi refers to a specific practice method to means sword (I believe it's the same character as dao) This is a vital part of sword practice, often recited in every training period, but they still use normal weight swords most of the time. I haven't really found an equivalent in China, but it wouldn't be hard to imagine one. The one big point on suburi is that you DO NOT do too many repetitions. Typically, after your warm up, you would do some cuts with the suburito - beginners might do 10, more advanced might work up to 50 or more, but they are simple cuts, just to build muscle.

mickey
02-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Hello Brothers,

I didn't and wouldn't recommend the weighted ring on the baseball bat; just the bats themsleves. Now I understand your concern with tendonitis. I am learning that words paint strange pictures in the minds of readers! (laughter)

Gene and rubthebuddha, get yourselves two bats and try your double broadsword set a couple of times using control and then go back to the blades. You will understand what I am talking about. It is the equivalent of training with the weighted calligraphy pen shown in the chin na video Gene produced.

Get back to us on this.

mickey

GeneChing
02-13-2004, 11:32 AM
I've done double broadsword with two suburito. They work better than bats. After all, that's what they're designed for. :cool:

norther practitioner
02-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Double broadsword comes for me in like a year or so.. I have a bunch to learn before that...

mickey
02-13-2004, 12:32 PM
Greetings Brothers,

Gene, bats or suburitos are all the same to me. It's the result that matters. Had I experience with suburitos, I probably would have recommended. I am simply dead set against the learning of any weapon without the necessary strength to work them properly.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the suburito, Gene. Another method of training learned.

mickey

rubthebuddha
02-13-2004, 06:04 PM
mickey -- i don't have two broadswords, nor do i know a double-broadsword form. my point is that the balance of each item is substantially different. a bastball bat's balance point is close to the barrel, while a sword's balance point is closer to the handle. doing these seperately can develop bad habits. comparing rings on bats to practicing with bats instead of swords is only partly analogous, because the rings stick further down the barrel and, thus, keep the weight out away from the hands, mimmicking a normal bat. batters don't usually use these rings except when they're in the on deck circle. the reason? they time themselves with a weighted bat against the pitcher while he pitches to the current batter. once they get that timing down with a little extra effort, it will be easier to catch a fastball when they do actually step up to the plate.

gene's idea of using a heavier item of similar balance is far better for similar reasons, and it's also better in cases of tendonitis. the more momentum the outside of the bat has, the harder you have to work to stop it, and that's what tendons don't like. in a baseball swing, the only time the batter wants to stop it midway is when he's already going forward and knows the pitch is not worth swinging at. that's infrequent. usually a batter knows earlier that he doesn't need to swing.

GeneChing
02-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Well, this is somewhat true - the Suburito is balanced as a sword, but as a two-handed katana, not a one-handed dao. So in a way, both bats and suburito really improper, just one more so. My point is actually more based on balance in a 'balance your training" not "balance of the weapon". The practice of suburito, like so many things Japanese is strictly codified and logical, and they recommend it's usage, but sparingly and in a controlled manner. This constraint is a device to protect the practitioner from overdoing it, a common mistake of the young and brash. I'm just suggesting that if you venture into this area of practice, you heed the wisdom of your predecessors, and tread warily. That's all.